Agnostic.com

8 3

How often do you think a person having a gun license should be evaluated with regard to keeping such a valuable license? I would do so on each renewal of the license or every six years in my state.Questions on gun handleing, rules and regulations would be the minimun that would be asked. Also the state could issue a guide book that would answer these questions and if the person is to lazy to read and prepare for this line of questions they do not deserve a license.

Marine 8 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Annually.
Everyone who owns a car has to renew their license plates every year. Renewing one's gun license should occur as often.

Not necessary , and plate renewal is done in most cases by mail.

@Marine That was not my point. I wasn't suggesting that it could be done by mail.
My point was lesser things, like vehicle plate renewals, are done yearly. Gun license renewal is far more important and should be done at least as often, if not twice a year.

@KKGator I believe that would be excessive and I did not mean that you would have registration by mail at all.Have a nice day. We agree on more than you may think

@Marine I know we do. ?

Gun Owners should be tested for sanity at least every 3 to 6 months by a reputable Psychologist with the rule of one failing mark and your license and guns are toast.

I think you are being very generous there. Unless you belong to a gun club, nobody should have guns.

There are many cases where the person cannot be a member of a gun club and that does not qualify a gun owner to own a gun. i know of people that belong but still do not know how to handle a gun. Our club requires a refresher course every year.

@Marine Yes unfortunately it is ok for people with mental illness to own a gun in some places.

How many shootings are perpetrated by those with gun licenses compared to gang members with no license to carry a gun is prohibited from owning a gun due to a felony conviction? What would be the purpose of asking those questions? Do you think it would reduce murders?

Actually if you look at shootings in the US, mass shootings are not perpetrated by gangs, but by people who are angry or have some kind of mental illness.

@Jolanta How many people die from mass shootings in a year compared to the number killed by gangs? Have you looked at the numbers? [jpfo.org]
[washingtonpost.com]

@Morganfreeman Asperger's Sydrome people (such as I) have no sense of humor...serious posts only please.

It could reduce accidewntal shootings

@dahermit Start your own group then.

It might prevent an accidental shooting of theirselves or someone in the home. I read that 3 children a day die from gunshots. That means they were not properly stored. May be these kids could be save!

@Marine "It might prevent an accidental shooting of theirselves or someone in the home. I read that 3 children a day die from gunshots. That means they were not properly stored. May be these kids could be save!" Why should anyone take your postings seriously when you appear to either be of low intelligence and/or functionally illiterate? The word is, "themselves" and "maybe" is one word. It is clear to me that you are in over your head and likely exhibiting a manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. I am not interested in responding to anymore of your posts.

@dahermit Sorry for the errors but they did not kill anyone.

And, any instance of assualt and battery, physical abuse, sexual abuse, and any felony should result in revocation of the gun license and the suspension should be for 10 years, with no further offenses.

Agreed

Why are you proposing a logical solution regarding the gun debate? When was the last time the NRA allowed anything that makes sense such to be presented and debated?
You sir think logically and the NRA and the gun nuts do not tolerate that kind of thinking.

How does the NRA stop debate on gun control?

@dahermit they block any official research from being done on gun violence and lobby/donate generously to ensure enough paranoid nuts in congress. Doesnt stop the debate but it makes it rather irrelevant since not much can be done with the corrupt state of our bought and sold politicians. Also you might remember the lovely russian redhead who so kindly took an interest in the cause and began funneling money from russian oligarchs to some of our finest and filthiest politicians via the organization recently. I'm sure she was just supportive of our freedom.

@Wurlitzer I could post sites where much "official research is being done on gun violence"...have. As to the rest of your post about some "russian redhead", that is not pertinent to the gun control debate. By the way, "debate" and "research" are not the same thing.

@dahermit Do you perhaps remember the sit in by the democratic minority in congress that wanted to bring a bill on the house floor to debate and vote on banning people that are on the no fly list to either have a more stringent background check before they can purchase a gun, or to not be able to buy a gun while they are on the no fly list. It was right after the Orlando nightclub mass shooting. The NRA threatens to blacklist any of the representatives or senators in congress and to fund a rival to run against them for election if they bring or vote for any common sense gun laws.

@noworry28 That is unlikely because the NRA has a standing list of legislators graded as to gun control from A to F. In other words, NRA opposition to any anti-gun legislator is nothing new. The NRA ROUTINELY opposes ANY legislation they deem to be anti-gun...it has naught to do with "research" or "Blacklisting". Also note that "common sense gun laws" is but an ambiguous platitude in that the laws proposed under the guise of "common sense" would have little to no effect upon the shooting death rate.

Regulating this should be more stringent than driving a car. A person's "faculties" can change in very short amounts of time. My Dad, who passed away from alzheimers & was left alone a great deal still had possession of his. It's a miracle nothing bad came of that. Should someone who flooded their house twice have access to fire arms? I think not.
This could actually be a revenue rich policy to enact.
Certain calibers, AR15, could be annual.... making them a PITFA to own and cut down on some of the lunatics that think they need those.

22s et al, by tier.

ETA: mangled post

You do know that there is a legal system to have incompetentes declared insane do you not? You could have been appointed his guardian and keep his guns from him...there is a thing in the Constitution about due process. If you do not want to go through it, that is another matter.

@dahermit Here's the thing. Until he was diagnosed formally, who was to know?
I was in no position to help dealing with a right ton of catastrophe as a new widow. This was on my stepmother's, sister's watches. If there was the minimum of screening periodically, just like with a vehicle it could have been dealt with in a more timely manner.

It would have the twofold benefit of early warning that something's awry upstairs. JFC why don't poeple get that guns should be regulated as well as cars.

My father-in-law also suffered from alzheimers when he owned weapons. His wife contacted the police to have the guns removed from the home and was told that, because she wasn't the registered owner of the firearms, they couldn't help her. Fortunately (owing to small town connections), she was able to get a friend in the Sherriff's Department make arrangements to dispose of the weapons. Crazy!

@Qualia There is no Constitutional right to own or drive a car.

@dahermit That's a belligerently obtuse reply and you know it...since the constitution was written back before penicillin & cars.
However there is the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. There is also no constitutional right to own today's military grade weapons.

@Qualia There is no Constitutional right to "...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." That is in the Declaration of Independence...sleeping in Government class? You are also wrong about the right ot own military weapons (despite the anti-gun rhetoric of platitudes). As a matter of fact, the Federal Government is required by the Constitution to provide them...I won't tell you where in the Constitution it says that but will wait for you to state that it is not true...(I love it when anti-gun people evoke the Constitution that they have not read.)

True

@dahermit If I'm reaaallly nice to you will you send me a grenade launcher? Pretty please?
??

@Qualia You are not mature enough to have a serious debate...children always revert to childishness.

I agree with the above statement and would add a test firing the weapon also. So many qualify for the license but have no idea how to handle a weapon. They are a danger to themselves and others.

I will admit that I have not been to a firing range for over 10 years...it is not like riding a bicycle nor as dangerous...I would gladly be tested, especially as I get older...I know there are a lot of people like me, so your post makes a valid point...my state does not require my ability to shoot: just my license fee....

How many are killed each year by mishandling a weapon compared to other causes like not being a competent driver?

@dahermit Too many. In fact, one unnecessary gun death is too many.

@MrBeelzeebubbles An illogical statement. 250,000 unnecessary medical mistake deaths does not seem to be the impetus for more "common sense" laws governing medical practices.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:257334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.