46 6

What do you turn to in times of sadness?

So many people I know who suffer from sadness turn to religion. I guess it is the defacto thing people suggest when life gets hard. What do Atheists and agnostics turn to? What do you turn to when life gets you down?

By Holodeck30
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

46 comments

Talk to friends and watch a beloved Star Trek movie🖖🏼

Hoppy2018 Level 2 Dec 9, 2018

The world. If you immerse yourself in experience then you can find good reasons to be happy and move forward.

PeterSk Level 1 Dec 9, 2018

l read. l run. The best remedy for emotional baggage is physically stimulation and catharsis.
Not sure how it is for other people but I've never managed to get out of slump by just thinking happy thoughts.

MLinoge Level 5 Dec 9, 2018

Music, crank it uuuuuuuuuuuup !!!!!!!! ..... try it sometime, pick an energetic tune that works for you, let the decibels express themselves and enjoy the adrenaline before your neighbor call the police smile001.gif

IamNobody Level 8 Dec 9, 2018

Medication! I have been persecuted by major depression my entire life. Saddness is brain chemistry. I'm not talking about everyday run of the mill feeling sad. I'm talking about every day feeling nothing but numb hopelessness.

Owlsfriend Level 4 Dec 9, 2018

People turn to religion in order to get mental support. If non-theist can find people to support them during hard times, they can find real solutions for their problems.

daivam Level 3 Dec 9, 2018

alcohol

MsDemeanour Level 7 Dec 8, 2018

Mostly to family,and I vent to strangers in sites like this. However,the passage of time is what helps the most😐.

WayneDalton Level 7 Dec 8, 2018

Biking and reading.

gsiamne Level 7 Dec 8, 2018

I try to use music, listening to it and going to sing at karaoke shows once or twice a week. One of the shows has a couple karaoke friends I can hang with. Singing helps me release emotions in a healthy way and gives me enjoyment. Excercise is also good. Spending time with friends is always good. I have one friend that likes to see movies about once a week. Went to hear free live music last night on my birthday. Was a great way to celebrate it.

TomMcGiverin Level 5 Dec 8, 2018

Music. I turn to music.

WeaZ Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

It was religion on occasion. I came to realize that my fixation with religion was in fact, a by product of emotional difficulty and nothing more. Thankfully, I have dropped religion as a means of comfort. I have also dropped alcohol as a pain masker. One particular online forum has become important to me due to my specific life circumstances. It is called, 'Out of the Storm' and it is a place of advice and support for those experiencing symptoms of Cptsd or struggling with the legacy left behind by traumatic life experiences. Youtube videos on self compassion are useful. Fly fishing is useful. Sometimes I simply have to retreat from life for a few days or a few weeks until I turn a corner. During this time I watch documentaries on youtube, often of gritty material like serial killers and drug abuse. Somehow that gets me through. Definitely explore self compassion on youtube, it will lead you to very supportive thinking styles!!!!!!!!

Searlas Level 1 Dec 7, 2018

IMO whatever a person turns to in sadness is their religion.

skado Level 8 Dec 7, 2018

I have certain go-to films I watch. The 1995 versions of Jane Austen's Persuasion (which is kind of about getting out of a depression) and Pride and Prejudice (which is about getting out of a rut and forgiveness). Also, doing anything creative helps me, whether it's practicing a musical instrument or doing a drawing. Ultimately though, as much as I want to cocoon, I need to reach out to other people, even if it's engaging in a simple conversation.

Holo, if that's where you are now I wish you all the best and know you're not alone.

PalacinkyPDX Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

I turn inwardly, and think most do. Looking to friends and family is pretty good comfort, and gives me room to do that.

uuberdude Level 6 Dec 7, 2018

Whiskey, and our German Shepherd,
Did I mention whiskey?

bigpawbullets Level 8 Dec 7, 2018

Usually, ice cream.

PhoebeCat Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

Yes! But it must be chocolate.

Music, painting, writing. I keep my sadness with my creative headspace.

JoeVZ Level 3 Dec 7, 2018

I'm in a 12 step program so I have people I can talk things out with, as well as the program principles to help guide my choices so I don't make things worse and instead set a foundation for a better tomorrow.

I also thrive on Sunshine, so I get outside if I can and soak up rays. Hiking helps, as well as working on a project with clear visible results. Music, movies, reminding myself that feelings pass.

KissedbySun Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

Typically I turn to anything that distracts me, usually it involves friends and drinking 😂 also video games

Mattimuss Level 3 Dec 7, 2018

@Holodeck30
Great question. Mostly put my head down and keep truckin. Sometimes fantasizing about travel, engaging with people more intimately, exercise sometimes, but no significant or organized alternative to religion as yet.

authentica Level 4 Dec 7, 2018

If I am not too sad I grab my camera and go on a photographic safari. If I am really sad I embrace it and cry it out.

Holiday Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

Smarmogoyf Level 2 Dec 7, 2018

Music and walking.

CuriousCreature Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

Lots and lots of positive strokes. You are here, you made it it. You are a success. Judge your life only on the good you do in the world, never against other human beings. Be kind to you. Really really kind. Eat well, exercise if you can, listen to things that make you giggle. Music and dance help. You are perfect just exactly as you are right now.

Amisja Level 7 Dec 7, 2018
Write Comment

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

Similar Posts

Categories

Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!