Agnostic.com

16 2

I feel like if there isn't an after life (not what the religious says) then life and death would be meaningless right?

INTROVERT101 4 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nihlism 101

Just makes this life more valuable. When it’s all over for everyone and the orbits make this world inhospitable and there is nobody left to, “tell the stories” I promise you won’t be inconvenienced in the least. But for these few moments we exist.

How does that follow?

Meaning isn't derived from some imagined afterlife. It is wrested from the here and now.

Well life is what you make it and with luck has some meaning, but it's correct that death has no meaning

lerlo Level 8 Dec 24, 2018

Right. The sole purpose of life is the propagation of genetic code.

I don't know if the possibility of an afterlife is something that I would use to determine whether this current one is meaningful or not. That just kind of creates everything to be meaningless unless there is always more to come. But you also might be trying to answer the question, "what is it all for?"

You might want to define the concept of meaning first before finding it. Was does the concept of "a meaning in life" mean to you? Are you looking more for a reason to live, a purpose to be on earth or a definition of yourself? Maybe even all three, and those concepts are what can create meaning for you.

I find the concept of an afterlife to be quite ridiculous actually. Though wouldn't it be nice to be able to have another go with what you know now? Or even to live in a completely different world.....I hope the Nazis still lose. Or maybe we'll become aliens, who knows?!? It's all just theories. Try not to let it burden you too much.

Life is what you make it, it's as simple, yet as difficult, as that.

@maturin1919 Art

@maturin1919 Art matters. Creating uniqueness from nothing.

Utter and complete nonsense.

Life have no meaning asserts, as life evaluates and defines meaning i.e. meaning is a subset of life.

So by your definitions if I tell you not to drink the liquid in the blue bottle because it is poison, my words expressed as a subset of life would, by your definition, have no meaning as you would not be able to evaluate any words or events as nothing has meaning. The fact that you were able to post your comment demonstrates you are able to understand words (again a subset of life) have meaning.

Huh?

Here's a little perspective on the subject:

Somewhere between a second and a millennium from now, you will die. Your body and all of its parts will cease functioning and rejoin the Earth as regular, lifeless stuff. The Earth, too, will die, engulfed by an expanding, aging Sun. The Sun will burn off all of its fuel and end up a white dwarf, then burn out and die. The Milky Way will collide with nearby Andromeda, and form a large, elliptical galaxy, which will die by losing all of its stars to intergalactic space. The corpses of those remaining stars will die, decaying into their constituent parts. The universe will age onward until all matter is either stored in black holes or floating as free elementary particles. Those black holes will evaporate, and the universe will die. All that was will be an icy cold nothing, forever.
[gizmodo.com]

As far as objective grand design goes, yes life is meaningless. As far as subjective circumstance goes, life is incredibly rare and valuable. It has intrinsic value in that we get to sentiently experience it and guide a consciousness through it for a time. It's the only game or entertainment venue that any piece of matter gets to be aware of, and you're a collection of the rarest set of particles in the universe because you won a ticket to take the ride. Outside of itself it has no meaning but isn't the potential to experience everything in the world enough of a meaning on its own? Nothing really has extrensic, objective meaning. The name of this game is "find or make some intrinsic meaning or bust," baby.

Right. Or don't seek intrinsic meaning if you are not inclined to do so.

@CallMeDave absolutely but I presume he asked because he's looking for meaning. But I mean whether you're thinking of it as seeking meaning or just as gettin by, point is it's unlikely for life to be anywhere, and life is hard. The best any of us can do is try to get by, to ease our own suffering, and then ideally, occasionally that of others if possible. Or at the bare minimum not to add to it for others unnecessarily. If you're doin that much that's the most meaning anyone can expect. And if that doesn't feel sufficient for your goals I guess delve into learning, charity and/or the arts n get creative. What else can ya do?

Your logic seems weird if there's nothing after the life the life was pointless seems.a word salad for the sake of it

What does an afterlife have anything what-so-ever to do with life and death?

I don't follow your logic. How is meaning in life contingent on anything outside of life?

By the way, meaning isn't required.

JimG Level 8 Dec 24, 2018

We have this short time and it is up to us to make it meaningful, whatever that means. For me it's being kind, helping others, helping animals, performing well at work, helping progresssive politcians get elected, lots of other things that make life meaningful. I don't believe in any afterlife.

“There is NO purpose OF life. There IS purpose IN life.”-Dan Barker

We are all "spiritual/breathing" beings. All animals that breathe are leading their "spiritual lives"...until they draw their last breath and their spiritual lives end, and they no longer exist.

"It's far better to embrace a hard truth, than a reassuring fable". -Carl Sagan-

I find the idea of eternal life to be the most horrifying thing ever.

No dear, it would make right now even more precious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:251140
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.