Agnostic.com

52 10

Do you think your birth order has impacted your personality?

Do you have siblings? Where do you fall amongst them? Do you think your personality was influenced by birth order?

I'm an eldest child. Since I am 7 & 10 years older than my brothers, I had to take care of them often. I cooked dinner, gave them baths, did more than my share of babysitting. I think it has impacted my level of responsibility growing up. Being so much older, I never experienced sibling rivalry and didn't feel competitive with my brothers at all. I felt more like an Aunt than a sister sometimes.

I was also old enough to experience what it was like to be an only child. A bit spoiled early on-- and also given a lot of attention prior to my brothers being born. This attention was a good thing, in terms of helping me learn to read, swim, cook, etc... fairly young, as I had that sort of one-on-one mentor-ship from all members of my family.

silvereyes 8 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes I think so. I am the middle child. My older brother was and is my mother's favorite child. My little sister was my father's favorite until he died. I always had to try a little harder to get attention, accolades, or even fair treatment (my brother bullied me) regardless of the fact I was by far the smartest of the three. That experience left me with relentless competitive drive, a chip on my shoulder, and an enduring understanding that meritocracy is undervalued in our society.

your description reminds me so much of my younger sister - & i (guiltless though) still feel bad for her about it all.

@walklightly Guiltless?Lol. I hope you and your lil sis have a good relationship.

@kensmile4u, for 37 years she wouldn't allow me much of any kind of relationship, being very resentful & envious (her word, not mine). then - out of the blue - she makes contact just a week ago. very exciting times, i tell ya 🙂

@walklightly That'a awesome! Good luck reconnecting with her. 🙂

@kensmile4u, thank you, kind sir 😉

I am the middle child and I will cut you.

hmmmm I have a middle child brother who has cut me and hit me in teh face with a brick while I was asleep as a child. Maybe why I only had 2 kids, no middle child??

@Rugglesby A subconscious self-defense mechanism, no doubt.

Of course, it does but not sure if it's worse or better rather than just different. I'm the baby of the family.

it is what it is

try being born out of wedlock and then superseded by a half sister. I should have been the mentor but instead I was the ugly brother . didn't matter in the end coz I have the happy gene

I am the younger of 2 children. My sister is a year older. Unlike many cases of being the younger child, more was expected of me in terms of educational achievement and career. While easy-going in friendships and relationships, I have almost always been fiercely competitive in sports, card games and in situations in which I am challenged. In general, I chose my own path and pursued it with vigor. In my career, I mainly competed with myself, but when opposed by another person, I fought to win by all legal means, and seldom lost.

I am not sure how much of this, if any, comes from birth order.

My youngest brother is the only sibling whose personality corresponds with birth order theory. But the theory does acknowledge that other factors can influence the personality outside of birth order. In my case, gender expectations had more influence than birth order. I am the middle child but was expected to take care of my younger brother because I was female. My older brother had a lot more latitude because he was a boy and they seemed to believe he needed more time to play than I. Ditto my younger brother. I was expected to be more responsible because I was a female.

I was the baby with two sisters 6 and 7 years older no brothers, oh my what I got away with spoiled beyond belief! It impacted me by respecting women , not being a Trumpian. I have more female friends than male and prefer their company which my birth order says is normal. Not a macho man am I.

like my "little" brother, who is, as they say in germany, a softie. i love him.

I was the second of twins and my twin brother hung himself in 2014. So.yes I do. Survior guilt is a very real phenomenon and I always wondered what demons he faced in life simply by being born 15 minutes earlier.

I'm the youngest of 4 by at least 10 years. I was either the mistake or the "we're bored and want that baby feeling again" lol

My oldest brother was first and he is a little more stoic than the rest of us. My second oldest brother is emotional and was more of a rebel. My sister is the 3rd oldest and she is emotional and was somewhat of a rebel too when she was younger. Like I said, I'm the youngest. I was spoiled more than the others because it's obviously easier buying stuff for the youngest when they're 10, 11, and 12 years apart from the others. I was afforded the luxury of being on baseball teams when I was younger. Back when I was a kid it was like $200 to join a team and then spikes and a glove had to be bought. When 3 kids are so close together they either all get something or they all get nothing when your parents don't have money. I'm the only one of the 4 to go to college too.

Everything that happened because of me being the youngest AND so far apart in age makes a difference in character and personality I think. I have kind of felt like I had more responsibility on me and more expectations too though because I'm the only one to go to college.

There are obviously a lot more factors that go into who we are, but yeah I think it makes a difference.

Oh and I think being a "lonely" sibling at least 10 years apart made me pretty creative.

It’s a law of averages, but you revert to “only child” after about 5 years spacing which is seldom recalled.

I'm totally a middle child. In order and personality.

Of course. I will give the example of Mejico family structure a couple centuries ago. The first daughter will never marry. Her job is to help raise the others... help the mother in the house while father is in the field... and take care of the parents when they get old. Never to be married. There is a beautiful movie about it based on a book... is called "like water for chocolate". I also saw the family of my buddies, all professionals, males and females, lawyers, doctors, nurses, policewoman, accountants except one that cooked for everybody in the family... us outside the family assumed she was the dumb one. The only one that didn't marry also.

Yes. I was younger than my brother by 11 years. He is still my hero, and yes, it did affect my choices in life.

There have been numerous studies done on this topic. I agree that birth order has a large impact on personality. I'm the eldest. I had more responsibility, and sooner, than my sister.
If she did something wrong, I got blamed and punished for not stopping her from doing it. I had more chores, and was expected to do better in school. There was a lot that made no rational sense, but that was the way it happened. But yes, it definitely had an impact on my personality and my life choices.

I have no idea and I have no way of comparing it too anything to come to any conclusion.

I was the oldest. I hated it though. Initially I was happy to hav a sister. But as we rew up I tended to get the blame for everything. I may be exaggerating a bit. But I always felt like I I should have had an older sibling and that I would have been happier if I did. Who knows though.

Not as I've read. I think there are other factors that affect personality much more

Also the eldest, 4 in 4.5 years so no time to be spoilt, though did many of the parenting type jobs, probably why I had no hesitation taking my kids as a single dad when the ex became unbearable. I say birth order is a big factor.

Some days I think ya others no

I am thirteen months older than my brother, and 6 years older than my sister. Being first I had to struggle harder with slightly over protective parents to gain freedom that was just automatic for them. Although, I didn't have the example and guidance and older sibling could have offered. I do have an irresponsible uncle who's only 7 years older. He got me into enough trouble to make up for that.

JimG Level 8 Feb 12, 2018

Yes, I am also the eldest child. I am 7 & 8 and 11 years older than my siblings. I took care of my siblings from the age of eleven to help my mother who went to school at night and worked during the day. I learned to cook and I helped them with their homework and changed diapers. Yes it has impacted who I am today. When I was sixteen and started to drive, I took them to school and the movies, shopping etc... I did everything for them. I practically raised them.

Only child. Oldest child on both sides of my family. So I really got spoiled with attention but not material things. Have gotten a lot better at accepting I don't need to be the center of attention.

I'm exactly in the middle.
That is supposed to make me a clown and negotiator since nobody is listening to me.
I was a clown because I copied my joking older brother, and I also liked to try to make my younger sister laugh.

The benefit of being the middle child is that I was invisible. I could get away with wild adventures on my horse, building tree houses 20 feet up in mango trees, etc.
But that could have been my parents' attitude about children, especially boys (they treated me like a default boy)...just let them play. Whatever-as long as they're outside. We're busy.

I was the eldest of three kids, one brother and a step sister. When my mother passed, I went from 8 year old to the caregiver. It absolutely affected my maturation rate.

Some days I think ya others no

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.