Agnostic.com

6 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You don't have to be a bully, a misogynist, a homophob, or any of the things mentioned in this article to be ok with being male and comfortable with all of the traits common to the gender.

It's almost like the American Psychological Association wants to turn us all into a bunch of meterosexuals. Neither male nor female, but some combination of both. Distinguished only by the genitalia between our legs. What a horrible world that would be.

Read the guidelines.

People being payed large sums of money have to do something to justify it, and when they can't think of anything (a lot of the time ) they can always use, point out the obvious.

I am sure there are many, except a cart load of men lacking self awareness, who would agree. Nevertheless, this report is new, and a very interesting read.

@DoctoralZombie No sorry, while I do not disagree with the basic premise. I found it banal in the extreme, riddled with cliche and journalism by numbers, using no doubt, sources which were the same.

@Fernapple your disdain for the profession of psychology, and all those who research and work in the field is duly noted, then. Carry on.

@DoctoralZombie I have every respect for the science of psychology, but unfortunately in nearly every field of science there is some output which is only worthy of an ignobel prize.

@Fernapple My guess is that a guidelines report issued by the APA would not be considered trivial, but you are entitled to your opinion. I am curious, though, did you pause long enough to consider whether you may be wrong? The mere fact this organization issued guidance for treating men, boys and problems associated with masculinity does not seem important to you? Come on, it's huge.

@DoctoralZombie You are misreading me, I said that I agree with it, just that is banal. A lot of triuth is. Grass is the colour that people usually call green. It is quite true, but what is the point of saying it. Useful in government to have a clear policy on the colour of grass no doubt, but of no interest to anyone else..

@Fernapple No, I am pretty sure I fundamentally disagree. Better treatment for men to reduce the damage from masculinity will help me as a woman. It is extremely important, and to say it is of no interest to anyone else is wrong.

Old news. How can we make it better?

Disagree, your assessment lacks nuance. This report is recent, and the mere fact that it exists is important. It seems the APA has produced a series of these guidelines, focusing on women, minorities, trans people, basically everyone else but cis gendered, non-minority men. Addressing masculinity directly is way overdue. And if you want to make it better, read the report for starters, it's quite interesting.

@DoctoralZombie I did read the article. My comment had to do more with my realization rather than the article. I believe a majority of men would agree with my comment.

Nuances?

@AstralSmoke Read the actual guidelines if you get a chance, there is a link in the article. I found it to be a good read, some of it quite thought provoking.

@DoctoralZombie ok

Feminists call this “toxic masculinity.”

No doubt.

It's all about the morbid fear of being possibly being considered gay, and all the "stink" that goes with that. And sturdies have shown, the stronger the fear, the more likely that this somebody actually is a closet gay. It's the classic tragedy.

godef Level 7 Jan 8, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:261546
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.