Agnostic.com

16 7

QUESTION CDC Scientists Plea to Congress: Let Us Research Gun Violence

I have been on this bandwagon for over 30 years and am finally starting to see some real movement. Editorial after editorial say we are fed up with the cowardly politicians, NRA, gun industry and all their supporters. The issue of stopping research on gun violence shows how desperate the industry is.

”There have been 290 school shootings since 2013, 1,333 mass shootings since 2014, and 56,755 deaths by guns since 2014– yet our government does not deem gun violence to be a public health concern worth researching. We must support scientists to do the necessary work that would shed light on how to protect the public. How many firearm casualties must there be to justify use of federal investment for research into the safety of this country’s residents?
Government scientists understand the value in studying gun violence, but we won’t allow them to do their jobs. As my colleague mentioned yesterday, a policy rider that has been including in spending bills since 1996 effectively bans the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from researching gun violence. The so called the Dickey amendment has not definitively outlawed research on gun violence and safety, but Congress “coincidentally” removed funding from the CDC to the exact amount it once spent on that research. This sends the message to CDC scientists that such research is strongly discouraged, deprioritized, and ultimately, it is not conducted.”

To all the gun nuts please tell me how banning research into gun violence is against the Constitution, any amendment?? The only way we are going to be able to protect the men, women and children of this country is to ban lobbying by the NRA!

Item after item from the Union of Concerned Scientist tells of how our insane führer and his brown shirted thugs are actually sacrificing the citizens of this country. I wonder how Putin would feel about the NRA in his country. Also: A psychological perspective [psychologytoday.com]

JackPedigo 9 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many times we all hear how our country was founded and what the British tried to do. And then we hear 2nd Ammendment chatter along with anti slogans, At this point most go back to let me tell you when
The issue was we were born over 200 years ago and we need to grow , not cradle in the short past we have. We have a ton of more people, a ton of techonolgy and science These were developed for us to grow , not return to defending a musket rifle as the same intent with an AR

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 13, 2018

Are you saying that banning research dissemination is a violation of free speech? It sounds like a decent argument. Banning research on anything ethical that might make better health policies does not seem smart for the people of the U.S.A. Cutting money to programs is not illegal. I wish I knew what to do, but I do not, except for private fundraising, might be an option.

Outright banning research is a free speech violation but not banning the funding.. The CDC and NIH are government institutions and as such have an obligation to do research in all matters regarding the public health. Stopping funding, especially for one's self interest is unethical. This is just another example of the loose morals and unconscionable activities of the gun industry. People defending it are, likewise, immoral, arrogant, and in my book, cowards.

Private funding for a public institution may be part of the ban. However, other countries can and do, research and I read a big study by the Germans on how some people's mindset change when they own a gun.

It truly hurts deep in the soul when you watch the orange racoon hat sit there as president and not even give a damn about it. He is pathetic and definitely not too bright. To hear these kids voices and not get it?????? Not understand that the right wing is just hurtful

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 22, 2018

Yes, yes, yes. The numbers a staggering and ignorance is bliss. It is an ignored epidemic.

It is about time!!!

@ Jack Pedigo....Yes, I've read about what you're talking about. Google "politicians getting money from NRA." That's what make me FURIOUS. Our representatives were elected to work for what WE want, not what some corporation or private organization wants. Bribing our representatives should be ILLEGAL. Two days after the San Bernadino shooting, a bill to require gun shows to register just as gun stores must do. Congress voted it down. The same thing happened after Columbine and Sandy Hook. But after last week, our politicians (mostly Republicans) tweet, "Prayers and good wishes for the families of the victims." Well, I say "Prayer my ass!" Prayer isn't worth a damn without action! I'm sick and tired of these Judases in Washington offering pray ers while they collect the NRAs 30 pieces of silver, only in reality, its $MILLIONS each year. Paul Ryan was paid $6 MILLION. I'm writing every one of my Ga reps this week to tell them that I KNOW how much the IRS paid them, therefore these children's blood is on their hands screaming for justice. Hopefully, others will follow me. I'm urging all my GOP friends to no longer vote for people who get paid by the NRA. If they want to work for them, they have no business representing us.

And PLEASE! Don't blame our POTUS for this! This has been going on for YEARS before Trump became POTUS! As for calling him fuhrer, you must know little about Nazi Germany or Hitler. Hitler BANNED all guns from citizens. Trump HAS come out with assurances that he will put tighter restrictions on gun purchases and ownership. Good luck, when most of the GOPs in Washington are on the NRA payroll . Since some Dems work for the NRA, too.

Obama didn't reform gun control, either. When Obama vowed to get tighter restrictions and on gun purchases and registration, he didn't sign any executive orders; he only took executive action. They're not the same. Consequently, only two of his bills went through Congress and neither of them passed. Then, he left them alone. He TALKED gun control, but didn't do anything further. He COULD have signed an executive order. But he didn't.

As you say, we need to ban lobbying. It works against the Peoples rights and these corporations and private interest groups are essentially enjoying a tyranny through bribes. This must stop. It wouldn't be a threat to the end amendment, either. I agree with you 90%.

I totally agree on all points and am as if not more fired up than you. As I said I have been against this insanity for over 30 years. I donate to several gun regulation groups and have written lots of letters which include congresspeople.

Obama had to work with a lot of opposition so compromises we always the order of the day. The NRA was anti-Obama so his hands were often tied. Besides he had a full plate with other things. I just read he was rated by 200 historians as the 8th best president. Yes, he sometimes fell short.

I don't know about Potus. It was just in the report and I don't know enough about it to cast blame.Besides 30 years is long before Potus.

Okay, let me clarify something. I lived in Germany for 15 years. One did not feel fear from guns in most of Europe. It was a non issue. So that is one reason I am so passionate, I have lived in a regulated society and know how it feels. Also, I have a degree in European History. My neighbor fought with Rommel in N.Afrika, was captured and handed over to the Americans. He spent the rest of the war in a POW camp in Texas and loved it. My uncle was a tank commander in Russia for 4 years (battle of Stalingrad) he was captured and spent 5 years in a Russian gulag. Just because some policies are different the motivation is the same, domination. Trump is nowhere the master Hitler was. He needs help and uses anyone or thing he can. The NRA is powerful and he takes advantage of it. He is acting like a Fuhrer. (which BTW only means "Leader". It just has negative connotations).

I think it good you are also passionate. We need more of our kind of energy!

I myself am a life member of the NRA and also a concealed weapon permit holder. If it wasn’t for the NRA we’d wouldn’t have the right to have a gun in our house or be able to carry a concealed gun on your person for self defense. Four liberal judges on the US Supreme Court already believe it’s ok for a city to pass a law prohibiting you from having a gun in your own home. If that’s not a total ban I don’t know what is.

Obama tried vigorously to ban assault weapons and increase background checks, I do blame The orange haired racoon hat for the mess we are in, I blame him because he puts democrats down, calls republicans names and lies ALL THE TIME. I mean this guy lies a lot. He reaches up his ass for things to say and to all our surprise out comes shit.

@EMC2 but ALL of them lie...and can't keep their hands off the women, it seems, it's almost a requirement. Unfortunately, no decent person would ever run for fear of the press embarrassing their family! I know I couldn't! I was a wild one in college and was famous for streaking across campus (of course I wasn't the ONLY one) - wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)! And I loved strip poker! I was a naughty little choir girl! Anyone who runs for office gets turned inside out by the media looking for scandal!

@Trajan61 Same here.I take my gun everywhere in a very discreet purse. Most people don't realize that it was the British attempt at confiscating the Colonists' guns that started the Revolutionary War.Why penalize the law-abiding citizens for a few nuts? Why should our rights be taken?

There is a training camp50 miles from my home that will only allow Muslims to train in conditioning, endurance,and marksmanship. The local sheriff has asked to visit, but they won't allow him in. So what if CIA reports are right and another 9/11 is being planned? Would you not feel better being armed to protect your family than having only pleas of "Please don't hurt us"? I would!

And what would we, COULD we do if some President and his administration goes rogue and becomes a tyrant? This is the very reason we have the 2nd Amendment - to run their asses outa there!

I'm particularly afraid of these neo-nazis, planted in our country years ago by Hitler himself, to make our indoctrination easier when he conquered the U,S, Those people don't play around. I know because some of them are my relatives! They're dead serious about eradicating all minorities. My children are Chinese - sitting ducks. Nope, I'm a lover, not a fighter, but i'll never surrender my arms and be left with nothing to protect my little girls.

Well said! You are one of the few sensible ones on the website in spite of your religious beliefs! You might want to join us on our conservative atheist group on this website.

@Trajan61 thanks! WOULD LOVE TO!

The GOP are getting huge NRA bribes, so why should they care?

Secret Service To Save Millions By Protecting President With Thoughts And Prayers Instead [breakingburgh.com]

Some people 'cherry pick' things that supposedly support their cause. In these cases we need to look at who is doing the funding and who gains. Trying to make a community safe is not a special interest endeavor. Allowing a company to make enormous profits at the deaths of so many people is extremely special interest and totally immoral. Look at who and what gains and who and what loses.

@JackPedigo cherry picked? like your doctored stats? Go look at the actual crime reports, not the liberal version of them.

@jayneonacobb Whoa! You sound like a white evangelical Trump person.

Yes, mostly the GOP, but there are also Dems on the payroll. Otherwise, why didn't Obama's bills he true to pass on gun reform get passed? He had a majority of Dems in the senate/congress when he was in office. Maybe this is the swamp Trump was referring to; all I know is it sure STINKS!!!!

@Lewellyn3 The Dems were in the majority for three months during Obama's presidency..not enough time to pass gun regulations, LOL!

@birdingnut you know that's racist, what you just said there?

@birdingnut Thanks for clearing that up! I'd totally forgotten that! My bad!

Because if you don't talk about it, IT ISN'T HAPPENING! Like Rick Scott's gag order on the use of 'global warming' - see? Now it ain't happening! 🙂

Let's let the last organization that hasn't weighed in on this subject do so. The vast majority of data does not support gun control when you don't cherry pick. 80 times, not percent but times, more often than not in 2016 guns were used to stop crimes than be used in one. Knives, hammers and medical malpractice account for more deaths than guns do individualy each year. Those are facts that the CDC has studied. Public record gives us an accurate crime report daily. The CDC researching this is the last false bastion of hope for gun control. Let them eat cake.

@jayneonacobb sounds like you are implying that it might alter your view on guns, if the CDC, comes up with something that moves statistics, which could...convince you to think differently about guns? Is this what you are saying? You only trust the findings of an authority?

@Freedompath not at all. They only have access to the same data that everyone else does, which is all of it. Their analysis will finally stop gun control lovers from using that sad and tired argument in the future.

@jayneonacobb what if it proves otherwise? I have learned to 'never...write anything in stone!'

And to think Rick Scott will run for US Senate, My brother hates Scott but will vote for him anyway just too support Trump. NOw this is insand. The ones who blow the Trumpet are truly very simple minded people

@Freedompath I'm not sure, but I think that WASHINGTON is afraid of that - which is why they shut down the study!

Absolutely the right thing to do! The only reason that it is not happening is that Republican politicians have sold their souls, honor, and patriotism to the HRA.

NOT entirely Republicans. Research who gets paid from Dems. It wasn't published in the recent news stories, only the GOP involvement. Otherwise, why did Obama not get one bill passed on gun reform with a Den majority? Both parties are full of SKUNKS!

I support the CDC doing research on this subject. You know my stance on gun rights, that should tell you something about how important this issue is. I also know that public records already have accurate data which is updated daily regarding just about every subject relevant to our society. As long as it is a meta analysis of the data I say they should have funded this endeavour every 10 years since the CDC was founded on July 1, 1946.

I AGREE

Cheering! Everyone seems to disagree on how this is to be accomplished - so yes research!

I agree, more concurring, unbiased and well conducted studies of primary data is always the best avenue to true comprehension. We have the data, we need more analysis of it from qualified and unbiased organizations. (I'm not as unreasonable as some here may think, I value the scientific method above all else.)

I read people parroting NRA propaganda on FB stating how these problems with guns are such a 'deep' issue there's nothing we can do. It's really getting absurd - one meme boldly proclaimed :Guns are never blamed when cops kill someone". Unbelievable! Is it possible the worst gun nuts are really pod people - like in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"? It would be cool if they were, then they could be deported as illegal aliens.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

You may want to read my responses to the post and comments. It may just blow your mind.

I've wondered the same thing about ALL politicians. I know politicians personally who have sworn to be honest and work for the people if elected; then, a few months in Washington, then they come home, and I swear its like their bodies have been taken over by dishonest, greedy, do-nothing slime. They act like the same scum in Washington; they even talk like the typical politicians up there. What happens? Do they get up there and see how much $$ they can make under the table playing dirty, and go to the dark side? It sure looks that way to me!

Jerry......the problem is that there are a lot of mentally unstable gun owners who passed the background check. They have just enough sanity to seem totally sane, but in the secret crevices of their mind, there is such depravity that they really have no business owning a gun.

Before I got my gun permit, I had a physical. I asked my doctor to see if there were any underlying health concerns that would make it unwise for me to own a gun, I also insisted on taking marksmanship training with a master marksman and passed HIS gun safety and operations test.

I DO think we need stricter investigations for potential gun owners, Find out if he is in counselling and ask HIM to give his opinion about the person owning. Mandatory training in gun care, proficiency, etc. It might take longer to own a gun, but it would give them time to determine who's safe with a gun. A person applying for a gun should get the same scrutiny as a soldier being considered for a top secret training. Just a thought. Them have a NATIONAL REGISTERY.Every speeding ticket,every divorce, bankruptcy, and arrest should be added.if they get arrested, order a cool down period with a counsellor. They're suspended until the counsellor, parole officer, etc are satisfied that he can have his gun back.

What is there to research...? We got a Body Count!!!!!

If they had their way the gun people would even try to hide that.

@JackPedigo I value the data. The data does not support your opinion.

@JackPedigo They do, certainly bringing the death by car accident as an argument. Now are using the Mental Health Alibi and the guns don't kill people... crazy people kill people. Well the nra lackys and wannabes are the crazy people.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Sometime when we try to use reason when talking about guns is as if we we were in a church with a bunch of fundamentalists. Critical thinking skills are sorely lacking and it's all about "them".

@JackPedigo is about feeling safe, holding on to their "right" to own guns.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I will bet any money that right now with all the heat on for legislators to do something there are lines at gun stores. The gullible, paranoids always buy guns right after these shootings. It is actually good business for the gun manufacturers. It is the mentality of our society that is driving this problem!!

@JackPedigo Happens every time... "THEY ARE COMING AGAIN TO TAKE OUR RIGHT TO DEFEND OURSELVES AND OWN ARMS". Because the British will be coming the moment we melt all the guns. Mexico will invade us and take back California and Texas, Hawaiians will kick every light skinned into the Pacific Ocean, Canadians will cross the Great Lakes. The army won't be able to protect us!!! I can't take your bet Bro. In the meanwhile russians had made a mockery of Democracy. Payback is a Bitch, but they are too busy with their toys and their right to own their toys while reading their comix.

@JackPedigo I think they do try to hide it. I hadn't heard of most of the shootings listed for this year when the Florida thing happened.

@jeffy I learned this morning, that 3 guys were arrested in Oregon. They had been shooting at exploding targets and set off a fire that destroyed 90 Sq. miles of forest. Not all gun issues are about deaths but they all need to be divulged.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Wow did you fall off the deep end, You believe England will come for us. Look At Australia when they took guns away The people still have guns for hunting and self protection but not ONE mass killing since the guns were banned, How about we give it a shot You need faith in something, not just a bigger weapon, Do you have confidence and trust in most people? I will never carry a gun nor will I own one. I believe is trust. When we drive down the highway at 70mph , we are fully trusting the opposing traffic to keep in their lane. We do this out of common trust.

@EMC2 I just going to have to Ignore you out of Common Trust.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Well....it IS our right, IF we're mentally competent. Go read my idea on how to have tighter gun laws. I'd like your input. Its in one of my rambles here!

@EMC2 ..no, you're mistaken. Crimes with handguns went UP, as did robberies, home invasions, rapes at gunpoint. The law-abiding citizens surrendered their guns; the criminals ignored the law and committed more crime. No guns in the house is safer to rob that one gun in the house

@Lewellyn3 since you ask my input... I am All for Removing that right of yours.

@GipsyOfNewSpain well, ill just have to forget you want to take my conceal carry and concentrate on what we have in common - like music and dancing! Besides, I've always liked men who were musicians and looked good in hats! Would love to talk to you some about your music! That was my occupation before I retired!

@Lewellyn3 flatering words... kind of you... but from the arts... you shall never retire... pause, delay but never retire. I retired from work myself... not from life, not from adventure, not from the joy of living.

@GipsyOfNewSpain you're right there! I still teach voice, but I've had to keep my teaching load down due to my disability! Fatigue is a big problem!

we don't need to spend more money on research projects. We need to copy what other countries have done and put the same kind of legislation in place in this country. There are countries that have less gun violence than our country. W just need to copy what they have done. We also need to find a better method to help the mentally unstable people before they commit crimes.

dc65 Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

You're saying that you don't think looking into this from a public health view point is worth doing. That's a hard case of indoctrination.

The point of the research is to counter the self-promoting nonesense from the NRA and to make people more aware of the seriousness of the issue. If more people wake up because of facts fewer have to die.

@jayneonacobb I made several posts earlier about what I thought about gun control. Our legislators just need to implement some good
Gun control law to keep guns away from mentally ill people.

@dc65 i know, I read it. You are missing the point. We have the data, every nonbiased bit of it. The fact remains that the CDC has been blocked from creating a report on that data. I support that happening. It will stop this poor defense.

@jayneonacobb I just think the government waste too much money on everything, our politicians and government is out of control!

Like France, the UK, and Australia? Two years after Australia banned civilians owning guns, murder statistics, robberies by gunpoint, carjacking and home invasions went up, some as high as 300%, because only the criminals had guns. I'm for tighter laws on WHO can own a gun - excluding the seriously mentally ill. Nearly all these school killings were kids with serious mental disorders. Background checks must be tighter, none of this ASKING if you've been committed to a mental hospital. CHECK IT OUT! AND FREE THE CDC!!! MORE RESEARCH. We must vote out ANYONE who takes money from the NRA!

@JackPedigo The point of research is to gather pertinent data. That is the point and with this data we can make valued judgements

I'm glad the high school students are taking a stand on this. They are just at the right age to let their voices be heard and not shut up about it. Good for them !! It is time for this issue to be addressed. Who better to lead the rallying but those who have been in the line of fire.

Well, no, the "right" age to be heard is 18 per US law. I've been shot, stabbed and beaten in a single attack. According to your logic that makes me uniquely qualified to argue from authority, which is a failing premise. The CDC, just like any other organization, can only analyze the data at hand. I'd also like to see this data analyzed by the CDC, as they are the last organization to be allowed to do so. It will not put a stop to the debate though. There is more at stake than public health.

@jayneonacobb were you an unsuspecting student at your school, when you were 'mowed down' out of the blue? We have people stabbed or shot everyday, too, none of it makes sense!

@Freedompath no, I had a shotgun and a rifle in my vehicle, just like all the other juniors and seniors before me did. We never had a school shooter until they did away with the hunting rule, which allowed students with a gun to license to keep guns and ammo in your vehicle on school property. I remember columbine, I was accutely aware of the astronnimical odds of it happening here. I've never set my kitchen on fire, but I have a fire extinguisher, fire alarms and insurance.

Despite the rumblings from the nay nut crowd any age is the right age. Children have as much right to protest things that are hurting them as anyone. Often, it is the youth that make people listen.

Aren't you sick and tired of hearing, over and over, the same rhetoric from the gun people? They don't seem to understand things have not gotten better with looser gun laws they have gotten only much worse. It's not about them it's about out society and we have become sick!

@jayneonacobb Not argue from authority, rather from experience. You are unique in that you experienced a severe assault. My good friend and first cousin was raped and murdered and having felt the pain of that I have a voice also. The more assaults the more voices are gathered, We will win this insane gun habit in the country

@jayneonacobb Great that you never set your kitchen on fire, I have not done that yet either but I still have the safety gear, I do not need my own fire tanker, nor do I need a tall ladder and incredible water pressure to handle a kitchen fire. so I will never own a gun either, it is just a symbol of power and foolishness.

@JackPedigo tell me about Chicago, Detroit, DC, NYC and LA. How's that gun control doing there? Now tell me about how it was so easy for Hitler to kill six million unarmed Jews. Now let's talk about the genocide in Rowanda where machetes were used to kill more people per day than gas chambers or guns in WWII. Do you think those people would have had a better chance of not being victims of genocide if they were armed? Now tell me what you think of Trump. You've probably compared him to Hitler. If you really think Trump is Hitler 2.0 or if we live in such a dangerous, violent world... Don't you think you might want to own a gun, just in case?

@EMC2 you gun control folks don't ever listen to the opposition. Your minds are made up that guns are icky. Well, I'm glad that you choose not to own a gun. It's your right not to. I think people who aren't mature enough to make an informed decision aren't mature enough to own a gun either. You will never win this debate, it is a fools errand.

@EMC2 We have been listening to the gun nuts for generations and they continue to spout the same old crap. It is almost like a religion to them, devoid of any critical thinking and follow the leader (gun industry). The answer is "more guns = less violence". Their take is my perceived rights super-cedes your right to a life! Give me a break. Yes, absolutely anyone and everyone needs to get on board and try to bring some sanity to this issue. I have stopped replying to the inanity from this tribe a long time ago.

Pretty sad state of affairs when CDC has to plead to do research on something that is so devastating.

I am getting more angry comments because of this so that means I will have to add more information. This seems to be the time I have waited for, for a long time. Remind me to tell the story where I once confronted an MP with a rifle and dared him to shoot me!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26320
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.