Agnostic.com

44 3

When to write a man off?

I waffle on this a lot having just re-entered the dating world about a year ago. You have a solid first date. Then radio silence. What’s an acceptable amount of time to give him? What’s an acceptable amount of time before you cross him off the list as a non-starter?

For context: no, I’m not waiting by the phone. I’ve had men text that night and had men vanish for 6 weeks and resurface. And I am dating around plenty. So, this is not a pity party. It’s... for science.
#ididntdateinhighschool

• 16 votes
  • 51 votes
  • 18 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 6 votes
  • 4 votes
brainyactress 7 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Would you contact him? And if not why not?

Because he said he was going to and as much as I hate it, the slightest pursuit of a man before six dates always marks a lady as “not serious material.”

@brainyactress I wouldn't mind a mild pursuit by a woman, but I guess that means I'm not a typical man. At the same time, I don't lie or play games so if I said I would send my phone number I would have done so within 24 hours after the date. How much time has passed since this first date? I agree with the other poster that until I actually see someone the second time it's best to have little or no expectations that the second meeting or date is going to happen no matter what was said in person the last time because women often say they want to see a man again to avoid confrontation or embarrassment of being put on the spot. I also agree with the other poster that nowadays it's so hard to read many people on a date as to how it went or was going, so many guys do assume the date went not that well until they hear otherwise from the woman or see her again. As someone posted in another thread, dating is really hard these days partly because so many women never let their guard down so it's not always easy to read them on dates.

My vote for dropping interest in him is not hearing anything for three days. Has it already been that long? If he contacts you in a week, my vote would be let him go no matter what reasons he gives for the delay since he would probably be lying about the cause and was clearly not as into you as you had been into him.

I voted for 24 hours. If they aren’t excited, than it isn’t a match.
Shyness/anxiety could forgive a few days. But a week? Then I’m a fallback.
Compatibility is fickle.

It happens for both sides.
By default I think always that the other person considered the first date a ONS until the second date happens.

What would I know? #ididn'tdateinhighschooleither

Right?!

@brainyactress apparently, there are rules ...

I chose being a stalker... because it's hilarious & well, I like hiding in the bushes.... ???
But seriously I'd give it a few days at least

I think I love you!

@RiverRick Awesome! I’m at the door.

Talk to a tax attorney.

???

Why hang on for any amount of time?
Most men wouldn’t so why should y’all

It’s not so much hanging on. I’m wondering what’s a good deadline to refuse to respond to future contacts. Like if I never hear from him again, whatevs. But what if he calls at 10 days? A month? I have a date tonight so there’s no waiting around. Just trying to figure it all out.

@brainyactress Well speaking from my personal behavior I can tell you this that if after going out with a woman I felt like that time wasn’t enough then I’d reach right back out.

If I was moderately impressed but I also had others that I was dating then I’d do so in a couple of days.
But if you were ok to hang out with but not someone that I’d want to be in relationship with then I’d reach out whenever.

Or if you were an absolute fucking nightmare I wouldn’t say anything to you but if I was in public and you were to see me then I’d grab the nearest gay guy I could find kiss him squeeze his ass and thank you for helping find my true sexuality. ?

Re: Radio Silence. Why is it his responsibility to call you? If you are interested, call him and express an interest.

Because he said he was going to and as much as I hate it, the slightest pursuit of a man before six dates always marks a lady as “not serious material.”

@brainyactress I must have missed that when I read the "Mandatory Rules of Dating Handbook".

@dahermit I used to pursue men whenever I wanted. Men have taught me not to. And, there’s a whole industry re: those dating books.

If you like someone let them go. If they come back then you have something to further develop. If not then there was never anything to begin with.

But how long do I give them to come back. That’s the question. At what point does my ship sail?

@brainyactress If it's not worth waiting for then it's not worth having.

@Nevermind345 If women waited like that for men, we would never stop waiting.

I would expect some sort of contact within 24 hrs. Have you contacted him? If at least one of you isn't excited enough about the encounter to follow up then its probably a nonstarter. Not saying I would write him off completely, just move on in my head.
If you really aren't waiting by the phone at all and it is for science because you really don't care then mabey you should just let it be.

MsAl Level 8 Dec 4, 2018

No, I agree. It’s just between scheduling and kids and work, I almost need a spreadsheet to keep up with the people in my life. Those spaces are valuable. Just figuring out the sweet spot for who gets my psychic energy and who gets deleted. There seems to be no in between.

People do get distracted but a date should be concluded with some mutual time for next date....if neither asked for a next time it's not a man or woman science question. ...if the good date was Friday then s/he must call by Thorsday ....nobody should be left hanging without a plan next weekend

or... just drop a text... Is that so difficult?

You’d think not but as much as I hate to admit it, men hate it. I wish they didn’t.

@brainyactress Really? Just a "Hi, the night was nice, thank you."?

@Pedrohbds Again, I wish it weren’t true. I made those sentiments known as we parted. As did he.

If I really like him, I'd call him up. Let him know you care. If he chooses not to call back or make contact, let go.

Since you're dating around plenty, it shouldn't bother you.

No, I agree. It’s just between scheduling and kids and work, I almost need a spreadsheet to keep up with the people in my life. Those spaces are valuable. Just figuring out the sweet spot for who gets my psychic energy and who gets deleted. There seems to be no in between.

@brainyactress Is there any reason to think a guy isn't just as short on time? We never really know what's going on in someone's life, sometimes even if we're in daily contact.

@bingst ??‍♀️ S’why I’m asking.

@PalacinkyPDX That applies to both parties. And the time factor alone isn't the only thing involved.

This before or after you let them out of the basement ???

[giphy.com]

If a man doesn’t contact you pretty much fairly soon, he’s just not that into you. Especially if a man comes out of the woodwork six weeks later. There was another offer on the table that didn’t pan out.

No, no, Mr. Six Weeks didn’t get a response at all. Mr. six Days is a harder read.

@brainyactress I agree with that.. I opted for three days as the cut off for me. I’m too old for games. You either want to see me again or you don’t. Im very pragmatic like that.

Nobody should tolerate being on a date list or little black book...2 timer triple timing hareem hoarder is a germ typhoid Mary waiting to infest all of us

@GreenAtheist Huh?

@brainyactress respectful dating is not silent or evasive

You don’t wait!!
You keep moving on until you are happy
You’re not happy if you are waiting

It’s not so much hanging on. I’m wondering what’s a good deadline to refuse to respond to future contacts. Like if I never hear from him again, whatevs. But what if he calls at 10 days? A month? I have a date tonight and two other established beaus, so there’s no waiting around. Just trying to figure it all out.

@brainyactress 3 - 6 days is not unreasonable. If a man waited 10 days to call me after a first date, I'd be asking him to remind me how we know one another.

I want to thank all the people who voted for parking outside his home. ??

Please don't stalk it only perpetuates the penis perpetrators

#ididn'tdateinhighschooleither - I was engaged in HS and almost no experience dating. I guess I would say I am a serial monogamist - but I voted 6 days.

@maturin1919 Yeah - my parents were kind of absentee and I had no guidance. I was engaged at 16 and made a lot of bad choices back then.

3 days was the old normal.. 6 days of he has a good excuse as to why .

Okay three days is reasonable, but joining a convent is still the less painful option compared to dating.

Seems like it sometimes... if only I didn’t love men so much.

@brainyactress I know! it sucks doesn't it!

@Kojaksmom That women still love and desire men is proof that sexuality is not a choice.

@brainyactress With all the games women play these days, it goes both ways.....

@TomMcGiverin it does, we know

I love the voting choices. Hilarious! Three days sounds okay. If it seemed like there was an encouraging spark, but then no contact after three days, I might feel a twinge of mild disappointment, but no harm done. So many times I have crossed my own threshold after a date thinking "I hope he loses my number..."

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 4, 2018

Watch the movie, "He's just not into you" and believe what the male lead actor is saying! Ignore the contrived ending.

I can’t watch Greg whatsisname rip off others and then try to act... Oy. But your point is taken.

After you depreciate them down to scrap.
Standard time frame for reporting purposes is 5 years.
😉

?

I think in today's society that women shodul feel free to make a follow up call. Phone lines work in tow diractions. Waiting for HIM to call is giving in to conventions and putting all the power into HIS hands. As a gay man, I'd never let a man have that much dominance over me. If you want equal say in a relationship, you need to establish it right from the start.

You’d think so but as much as I hate to admit it, men hate it. I wish they didn’t. I used to totally pursue whenever I wanted. Men have taught me not to.

@brainyactress Hmmm. I'm feel like I am always the one to initiate.

@Dandewine I used to be. What I’ve learned is that if I back way the hell off and give no pursuit at all besides being kind and polite as called for, they treat me so much better.

@brainyactress I am not saying call many times. Just one call is enough (after 2-3 days). If he still doesn't call, then move on.

If I feel they are uninterested and not responding for a few days, I'll come right out and ask if there is interest so that nobody is wasting their time. No response, is a response.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.