Agnostic.com

47 13

Is blocking someone on Facebook because of too many religious "shares" intolerant?

I have a relative who posts frequent "Jesus" items on Facebook. So many, in fact, that I decided to "unfollow" her. I don't think she can see that I blocked her, but even if she did, I don't feel apologetic because I don't spam my beliefs on social media.

StarLady53 5 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course not. I was far worse..after seeing a hate meme attacking a gender, race, or sexual orientation minority, I no longer even wanted to be Facebook friends with them, since close friends and relatives are among those minorities, including myself.

Is not talking to someone you find unpleasant or not your type intolerant or merely ones right to associate as one pleases?

No. You do you!

So what!!!!! Do your thing!!!! Be happy!!!!!!! Right?

She won't know you undollowed her. This is different from blocking. It just means her posts don't show up in your feed. She can still contact you and will see your comments. I have unfollowed many people for the same reason. Still my friends and family, and I want to still have them available. I just don't want to see that stuff on my feed or be mad about it all thetime.

MsAl Level 8 Feb 14, 2018

It's your Facebook. Block whoever you wish.

I have an uncle who I had a heated discussion with on Facebook over some homophobic bullshit he shared from an evangelical page(a Franklin Graham video). I basically told him he was full of shit, and his religion is hateful and perverse. Surprisingly he didn't take that well.
A couple weeks later he was pleasant as could be when I saw him in person.
The funny thing is that for as long as I can remember most of the family has thought that he is gay. He's married and has kids, but he always hung out with men and never had a girlfriend until he was past thirty.
At any rate, I am sure that he knows I blocked him.

JimG Level 8 Feb 14, 2018

nope just honest

She may figure it out. If your friends list is visable she can look to see if she's there. Unde the security settings I have my page set up so others can not see my friends list - I only have 20 or so, it would be easy to see who they are so I hide that.

What fun is that? I torment them until they block me. How dare they shit on my lawn.

I block all violent bigoted faiths only Quakers for peace get any slack from me

Silly question that brings up an interesting point. Blocking someone for any reason you want is not intolerant. You've got the right to view or not view whatever you like in your recreational time. Certain activities are completely within the realm of your own prerogative, such as dating, friendship, etc. Tolerant and intolerant should only apply to activities that affect others AND are outside this realm.

Let me qualify my previous statement about blocking and unfriending those who post too many religious things that clutter my feed... I will indeed punt them from my friends list, only after I have a polite discussion, pointing out to them the irrationality of their religious dogma and values. (And to harp on a central theme of mine, I do it more for the lurkers who may be fence-sitters on the whole matter.)

If their response is nothing but a trail of logical fallacies, then they're toast. But if they give me a run for my money by engaging with a modicum of intelligence, I'll put up with their behaviour with the intent to engage them some time in the near future.

Thanks, Everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. 🙂

No. I have had to do it just to reduce clutter. Folks who have to add god to everything they do don't realize that god doesn't have a Facebook account and can't read their posts. They may even go to hell anyway for using the computer which is well known to evangelicals as the devil's tool. It used to be television but then the money started rolling in.

Probably, but I do it = lots.

I've stopped following and actually unfriended numerous people for this very thing. I'm just tired of it. When someone tells me they're a christian, my initial reply is "Why?"
I don't care if that gives me some kind of 'intolerant' label. I define it as being fed up with BS.

No, it's your life and your prerogative and so what if its intolerant.

You have a right to filter what you want to read about. I have a friend that sends me all this stuff about Plexus. It bores me to tears and I'm not interested! Its not an intolerance, its a preference!

I guess maybe by definition it is, but so what? It's your Facebook feed and you can weed it out how you see fit. People's beliefs and ideas aren't protected from not being blocked on your FB page. You're not forced to listen to people. If they did it in a face to face setting it could be classified as harassment. When someone is blocked on FB they can't view your page. It's kind of easy to figure out you blocked them though just by searching for you and not being able to find your profile. Unless they think you deleted your profile altogether.

No, not at all. After all,its completely up to you who you are friends with.

Eh, I'd say that yes it's intolerant. That being said I do it too so whatever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24302
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.