Agnostic.com

31 5

How do you explain to others that you have morals and ethics despite not being religious?

AnnaMD 5 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

why bother? if they need an explanation, they aren't necessarily capable of understanding one. (that's not true of all topics or all explanations, but to even posit the question "how can you have morals without religion?" you have to have a belief system that would balk at an honest answer!

g

Fear is not a good motive for ethics. "Because God says so" is not a good reason for doing anything. I never understood ethics until I ditched the God myth, and had to build new foundations for understanding right from wrong. I studied and built up my understanding of ethics based on happiness rather than fear. Now I am more happy and ethical than I ever was as a theist.

I honestly have no idea. I was raised without religion but have been told by countless people that I'm one of the kindest humans they know. Yet these same people claim that you need religion to have morals... I think this battle is one that will never be won haha and can just be left alone and shrugged off.

I don't waste my time explaining anything to anyone religious. I will give an explanation if asked why I am an A-theist.

Been asked a few times....others have given better explainations....people need only their own rational ability to reason to have ethics and morals.

I don't explain, I demonstrate.

By the time they figure out I'm a godless bastard, amusing levels of cognitive dissonance result.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253944
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.