Agnostic.com

37 6

I notice that this site is mostly made up of people from the U.S. I was wondering what you or your fellow Americans think of when you think Britain/England and its people. Feel free to be as serious/tongue in cheek/stereotypical as you like.

I have a friend that moved from here (West Yorkshire, England) to Danville, VA. They love his accent but we seem to have a reputation for being heathens and pinkos: )

BawdyTales 5 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good for you! I think Americans are intimidated by the British because most of them seem to "know stuff." They even travel to other countries!

I think tea was a good idea, couldn't understand why you wouldn't put gravy on your biscuits, finally found out. Cookies, cookies dammit LOL

I’ll melt for a British or other accent. Just sayin.
I perceive the UK as less racist and more diverse. I’m not sure what to think about the royalty; a lot of respect for the queen to stay in London during the blitz, I don’t get the point of it. Fascinated by the very old buildings, the US has nothing to compare. Brexit, what the heck happened there? Stonehenge and crop circles ...

CS60 Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

I spent a week there, mostly in Scotland. I found the Scots were awesome, but some of the Brits could be a bit rude. Not sure if it was because I was obviously Murican or not. But most of the time they were quite nice..

I’m a huge fan of British comedy, and the mockery of themselves, sometimes. Generally, my impression is that we’re (Americans) more alike than different.

Family roots are in Scotland where my daughter and I visited 2 years ago. I was enamored of the place. We stayed primarily in Edinburgh and traveled out from there. On a trip to go to the Isle of Skye, a fellow started talking with us on the train and told us a great deal about the origins and history of the Robertson clan. We never experienced any adversity (believe it or not, even the weather was perfect the whole time) throughout the entire trip, and no one was unfriendly to us whatsoever. I have no negative thoughts toward the Brits, Scots, or anyone over there. They're just like all of us here, doing the best they can with what they have. But, man, those Scottish accents are a wee bit tough to fathom.

@sarahjustme yes, they did. We visited a distillery while there, it was fascinating, and tasted really good. BTW, they spell it whisky, without the e.

My cousin's dad is a Scot. Great guy. Liberal, laid back, intellectual. My kind of people. Sample size: 1.

I think I'd be much more comfortable around the average Brit than the average American. Less Puritanicalism. Less religious zealotry. More manners. (Save me, please! Take me away from this awful place!!)

I live a couple of miles from Danville VA. go there to shop. It's the last Capitol of the Confederacy. Lots of confederate flags around, comes with a local chapter of the KKK.
Heathens no but the jury is still out on being pinkos. Tell the Prince when you see him we Yanks love that he invited Obama and not Trump to his wedding. That's hilarious.
We know everything about England because we saw Upstairs Downstairs and Monty Python. Is there more?

I have no reason to give them any thought what-so-ever.

Besides speaking with thicker accent they are as good and as bad as the rest of the world.

I met some serious twats when I lived in Amsterdam. I also made from friends with some lovely folks who moved to Birmingham. I find the twat image is fairly common as I ran into a few more while I was in Sofia, Bulgaria and a few more in Bucharest, Romania. So why do you think that is? That they're twats I mean.

SamL Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

I thought "twat" was slang for vagina

British slang for asshole.

@Silvertongue Surely "arsehole" is British slang for "asshole"?

twat
twat,tw?t/Submit
nounvulgar slang

1. a woman's genitals.
  2. a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious.
    verb BRITISHinformal

[en.wikipedia.org]
The word twat is widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English, referring to a person considered obnoxious or stupid. It is also used informally as a verb in British English to mean "to hit or punch a person".

Have two friends in the UK and love them. Just as sarcastic and free thinking as I am.

Also love the accent. (Oh please who didn't love Patrick Stewart's voice?).

@Silvertongue I've pretty much liked all of them? <British>. Also accents in general - except US accents. lol Fickle I know.

@Silvertongue People who grew up on a diet of American films know there are in fact only two British accents: the "Cheeky Chappy" cockney Dick van Dyke type (usually salt-of-the-earth, honest-to-goodness, gor-bleedin'-blimey-guvnor types) and the "Cut-Glass Posh" (usually evil geniuses).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.