Agnostic.com

12 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, this explains Trump.... to some degree.

I agree with most of the video, except the software engineer part. You are at a company, that PAYS you based on your performance and value to the company. Does anyone on here think it's not reasonable that someone would "sell yourself high" since it may increase their salary?

Something everyone should see. When I had interns I would always have them read this
[psmag.com]

Remi Level 7 Jan 1, 2019

Among other points, linked article nails the vital role of misinformation as an enabler of incompetence.

I could have done a better job explaining this

Raw ego clearly also plays a substantial role in over evaluating one's own capabilities but that is an inherent part of human nature. We would otherwise never form our own opinions but only seek out the opinions of "experts". In that regard we are all complete ego freaks. I assume it is common to see my own opinions based not necessarily on how smart I am but that I alone have discovered the proper way to identify some critical element of the question at hand. That (of course) allows me to easily see the answer that nobody else in the world sees because they all lack my creative insight (not because I am smarter even though I think I am). Somehow it is not egocentric to identify myself as creative but it is unacceptably egocentric to see myself as smart, right?

OCJoe Level 6 Jan 1, 2019

John Cleese summed this up quite well -

This explains trump.

Dunning-Kruger dominated much of my earlier life. I was the best at everything and I knew it. In my last few years I see my faults and failings, (yours too) and I can even recall things I have done and said that helped make me the fool I am today. It is because of this that I know my strengths and weaknesses. I was once Superman. Today I am a bumbling Clark Kent. Maybe I just finally grew up.

Anyone read the older book, who read about the Peter Principle. The two tie together. Why incompetent people rise in the first place.

Confidence is important but ignorance is bliss I guess. This is exactly why the peer-review nature of the scientific method is so appealing to me. An honest friend can be a great asset as well. Great short video on meta-learning and psychology.

Nice short description.

DJT should be forced to watch this one.

Only one problem: he is impervious to the message.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:256407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.