Agnostic.com

27 1

Veganism: where do you stand?

I understand the humane/environmental benefits of veganism, but biologically humans are meant to be omnivores and by design our nutrition is meant to come from plants and animals. I wonder what others think?

ImpressionistMe 5 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am an omnivore. I raise my own chickens for eggs and hope to someday raise my own livestock for meat and dairy. When I can afford it I buy local. That is the way to go for everything. The local food movement is growing. Know your farmer, know your food.

Kim78 Level 4 Feb 12, 2018

I like that idea. There's too much unknown stuff getting into the food supply nowdays, imho.

I have no use for it. What anyone else does is of no concern to me, as long as they don't preach about it.

@PeppermintDreads Yep, and that's when I tell them that I don't give a flying rat's ass, and to keep that bullshit to themselves.
And if anyone uses "woke" in any conversation with me, that conversation is over.

@KKGator what does that mean, "woke"? I've never heard that before.

@Condor5 It's a ridiculous word meaning that someone is cognizant of a particular issue. I get that every generation creates their own terms and adds new words to the lexicon, but some of this is just straight-up bullshit.

@KKGator yeah, I don't even try to keep up, but I hadn't heard that one. My daughter and her friends are very socially and politically conscious, but I've never heard any of them use that term.

@Condor5 Probably because they aren't pretentious little hipsters. LOL

@KKGator I slept in today and finally woke up at 9. I guess this conversation is over

@heathen77 You used the word in it's correct context, and not as slang. Congrats on getting to sleep in. That's always nice.

@KKGator no, they are not that.

I eat vegan for lunch and breakfast. I'm an border line diabetic, so this is one way I control my weight and eat foods that heal. For dinner I eat whatever I want. Today I had almond butter and celery for breakfast, a spinach salad for lunch and steak and potatoes with a Caesar salad for dinner.

I know that eating vegetables only is better for my health, but I like the taste of meat. I am part of
PETA (people eating tasty animals). I tried giving up meat before, but I only lasted five weeks.

Look at the teeth of an animal to better understand its diet. The real problem with food today is the industry surrounding it.

Completely against it... for myself. But I am all for healthy eating. But no one will ever take away my cheese!!! Or eggs or steak or yogurt...

Sacha Level 7 Feb 12, 2018

I don't know that we were meant to be omnivores I am allergic to meat and dairy and have been since a child as was my mother - Its an unusual allergy but I seem to get all the nutrients I need am pretty fit and active for a very soon to be 70 year old na don't have many health problems.

If eating vegan makes you happy, fine. I don't do well on a vegan diet. I could probably manage as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but I choose to be an omnivore with a primary focus on plant foods.

Yes, people are omnivores. Both meat and vegetation are the appropriate food sources for humans. That said, I wish some people wouldn't eat dogs. It makes me sad. But, honestly, if some people don't feel good about eating the carcasses of other creatures, I have absolutely no problem with that, just don't denigrate me for wanting a good hamburger now and then, OK?

though I am a vegan, not by choice, I don't mind what anybody else eats and don't mind them eating it in front of me either. I do dislike people having me down as a purist!

@jacpod yeah, labels suck, don't they?

I'm there , for many years, and happier for it.

Take a look at Gorillas, Chimps, Bonomos, etc They are all almost exclusively plant eaters.
Our teeth are plant eater teeth....not carnavoire teeth. Our loooooong intestines are better suited for plant digestion.
Scientific studies have shown plants are better for good health and dairy and meat are not.

My sister was a vegetarian for most of her young life. Mom made her food just for her. When she got pregnant, she lost her first 2 kids because she hadn't had enough animal protein in her diet as a child. She would become so anemic that she nearly died. Her doctor told her to eat some meat. She is now the mother of 3 healthy adults and can do up a great bbq. Evolution made us omnivorous and only evolution can make us vegan.

I am allergic to dairy so i usually order vegan when I eat out. As a person I try to eat vegetarian (minus dairy) at least one meal day but I am an omnivore.

I can't do it. No way no how. I have gone vegetarian a few times but could never go vegan.

As a side-note I grew up around dairies and it really isnt torture being milked.

I'm a veggie curious omnivore. Millions of people on this earth are vegetarian, more omnivores. Vegetarianism is probably a less damaging kinder lifestyle. Mother nature is not kind, just a finely balanced eco-system.

Vegans are fun to make fun of

I find Vegans delicious. 😉

@Silvertongue Quality, not quantity sir.

Genuinely gave it a go for a week (not very long is it). My aim now is to take a slower approach. I will start by using dairy substitues for milk and cheese, and cut down on meat first before trying again to give it up for good. From a moral point of veiw I have no excuse for eating meat

I feel guilt re meat, but would probably not go vegan, dairy products and eggs seem fine to me.

If dairy seems fine, I’d recommend you look at some diary videos and articles.

I think the forced separation of calf from cow is far from fine. The calves that aren’t slaughtered are raised on formula so we can drink or make cheese from the milk they should be drinking.

I understand the sustainability angle and that there's not enough room for continuing population growth and the livestock that would be required to feed that many people. I know vegetarianism is our best path forward other than using insects as a source of protein.

However, while I understand this on an intellectual level, and I disagree with meat industry practices, I really like meat.

JimG Level 8 Feb 12, 2018

I'll take mine medium rare with onions and shrooms on the side, please and thank you.

I believe that all Earthlings are equal and have the right to live free of enslavement, exploitation, torture, and death from humans. We have choices that allow us to live a cruelty free life if we so choose.

Eating less meat is generally a good thing for you and the environment. A lot of vegans come across as overly preachy it's a running joke that you'll soon discover on meeting someone new if they're vegan as they'll tell you within the first 5 minutes. A lot of my friends are veggie or vegan because they care about animal rights and I would definitely say there is a case for more humane animal husbandry. I'll buy my eggs free range rather than from battery hens for example.

My attitude to vegans is the same as with anybody else, it's your life eat what you like but don't harrass me to do the same.

Outside of it, that is where I stand.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23573
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.