Agnostic.com

23 1

My daughter is 8 years and insists that she is a Christian. She must have picked that up from school. I argue with her about it - but I tell her that it's her choice ultimately and she has the right to believe anything she wants. Any thoughts?

Donster 4 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Has she explained why she thinks she's a christian? That might be one way of exposing the falsehoods she may believe. This could be a really good time to start teaching her what critical thinking is.

What KKGator said, Absolutely.

Once again, I agree with KKGator. Ask her why she's a Christian, explain to her why you're not, respect what she has to say and ask her to respect what you say. She might still be a Christian afterwards and perhaps even in twenty years' time, but if that early exposure to critical thinking takes hold she'll be a damn good one.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 14, 2018

She probably wants to fit in with her friends. It's very important at a young age to fit in.

Yes, I would be curious about what she thinks it means to be a Christian. It might be that she identifies as Christian some values that are really universally human values. It might be that she likes the stories. It might just be that she wants to fit In. You could ask some questions about why she believes what she does and encourage her to use her critical thinking skills.

Pay attention to her. Help her be the kind of Christian who we love and cherish and help her avoid the cultists.

I do not think that I would present your rebuttal, like an argument! I would PLANT your ideas with logic and reason. Yes, leave her to choose, But, as she discusses issues with you, ask her about the things that you know, that may not work with religious teachings. Let it be a natural progression, even if you are fearful on the inside! Don't allow your fears to override your reason. Maybe people with logic and reason as a foundation, can't become religious nuts, anyway!

Wake her up at 7 am on a Sunday morning and tell her that god wants her to go to church and sit there for a few hours.

My kids, except for my oldest, all went through a phase like that in elementary school. They're 24,20 and 17 and they're all atheists now.

Glad to hear! Thanks

Have you asked her what she thinks that means? You might get some very interesting conversations going.

Wow that's a switch! Usually it's parents that impose religion on children, something I think is wrong. Interesting for you to see if she changes over time. A tricky one for a parent. As long as there is discussion going on that's ok.

I wouldn't invest too much time or energy into it right now. Engage in conversation appropriate for her eight year-old self. But, chances are, unless you live in a small town where nobody ever leaves, that she'll have new friends this time next year and she won't even remember this stuff. Maybe they will be non-believers! 🙂

Hi.Dont argue with her.Get her with logic.The first thing Christians seem to say is god created everything.Something don't come from nothing is the favourite saying from Christians.I always say where did god get nothing from to make everything.Good luck

First thing to remember is to not panic. It is a peer pressure thing and probably all children go through the stage. My wife and I sucessfully raised six children and all at one time or anogther wanted to be like their friends. We let thn eplore whatever BS and they soon tired of it. We talked about beliefs, belief systems and the popular bibliocal stories, but always pointed out that the bible tales were jus like Goldilocks, or peter Pan, fiction sometimes ased of some historical event.
Our result is four avowed atheists who have found similarly minded mates. One who married into a Mexican family and participates in the actually rather weak famiiy rituals but only for show . One who also married a sort of Baptist, neither of whom are involved in the husband's church. and as far as I can see none of their three children seem to have any religious habits. I think hat they just avoid discussing religion with heir husband. Lots of people are nowhere near believers and just want tolive their nlife with out struggle.

What they said. I think young kids equate being a Christian means being a good person.

Nice grammar. I must need another cup of coffee.

Teach her what you believe and why you believe it.

Ask her what she believes and why. Listen to what she says.

Teach her critical thinking skills (but not necessarily regarding religion) so she can learn to evaluate what she is told.

Then allow her to make her own conclusions.

Eh. Sounds like she just wants to fit in. Gentle questioning as it comes up will probably get her realizing how empty that is. Things like "what does being a Christian mean?" and "what do Christians do that sets them apart from other beliefs?" or "should we look to the bible for what to believe? What about here (insert stoning people or abortion or slavery...), should we believe this?"

It may be fine for the next 5-6 years.

When she gets into her teens, then the whole outlook changes, and she becomes more of a free-thinker.

I remember being a contrary little tacker, arguing against anything my mum or dad said, so I think you are doing the right thing being the supportive Dad, and just being there.

I wouldn't argue. it's her choice. love her for who she is and not what she chooses.

Great advice here, folks. Thanks everyone!

My daughter says she is a Christian as well, she is 14. We don't go to church or talk about any religion so I assume she got it from my mother. I don't really care what she calls herself as long as she doesn't decide to start preaching to me or her brother. I won't put her down for her beliefs or tell her she is wrong. She must decide for herself.

Be careful. When my daughter was young, I had meetings to go to on Wednesday evenings and my mother graciously offered to watch my daughter. They would go to church together, and I thought nothing of it, but my mother is a "God is coming back any day now to rapture me" fundamentalist, and my daughter has grown up to be just like her. I love them both, but I can't talk to either one 15 minutes without them praising the lord for something or another.

Nah, my mom is not like that. I grew up with her and she is the most nonjudgmental person I know. She wasn't happy when I stopped going to church but she doesn't bring it up. She is not the kind of person to start preaching out of nowhere. Also, my daughter is too lazy to go to church with my mom every week. She goes once a month because my moms church has donuts the first Sunday of every month lol. I am sorry to hear about your daughter, it must be hard having to deal with that. If my daughter would become preachy, I wouldn't be able to put up with it for long.

Give her the definitions, explain the differences, and let her make up her own mind. And remind her of these things. Encourage her to teach herself about them. Encourage her to talk about it.

As long as no adult in the school is telling her to be a Christian.

She could just mean a "generic" Christianity, as the US is mostly Christian, while Malaysia is mostly Muslim, etc.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24506
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.