Agnostic.com

10 4

Hidden Gems found on a road trip.

Have you ever been on a road trip and come across something spectacular that you did not even know was there? A friend and I were on a road trip from Central Illinois to Memphis Tennessee. We decided to get off the interstates and take a scenic route through Kentucky. I am interested in the Civil War and had previously been to Gettysburg a couple of times, but that was the extent of my Civil War site experience. We saw a sign for a park built on the site of a Civil War fort in Columbus, KY, so we followed the signs. We found out that there was a Civil War fort on that site that was constructed by the Confederates. They strung a huge chain across the Mississippi River to a site near Belmont, MO. Their intent was to snag northern ships bearing troops and supplies (I am not kidding!) If we had not decided to take a more scenic route, never would've experienced it.

Here is a link to the site: [columbusky.com]

"What is the best road trip you have ever made?"

MikeEC 7 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was not on a road trip, I was hiking in the back country. I hiked up some unnamed water course on the edge of the Rockies west of Calgary. I hiked to the top of the ridge and dropped down into a hanging valley and an amazing microclimate of a temperate old growth rainforest. There were Douglas Fir trees the likes I have never seen outside coastal British Columbia. The forest floor was moss so deep it was like walking on feather pillows. There were ferns nearly as tall as I am, it was like I had left the real world and entered the realm of the fairies. I doubt that the whole valley was any bigger than 1 square mile but, it left a impression of wonder on me I will never forget, for it simply should not have existed there but there it was.

That sounds beautiful, and a memory that will never leave.

My parents live in Alabama now so my first visit to Enterprise was a few months ago and I drove around geocaching which often takes you to historical sites. On the way back I headed east through Georgia and found an oak tree that was over 300 years old.

Wow! Just imagine what that tree has lived through.

I was out hunting for agates near Edwards AFB when I stumbled on what looked like the remains of an old house built out of local rock. It was actually a pile of discarded rusty cans that drew my attention to the area.

d_day Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

Did you find any other artifacts related to the habitation?

@PappyOnWings I tend to leave sites like that alone. I'll briefly look at the obvious stuff, but I won't touch anything or actually go hunting for artifacts.

Virgin River Gorge, northern Az-Southern Ut. The walls of the gorge are turquoise in the rain.

Awesome! And experience photographs or video could never do justice to.

10 years ago I drove down a road that I had driven past hundreds of times in my life, found a beach I had never seen and on my way out bought 3.5 acres of land on the road to the beach. I was that impressed with the place driving away was negotiations via the agent, and the place was mine before I got to the next town.

I discovered a place called Grand Canyon Caverns once purely by happenstance. I was travelling from Phoenix, AZ to Las Vegas, NV and decided to take old Route 66 between Flagstaff and Seligman just to travel it. Along the way, I discovered the place and took the tour. Really cool!

[gccaverns.com]

Duke Level 8 Feb 17, 2018

It is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the link. I believe you are more likely to find a hidden gem when you are traveling off the beaten path. When I was a kid growing up in northern Illinois, we used to travel on Route 66 quite often to go visit relatives. Who knew then that we were traveling on history in the making. I–55 runs parallel to the old Route 66. Miles and miles of broken crumbled up old Route 66 pavement are still there between the interstate and the frontage roads.

A Native, if not naive Oregonian, after deciding to relocate, I drove across ‘America.’ WOW, seemed I either grinned or fought to stay in my lane the whole way across… I’d of course watched travel documentaries, and had been to Mexico, Canada & Hawaii, but thought - everyone needs to do this!

Over East, eventually settling in SW VA, I’m surrounded by history … talk about the Civil War! I’d say roaming the back streets of Alexandria Virginia impressed me the most. Out in OR, we still felt like Pioneers. Over here, with a solid 400 years of ‘English History’ ..it still blows me away… I’ve yet to see Europe, I’d likely be frozen in awe 😀 China, even worse ~

Varn Level 8 Feb 17, 2018

You'd make a great travel partner, as long as someone else does the driving.

For me, nothing beats nature for the most awesome sites to see and can be found most everywhere. Your mileage may vary.

Apparently that’s the world tallest thermometer? We saw it on way to Vegas for Misfits show.

That's cool hehehe

Memphis, eh? We toured the Gibson Guitar factory there. Worth the $10.

And the Peabody Hotel ducks?

[peabodymemphis.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25699
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.