Agnostic.com

16 3

Your tattoos and the story behind it/them

I've only got one and yes I know it's full of 'stuff'. It's framed in a cartouche and contains: The hieroglyph for the Eye of Horus representing wisdom and protection, the astrological symbols for Cancer, Leo & Scorpio (Me and my daughters) and the hieroglyph for forever/eternally, the latter bit also being the piece of music my parents danced to at their wedding.

ipdg77 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a dolphin on my right shoulder and a pair of dolphins surrounding the yin and yang on my right thigh .... It was the done thing as a fisherman years ago .

This is my most important tattoo, lower left arm. I got it after my second low blood sugar episode in Walmart, where nobody looked at me or came over to ask me if I was ok. When my bloo sugar drops below 80, I lose my power of speech. I saw this tattoo on a diabetic website, copied it and brought it to Tony, my tattoo guy. Every Emergency person I show it to agrees that it is a great idea, It is really hard to miss and cannot get lost. All my other ones are decorative!

That story need to go out everywhere because my first impression will be... oh she was nurse corps in the military or some kind of a nurse or medical field fetish. Many like me are very uneducated on medical or tattoo application to a medical need. I heard of chest tattoo with "Do Not Resuscitate". [nytimes.com]

@GipsyOfNewSpain Yes, I have seen that,too, on some senior sites. I have also read n MedPage, site for providers, that most ER doctors ignore that DNR tattoo, afraid of being sued by the families.

My tattoo says clearly what the next steps have to be. Insulin dependent diabetics who cannot respond need to be given glucose or honey.

@Spinliesel Wish you luck and may your tattoo keep you saved even if never need to use it for that purpose.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Thank you.

I reckon my stories are not tattoo worthy.

only you can deternine thatt.

@Spinliesel And I have... I don't think my skin can hold my stories. Engraved in stone I prefer. Inside a pyramid of my slaves build.

I used to have a fear of needles and got a tiny on my wrist 25ish years ago in order to face that.
After surviving cancer a dozen years ago, I became a more peaceful person and got a peace sign on my upper back/lower neck.
About a year after that I got a black rose on my right foot in memory of my grandmother and first granddaughter. I also got a Korean one on my left calf that translates into "never satisfied." At least I hope it does LOL

The only one I regret is a moon face on my right thigh. I used to tend bar at a tiki bar and one of the regulars owned a parlor in a strip mall and kept telling me to come get one on him. I ran into him while shopping and for some dumb reason allowed him to talk me into getting one right there and then. Since it is the only one that I got with absolutely no thought or meaning behind it other than it was a decorating theme I was into at the time, it is a reminder to not act in haste

Only the wrist is somewhat visible when I am in uniform and even that one is hidden by a bracelet I rarely remove.

Oroborous around awen, combined it means rebirth through embracing truth.

As an artist, it's just another canvas and another aspect of art and just my choice. there is no meaning and I'm a very spontaneous person. I love skulls and have 55 on me at some place or another. I don't know why I like skulls, I just do. I also used to do some tattooing for a little while and tattooed many of my own.

This is my latest one, Yggdrasil the world tree from Norse Mythology. On my right upper arm, right before I fractured it. Did not hurt the tattoo. I have eight tattoos so far.

I have one only, over simple, 2 dolphins in a wave.
I was a surfer in the 60s and 70s, my fave beach was Wategos on the east coast of Australia. I tried all through my teens to get a work transfer there. I left that job in the late 80s and was successful in scoring a job at a company based in Byron Bay, of which Wategos is one of the beaches. The company moved before I started the job. Finally while running another company I took up an office in Byron, then another before finally having 2 specially built. The day after the official opening I went across the road and got the tattoo.

I have 7 and one of them was done twice. The main one with real meaning is a feather with birds coming off the end and the words "A chance meeting with a stranger may soon change your life" and it has a name. No matter what else happens he will always be the stranger that changed my life. It's entirely possible I will never see him again.

Tatt #1: on my upper right shoulder/arm. It started as an attempt at a Zuni Indian bear fetish tattoo when I was 19. I couldn't find a good pictorial example of what I wanted, so I had my artistic boyfriend draw it and that's what we took to the tattoo place to get done. It started as just an outline, which was what I wanted at the time - just a simple, graphic tattoo, not very big. Heh. Little did I know. For the next few years, people automatically assumed my tattoo was a pig and wondered why I had a pig on my arm. eyeroll I eventually decided to get the tattoo filled in with black ink, made a little larger and more bear-like, and add some stars and planets around it. I'd occasionally have someone ask me if it was a rhino, but thankfully, most started seeing the bear. After another several years passed, I came to the conclusion that the tattoo looked too 'masculine' on my arm and I wanted to 'pretty it up' a little. That's when I got the wreath of blue morning glories done around it, a 3 hour ordeal that hurt like hell, but produced a result I was happier with. Why the bear? I like bears because I feel a sense of kinship with them. Bears are tough animals who protect their own and work hard to survive. While I don't follow any religion or spirituality, I have an interest in ancient history. In Celtic legend, the goddess of wildlife and harvest is known as Artio and sometimes depicted as a bear. Artio is seen as a powerful figure of strength, bounty and transformation, and sometimes compared to Greek hunter goddess Artemis, although I sense some elements of Demeter, too. Artio is one of the most ancient religious symbols/figures and figures in Celtic and Irish culture. My ethnic makeup is mostly English and Irish, so I have a connection there. Why morning glories? Morning Glory is one of my favorite cover songs by a favorite '80s dark dreampop band, This Mortal Coil, originally written by obscure California folk artist Tim Buckley. ...Anyway, after all that exposition, here's a pic.

Tatt #2: the Buffalo Gal, on my inner left ankle. This tattoo has the same origins as the bear fetish tattoo above. I started it when I was 19 as just a simple graphic of the Buffalo Gal, a dancing stick figure I took from the inner book jacket design from one of my favorite short story collections, Ursula K. LeGuin's Buffalo Gals and Other Animal Presences. The centerpiece of the collection is LeGuin's short novella, Buffalo Gals, which is about a young girl in an airplane crash who falls into a Native American dreamtime, of sorts, where she meets Coyote, Horse, Blue Jay, Horned Toad Child, Chickadee and others, where animals appear as people, they save her life, care for her, feed her, and eventually help her get back to her own people. While the novella has spiritual elements, it's also a type of magical realism, which LeGuin was expert at creating. It's a psychological journey story, like Alice In Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz, where the main character learns about herself by going into a dream state (dreamtime), meeting characters who are perhaps figures of her imagination intermixed with real world memories, all to help the main character grow and develop before returning to 'real life,' 'normalcy,' or whatever you want to call it. I've always loved that kind of story and Buffalo Gals is one of my favorites. So in homage, I got a tatt of the Buffalo Gal figure on my ankle. But it looked kind of sad there on it's own for so many years, so I eventually had some flowers and designs done around it, much like my bear fetish tattoo, just to 'pretty it up' a little. Here 'tis.

This is my memorial tat for my dad. He was 1st generation American, WWII veteran (Army 12 years). There are 3 crows, symbol of The Morrigue, triple goddess of war/battle on a battlefield.

I only have two, so far. No plan to get a lot more, but I might get one or two. We'll see. This is a pic of a pic of both of them, located on my upper-arms/shoulders. one is a Hawaiian-themed tat of the Hawaiian Tiki "God" Lono, who is supposed to represent Love and Fertility (as in crops). I'm down with that. The tat itself is a custom piece and the artist did a great job of collaborating with me to evolve my original concept into what you see. The other one is my guy Groot. I dig Groot because he values family above all else and, like Patrick Swayze said in Road House, "be nice until it's time to not be nice." Or words to that effect. Groot is kind of like that too. Anyway, that's my tats. =]

Nothing to declare other than Afraid of Needles.

A lot of people find it strange that I spent 11 years in the army and have no tats. I guess there was just nothing I considered to be worth the time and money. I have my memories, and if I ever get close enough to anyone, I may consider sharing them. Until then I will keep them inside.

JimG Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

Eyeliner....to save time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.