Agnostic.com

11 2

The kids paradox

I know that this is a question that many people probably may not want to answer if they think their kids will see. But I have already told my daughter my answer.
I never wanted kids and when my wife got pregnant I really wanted her to end it. But once I accepted I was going to have a child I did a complete 180 and in the end I got the best kid, better than anything I could have imagined.
Lots of choices and feel free to expound.
And this included adopted kids, either through marriage or through a service.

• 4 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 4 votes
ThomasLevi 6 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've always said my first born saved my life. I was immature selfish and very reckless at 18. After 2 bad marriages and lots of pain in my life I wouldn't change a thing. My 3 adult kids are what makes my life worth living and always have. None were planned. I know I was a great mom because they are awesome people and I know they love me. So yeah. Unplanned has my vote for good parenting. I can't speak for planned.

My category is not listed, surprisingly - since there are many options to choose from.

Wanted kids someday.
Didn't plan the one I had. (Boyfriend lied about vasectomy.)
Strongly considered abortion.
Sister and Best Friend were over the moon, so I got on board and chose to finish pregnancy.
She is my heart, my joy, my love. She is 28 next week.

Didn't "want" more as a single mom.

By the time I partnered with somebody who would have been an excellent dad, I was too old in my book.

Completely regret not having 1-2 more children. Even that I didn't have another at 43 with David.
For my daughter (siblings).
For me.
For me again (future in-laws and grandkids). 🙂

Must say didn't want kids, had one, didn't want another had one, loved them but did I like them? maybe not, completely love them now as they-ve grown into wonderfully rounded human beings -would I have more absolutely not - the world is not in a nice place right now

I had my first kid at the age of 20 and my last at the age of 32. Looking back I probably should not have had any. Because of my mental illness I had a very difficult time raising them. Even though I love all dearly I have a hard time showing it even now.

I never felt my biological clock ticking, and I was 30 when I found out I was pregnant, lived in or own home, was married for 7 years, together 10, and having my son was the joy of my life! I did have many complications and was unable to have anymore, but my son turned out awesome! I'm so glad i did get pregnant.

If a person decides he / she doesn't want kids....why said person gets involved with one who does want them? Why to start a relationship with a negative marker? Unless, of course. one of the members in the relationship is planning to change the other's mind....which is indeed another negative.

I want four. For some reason, I always imagined I'd have four daughters.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 16, 2018

My sister wanted a son and ended up with 4 daughters. My father wanted a son an had 3 daughters and said NO MORE, and then I came along... Oops. He was so excited he left my mom for almost 3 days when I was born so he could tell everybody.

I didn't have my first daughter until I was 43 so started late. I was fairly sure when turning 40 that the opportunity had past me by so was surprised and ultimately delighted when I ended up with not one but two. 🙂

I'm glad you said that because I'm 43 and I've always wanted kids, but my wife (soon to be ex-wife) never did. I'd thought that the chance was gone, but maybe there's still hope.

I was a couple months shy of 43 when my daughter was born. My wife got pregnant again when I was 48 but she miscarried, and then kind of lost her mind and found god. But one was more than I wanted, fortunately she is a fantastic kid.

I have noticed one thing, people who did not want kids but did do tend to be great parents, I think because they knew what the hell they were in for and the decision to keep and unwanted/unplanned child is not a decision taken lightly and generally speaking it is those people who are ALL IN when it comes to being a parent.
Though this does not include those who were forced to keep unplanned children by religious enforcements.

I'm going to out myself here and disagree with you. I love my kids now that they're here but I don't think I'm a terribly great parent. Most days I think I'm passable at best.

@Blindbird oh sure , buck the trend why don't you. But I will go out on a limb and say your kids probably think your pretty great even though they will probably never tell you.

@ThomasLevi LOL they tell me all the time but I suspect it's more of a "placate Mom" thing.

@Blindbird I seriously doubt that. My mom was a crappy mom and I never ever told her she was a good mom. Because she wasn't. She finally, after decades, has humbly and sorrowfully stated that herself.

Try to trust your kids when they say that. That's great they do say it. 🙂

@BlueWave it is and it's very sweet. We'll see how they turn out,lol. That's sad for you and your Mom. Some people just aren't built to parent and the kids pay the price.

I never wanted kids and was very ambivalent even when I was pregnant. I had 3 pregnancies - one abortion, one son and a miscarriage. I'm not sorry I chose to give birth but would have rather never gotten pregnant. The 3rd was planned so my son would have a sibling, but I honestly was sort of relieved when the pregnancy ended.

I never wanted kids and my wife agreed but when she got pregnant she was horrified that I wanted her to end it. We got a great kid. And when my wife got pregnant again I embraced the idea because my daughter would have a sibling but admit I to was relieved when she miscarried. I wish my daughter could have a sibling but one kid is as much as I need.

Married for ten years with a "no kids" agreement, then hubby changed his mind. We had two, then he passed away from cancer, leaving me to raise kids on my own. It can be weird how things work out. Our kids are fabulous, though. Tons of fun and shaping up to contribute to society. (;

Zster Level 8 Feb 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25053
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.