Agnostic.com

34 16

Be honest! Have you ever let someone just fall during church when they caught the Holy Ghost?

I’m guilty of this. As twisted as this is, I actually just let a woman fall back one time because she would do the same stupid thing every sermon and she would purposely get in front of someone because she was certain someone would catch her. Well...she was certainly wrong that time.

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, but I've sure wanted to!

No, but I remember the tongue talking well. A language the Devil can't understand, they say. Well, where's he been? If he practiced maybe he could get it. And they go . . . Ho see con didli eyi, hondala seka. la la la la. And then it goes into something like Hezakiah, Obadiah, Jeremiah, etc. until it seems they mentioned every OT book in the bible. What's that all about? Me oh miah, they now have Jeremiah. Keep that up and we could make a song out of it.

How about "Hee comin on a Honda wit a bow tie"??

@PhillipSEE Good title.

I've never witnessed this strange ritual first hand. During my rare church going moments it wouldn't cross my mind that they'd caught anything, I would have assumed they fainted due to natural causes as opposed to super-natural ones.

Wow, you guys are mean. Deliberately letting someone get hurt just because you think their beliefs are stupid. I think that shows intolerance from you all.

marga Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

Someone beliefs is one thing, someone doing the same deal over and over is another and clearly wants attention, is another. I wasn’t having it.

Hahaha! No, but if I had to suffer that dog and pony show again I'd do the same.

It reminds me of a service my holy roller mother took us to when I was probably around 12 years old. They had a faith healer leading the service, and he had people who "needed prayers" to come down to the front. I had been sick and mom told me I should go. I watched as he laid hands on each person in line and spoke in tongues, after which they would fall backwards into the waiting arms of deacons who would catch them and lay them softly on the floor. For those of you not fortunate enough to have grown up in a Pentecostal church, this is called being "slain in the spirit". Anyway, when my turn came I was really looking forward to seeing how it felt. So the guy puts his hand on my forehead, says some gibberish, and......nothing. When I didn't fake faint, he says a few more syllables, and this time gives me a little shove, so I step one foot back and brace against the shove. After that he gives up and moves on to the next person. I was disappointed, but I never believed it was real after that. It had been described to me as the Holy Spirit moving in you so powerfully, that you would pass out. I never even felt the slightest tingle. When I asked my mother why she thought nothing happened, she seemed a little disappointed in me, because apparently, I didn't have enough faith.

Church? Can't say I've been in many churches. The ones I have been inside of are more conservative regarding worship. The preachers just seemed more like hypocrites with little to no life experiences outside their church. I must admit I have chuckled and laughed when someone has fallen or tripped.

i have not the fastest clue of which you speak

Letting someone fall: great way to create trust issues.

marga Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

You've never laughed when someone tripped or fallen?

Well...after all her trust should be with the Lord so...

@SteveStewart Sure, in a funny, slapstick kind of way...that's not the same as deliberately letting someone fall. I don't laugh at that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.