Agnostic.com

31 5

Do You Believe In Getting Annual Physical Examinations?

I was wondering how many people have an annual Physical Examination with their Primary Care Physician ? An annual exam usually consist of a general body examination and blood work to screen your body functions and metabolic levels.

A CBC is ordered to check Hematology which consist of cell count, WBC's, RBC's, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, Platelet count, etc.

For Metabolic Screening, A Chem 7, Chem 12 or a BMP is order.
This can consist of screening for levels of potassium, chloride, creatinine, sodium, cholesterol etc., and can include what is referred as a Hepatic Function Panel to screen Liver functions, and a Lipid Profile which screens Heart functionality.

Please Tell Me Do you Get A Routine Annual Examination and If you feel its necessary.

IF YOU ARE TRANSGENDER, PLEASE RESPOND TO THE GENDER YOU IDENTIFY WITH

• 23 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 13 votes
twshield 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

beware of the quackters unless you're in pain and even then read lots first. when dealing with them remember they never give you the whole picture and have no idea how you will perform under duress

If I was in any risk categories or had any family history, I'd vote differently. My concern is that, based on previous experience, they find "something" that ends up being a false positive, which is not worth the stress.

@twshield I understand. The "bad experiences" (I know, poor pitiful me) had long-lasting effects. It seems that some/many docs are part of the assembly-line medical movement. Yes, I know that is largely driven by insurance companies. But I have left appointments in tears because of the false positives and the rude manner in which they were handled. If I could find a practitioner who would just talk to me, everything would be different. I think insurance companies have ruined medicine.

I get a physical every 6 months..being a cancer survivor that goes without saying..I also see my E.N.T and Radiologist every 6 months..

@twshield thanksTW..

@twshield indeed y'all are!

I try to stay out of the USA healthcare system as much as possible. I only go to a doctor when I have no other choices. They will either find something wrong with you or they will kill you trying.

@twshield I am 80 years old and I am ready to exit on any given day.

@twshield I did not say or imply that I didn't. I said that I am ready on the day I leave, whether today, next month or on my 100th b'day.

Exactly.

Given that I am permanently disabled and on Medicare and Medicaid, I'm going to take full advantage of it. I paid into the system for over 40 years, you bet I'm going to utilize it.
I have several issues which I deal with, and having survived cancer once, I'm going to stay
on top of as much as I can. That I can still access reasonably good healthcare, for the time being, is something I take seriously. I also know, that if 45 and Ryan get their way, I may not have access for very much longer. I'm going to get as much done as possible.

@twshield I agree with you, and I will never understand how most people continue to support republicans or 45.

I was covered for my cancer treatments by MassHealth..which A.C.A is based on..if the Teathuglicans destroy it and Medicare..I'll still jave MassHealth..thank goodness.

Nice tap on our shoulder to nudge for preventative health!

I think it's necessary. I get blood work a couple of times a year pretty much. If I didn't, I wouldn't have found out I had low vitamin D levels. I also had skin cancer on my right cheek, but that was pretty obviously a problem that could be seen. I just think it's important to catch potential problems early so they can be taken care of. I never had any problems until I turned 35 lol. I even had my first cavity then.

@twshield I'm pretty good now. No skin cancer. That was 4 years ago. I had my second kidney stone in March of 2017. My first one was 3 years before that. I drink about 3-5 liters of water a day and take something that's supposed to alkalize my urine. If I get another one I'm thinking it will mimic the 3 year spacing. Hopefully I don't get another one at all. It's excruciating pain. I tend to get low vitamin D if I don't take supplements. I can't really sunbath much with my pale skin lol. I do have to have all four of my wisdom teeth pulled on Tuesday though lol. More fun.

@twshield I also have a degenerative disc in my back. Living is painful lol. I hope your back pain is just some regular wear and tear.

I get one every year and sometimes two if I don't have any complaints. And especially as you get older I think it's important.

@twshield, I meant to say... "OR every two years, if I don't have any complaints."

It’d be nice if it wasn’t financially prohibited.

Hence my skipping a year here and there.

And my skipping the last 17 years. @jayneonacobb

@NothinnXpreVails damn, might want to remedy that.

Fuck it, who cares? @jayneonacobb

@NothinnXpreVails you might in a time.

Got to value your life, first. @jayneonacobb

I only go to the doctor if I'm sick.

I've been 2 times in the last 10 years. One time was a work related injury (worker's comp) and the other hives. Both have occurred in the last 6 months.

I'm not quite annual, but almost. I miss a year here and there.

I get them.

I am on Medicare which since the passage of the ACA provides a free annual physical with no copay required. I refer to it as my annual argument. The Dr. weighs in, I counter and we agree to disagree for another twelve months. BTW I have a great doc.

I have Medicare and probably could, but I do not think it matters unless you have issues going on. I do believe in paying attention to your body and all of its signals, including the brain. If there is anything, guys, pay attention and get it looked at.

I just turned 50, so yes, I want to live a healthy long and productive life. Catching something early on can make all the difference in the world.

I'm at an age where I welcome trips to the doctor, including annual physicals. I get medical exams and screenings often, and am happy to keep my blood work closely monitored. I'm lucky to have amazing insurance.

Annual exams are a good thing. Except when, as a male, you are getting that prostate exam and you realize the doctor has both hands on your shoulder! (Okay, that was a joke). But at the last exam I had with my old doctor he asked, in front of his receptionist "one finger or two" I asked if he was buying me dnner after or not". He said no and I said one. His receptionist didn't even blink.

Why wouldn't I? It is free with my medicare provider. I t is important at my(or any) age to know what is going on with my body. Unfortunately, my favorite primary care physician has retired.

I have no idea what it must be like to have a system like my friends across the pond . Luckily our National Health Service is completely free for everyone . We have the added advantage that prescriptions are free if medically necessary for life or you are over sixty . I dread to think how much the cost of my emergency care and subsequent treatments cost .

Mos def. Especially as I get older.

Actually. As I am a stroke survivor .... Twice a year .

@twshield So am I ! Thankyou . Colonoscopy and endoscopy just before Christmas too, just screening and no problems , good to know though .

If it ain't broke , I don't bother looking under the hood I guess . . . .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

I certainly think it's for the best, but I don't always do what is for the best, or I forget.

I didn’t get an exam for ten years. Then I found out I had Cervical cancer. I was very lucky, it was stage 0. I now go to the doctor a few times a year (mostly for neurological stuff).

At least 3 a year for me... to get my meds straight.

We only get one body (as far as I know), so if we don't take care of it - where will we live ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.