Agnostic.com

13 6

New job. I'd been working alongside a lovely woman the past few days, enjoying her company. Today she asked me why I do not eat lunch , long day, why? I was honest and smiled said 'Temporary budget challenges!'. She nods, motions first to her eyes then to the sky. Says 'Soon you'll be fine.'
I felt so disappointed! Instantly deflated. By revealing her faith in such a way she squashed an opportunity, limited my openness to her. Any similar experiences or instant reactions to such?

AmiSue 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To be fair looking towards the sky could mean any god or even just a strong believer in karma. This doesn't seem nearly as annoying as if she's mentioned a god directly. On the other hand, any human that offers nothing but a good thought when someone tells them that they are hungry is a pretty worthless person so I'm sure your better off without her.

I would have offered some food as well, but some people would see that as unwanted pity. But then I am the type of person who wants to fix something rather than offer a platitude.

Bummer. well, maybe she is still worth talking too. You said you enjoyed her company. I still have some friends who are believers. they just don't talk about it much, kinda like drug store believers.

I thought you were going to say she offered to buy you lunch, which is what I would have done. She offered you what she could, even though it wasn't what you wanted or needed, it wasn't unkind.

I thought that too. you would wouldn't you.

Just wow at your co worker. Seriously. Unless I was beyond flat broke myself would have brought you something to eat. WTF is wrong with ppl.

I still "Look up" and say (in my head) "Why Universe why?". Like I'm going to get an answer.

Perhaps it was an old reflex.

Also how about going to a Food bank? It must be exhausting to work without fuel. If in the US call 211 or go to 211.org.

We are more alike than we are different. It's OK. She didn't wrestle you to the ground and start reading passages to you. Accept her for the caring person she clearly is.

@AmiSue Just because someone was raised in a religious home and has stayed with it does no take away from their strength of character, personality or ability to be a great friend.. She's accepting you, return the courtesy wholeheartedly and with gusto,

@AmiSue well, OK. for you we can say gusto with a lower case G and a use a smaller font?

Maybe god sent her to you to help you see the light. Bwahaha!!!!!!!

"Keep looking up"

@AmiSue
Ya know I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sandwich at a higher elevation than you..
And all I was saying is that context doesn't necessarily mean anything religious.
Perhaps miscommunication?

She was sending you wishes for getting what you need, by indicating that"God" would provide. It's still positive thoughts, so I'd have just thanked her.

Hopefully, she meant you 'well and good'...even if you perceived it was from her faith place and not 'herself!' If I read between the lines right? Some people really are good people, but for us who have moved out of that, 'live by faith,' stuff...we are not at all nurtured by it! And you might need a little nurturing right now! Sometimes i will eat those peanutbutter crackers at lunch time...they keep in purse and starve off hunger! Best of luck to you!

When I read this I thought the story was going to be that she offered you some lunch lol

Sorry to hear you had to have an empty stomach AND be relegated to that nonsense.

Yeah, maybe god's plan was for the coworker to notice she didn't have lunch and to offer her something. Doesn't the Bible talk about feeding the hungry? This disciple failed.

@Piece2YourPuzzle
@dkp93

This~!!!

I was maybe 10 walking with a kid in the neighborhood;shafts of light were coming down between clouds. I said something about it and he said it looked like the hands of God coming from heaven, or something. At the time though, I was still attending Catholic Mass intermittently at least. It was more a cultural thing about discussing God so openly that made me realize I wasn't going to relate well to him either. We'd moved to Lynchburg, VA from Madison, WI and we talked funnily. The Southern Evangelical forwardness was new to me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25189
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.