Agnostic.com

17 12

Can we have a scar thread?

I dunno about anyone else, but I proudly show mine off.

Below is my brain surgery scar...one week post-op and 3 1/2 years post-op.

PeppermintDreads 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I respect your brain surgery allot! I don't have pics on here right now but i to have scars on my head from a pressure valve during my 28 day coma. As well as others and i wear mine with pride of my life changing journey! So i say "that witch does not kill me only makes me stronger" gotta be cuz this life isn't simple!! wear it with pride!!

Mountains of the Moon actors and book brag about battle scars. ...I am NOT going to photograph my amputated prepuce scar from 65 years ago nor recount searing shuddering pain strapped to a board so I could not wiggle away from the clamp and scalpel nor the burning sensation for days of urine soaked diapers loosening the scab tissue over the wound

I have minimal scars, one lady friend has had 2 aneurysms operated on, another has had appendix, spleen, liver removed(replaced) as well as tubal ligation and reversals, so she usually wins, though I went paddle boarding a month back with a stunning young girl who had a heart and double lung transplant, she gets 2nd place

I had a scar contest with a guy once--and I won. I have had three fingers on my right hand almost cut off, the fourth has a scar from a razor blade my little brother got a hold of, and I tried to get it from him. I have a scarred leg (but it is very faint and generally is only noticeable if my legs are tanned--the scar does not tan). I slipped in hot stew that fell from the stove to the floor when I was five. I have a tiny bald spot on the back of my head where I got whacked with a baseball bat by one of my brothers (it was an accident). And, I have a slight scar on the bottom of my right foot where I stepped on the bit of tin can that is left over when a soup can is opened. What put me over the top, and forced the guy to concede, was when I told him I also have a scar from two c-sections and a hysterectomy.

I'm so glad I didn't have your brothers! Bad enough taking razor blades away from clients. Never got cut doing it thankfully.

Most of my scars are on the inside, and only Vodka can hide them.

I don't have a belly button though... at least not much of one. I had to have part of it cut away when something underneath ruptured and they had to go in and clean it up. It's a little weird, but I never take my shirt off and don't touch my belly when I don't have to.

I don't have any scars of yet,thankfully, yours doesnt look horribly bad, hey least you are still with us lol

Three major scars:

bikini scar from an appendectomy at 17 (my appendix was behind my cervix instead of on the right side of my abdomen).

open heart surgery scar from my quadruple bypass. I love whipping that one out because it freaks out my sister and niece.

vein harvesting scar for bypass from right above my left knee to right above my left ankle. That one also freaks out my sister and niece.

I only have a few scars, and in comparison to yours, they are inconsequential and not so obvious. My mental scars, on the other hand--well, they're healing nicely, and i share them when I am appropriately and comfortably supported to do so.

With that said, I have a friend who was in a terrible car accident several years ago. She has scarring all over her body, some of which she has decorated with tattoos. There are metal pins, screws, and rods here and there (She avoids the airport and courts because of the metal detectors). She died on the operating table, several times and came back from it. Once all the surgeries were done, she was told she would never walk again, but now one of her main sources of income is teaching Zumba. She's my hero and a true inspiration to many because of what she has overcome. I wrote this in a message to her some time ago and I think it fits, here:

+++
Just so you know...You are self-conscious about your scars, and there is nothing I can do about that, because it is YOUR self-image, in question. All I can do is hope that my perspective and reassurance helps, as I encourage you to find a more gentle and loving way to see them.

What I CAN tell you is that they don't bother me, in the least, and here's why: Scars are reminders of things that we have overcome and healed from. They are a reminder that you are tougher and bigger than something that would have killed most people, on the spot; They are part of your character and part of where you have been, even if you cover them up with tattoos, they are still there reminding you of that, despite the colored mask you hide them with.

My perspective is that, because of all that, they are a beautiful part of you. Hide them, if you must, but in hiding them, you are giving in to the power of what caused them, when you have already WON that battle--several times over. Now, because you have, it is time to LIVE and celebrate that victory as a gift, by living well.
+++

I get pretty tattoos on them...makes ME feel much better! ( I form ugly raised scars that never go away)

I have a scar on my left leg that goes from right above my knee to right above my ankle (vein harvesting for bypass surgery). The scar goes right through a flaming skull right above my ankle which makes it look pretty wicked.

@kiramea My Dad had those too. He might be appalled that I have a tattoo? But I think that's a great way to deal with scars.

I have my vasectomy scar.

Mine are invisible because they're mostly mental.

SamL Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

Was that how you became an atheist?

I'm joking just because the only scars I have are inside.

jk, nerds don't have scars

@PeppermintDreads CM is Cerebellar what?

@PeppermintDreads Thank you! Yup I've read about these - I think I've been tested for this? I really should have known.

@PeppermintDreads The testing or the condition? I can complete my body in MRI form too many times already. lol

Damn..ain't got any like that..and they've mostly faded since not working in kitchens anymore..gotta say, that's a impressive scar..

Don't have any to show just regular cuts

No picture, but I am a year out of knee replacement surgery, and you would have to look hard to see the scar.

They used Staples?? Oww.

I never took pictures of any of my surgical scars? Most are kind of white now. Excluding my partial-mastectomy scar which I'm not showing you guys. 😉

Wow!! I'm impressed!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26382
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.