Agnostic.com

26 6

How do you feel about buddbism ?

Personally I concider myself one . Its athiestic . Ot doesnt pressure u to believe in gods devils afterlifes or even reancardnation . Leaves that up to the practitioner . Its extremely tollerent of other religions as well. Its science friendly and allows u to learn from other philosophies as well. What it does is teach good morals health forgivness help on difficult sitiations ect. Lotta people have stated that many of its teachings are tought by proffessional therapist as well. Buddhism is FREE however. U don't even have to agree with everything it teaches to be a buddhist. Great philosophy imo. Your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Siddhartha Gautama--I hope I'm spelling that correctly--was himself an atheist. The religions which he spawned were developed by others, not him.

tioteo Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

Exactly.

I thought I heard that Buddha actually believed in spirits and gods interesting nonetheless I'll have to look into it

Yes, I believe he specifically rejected supernaturalism. But the followers...well that's another story.

ALL religions I know of were “developed” by those other than those whose teachings it were based or “founded” on.

Should we start a Buddhist group here? Not me--im not a leader, I'm a dirty lurker...

Totally Buddhist here, totally committed to developing my bodhicitta--in my sloppy, lazy, disorganized way. No supernatural woo, just sound psychological science (where I get my fix).

I rather like a fair bit of of the original teachings of Siddartha. But I see the religions as a bastardization of those teachings. I find this is true in other religions; the founder has a basically good idea or intentions, but the later followers ruin it.

Yes Reignmond. That's my 'take' on Buddhism as well. But the only exposure I've had to it is through Alan Watts's lighthearted teachings of Zen Buddhism and related subjects.

That's actually a good point I never thought about looking into that but I reckon you make quite a bit of sense I don't think Buddha had the intentions of it being practice the way a lot of Buddhist are practicing at nowadays adding a lot of the whole woohoo in the temples and traditions and chance and this and that I really don't think that was it at his intentions so I consider myself actually a pure Buddhist who practices it the way Buddha actually intended it to be but yeah you're right a lot of the followers or practitioners seem to ruin it a bit

@DavidDeLa89 , The institutionalization of Buddhism is in opposition to the teachings. Siddartha wanted simpleness, humbleness. I prefer Confucianism because it has not suffered the effects of institutionalization as much, and there is less "magical thinking" involved.

I certainly am more Buddhist than anything else. It allows for forward development. At one time I was a student and then I just progressed completely out of all religious thought. But Buddhism fits me.

Yeah I agree Buddhism fits me pretty well I learned a lot from it and got a lot of helpful advice that I can apply in my everyday life I don't agree with every aspect of it such as The Reincarnation and Karma but what's good about Buddhism is it doesn't have a set of principles Buddha even said don't take everything he says as truth tested so Buddhism is about also finding your own way so what I'm trying to say is it's not necessarily requirement to believe in every single thing and you can still consider yourself Buddhist as well as even learned from other philosophies it's a great religion in my opinion

@DavidDeLa89 , I am a strong believer in what I call "Real World Karma". This is where your actions influence probable outcomes. Example: When you know that a person is untrustworthy, you don't trust them! You, and others, will instinctively treat them in a negative way. The same is true for Positive Behavior. These behaviors strongly, subtly, cumulatively affect your life. Also, the behaviors of those, and what you allow into your life affect your life both subtly and strongly. That said, sometimes it is helpful to offer kindness to those who don't seem to deserve it. Your act may help to change their way, and be positive in your life as well.

@Reignmond I agree...that is why I sometimes put myself in tough situations, because if everyone with the 'knowhow' shares it only with the easy people...progress will surely be slower.

While I agree with some of the philosophical aspects of Buddhism noted here, there are aspects of Buddhism that I do not like. Won't go into detail here, but things like karma and reincarnation are not nice concepts, having lived in a Buddhist country myself at length. But I wanted to say here that in reading about the Buddha himself -- and let's be clear there is the Buddha and there is Buddhism, like there is Jesus (at least the myth of) and there is Christianity. Important to focus on these separately.

I am not a Buddhist scholar, but it is said that the Buddha said, and emphasized before his death, these things:

1 - Don't build temples and churches. The teachings should be in the mind.
2 - Don't wear symbols, religious ornaments and alike. It's not about worship of objects;
3 - Don't believe in faith. Faith is like a long line of blind men running down the hill holding hands, he said. They have comfort but no greater vision;
4 - Don't worship me. I'm a model that should inspire you, but I am not to be worshipped.

Well, what did they do? What do Buddhists do?
They built temples - prolifically;
They wear symbols - prolifically
They refer to faith in their worship - prolifically
They worship Buddha - prolifically (even if technicality they don't, in practice they do.)

What do we always know about religions?

Religions are NOT founded by founders; Religions ARE founded by followers; They build the theology, the morals, the rules, and the religious 'theatre' and the rest, and any link to the founder becomes debatable.

True of Christianity. True of Buddhism; True of all religions;

Wow well. I respect your opinion very much and u are more then welcome to say what displeases u about buddhism . It doesnt offend me at all i asked anyways lol. With that said u seem highly qualified to answer this. I am actually very curious to know what u dislike so i can rethink my views on it if nessisary . I do agree karma and reancarnation are not true however buddha said not to take everything he said as true so its ok to not agree 100 percent which is fine

I believe in cause and affect but not karma. I like the idea of reincarnation, if only it was true....

I have not met one person who says something like, “this is true of all religions”. that really knows anything about “all religions”!

@Ungod Tell you what. If I come across a religion that was not built theologically and organisationally by the followers, either of a founder figure or equivalent, I'll be sure to let you know personally here.

Your deliberations of Buddhist teachings are simply OFF!

The Buddha lived some 80 years and taught many things.

I suggest you do more research than simply stating opinions as facts!

You will also have to cite your qualifications for knowing what “all religions” teach, if you want me to take what you are saying about “all religions “ seriously.

You don’t seem to be aware of “cargo cults” for just one thing...

@Ungod indeed and then his followers built the various streams of Buddhism over the centuries. I am quite aware of the history. What point are you trying to win here? Pointless indignation friend.

My point is, you just don’t seem to know what you’re talking about...

@Ungod cargo cults...no, never heard of it... (Jeez)

@Ungod and this from someone who says "Buddha lived some 80 years and taught many things." Wow, ya think? Did he really? Many things? Shows ya what know right. I thought he just turned up for a weekend. Yes, I'm making fun of you because you deserve it. So I'll say it again, religions, especially large ones, if there was a central figure at the beginning, no matter how long that person lived or what they taught, evolved at the hands of followers and overtime have little connection with that central figure. If you want to nit pick about cargo cults or loopy cult religions you're wasting my time.

I can see that if I am TALKING to you I am wasting my time...

It's more philosophy than religion in it's original state, and one I approve of.

Yeah I don't agree that it's a religion I think the Buddhist who believe in reincarnation and spirits and all that I guess they would considered a religion however I am an atheist who studies and follows and worships the Buddhist philosophy so it's really just a philosophy I don't considered a religion at all

@DavidDeLa89 That's fine as far as it goes. We can always draw upon good ideas from various sources. Some things in Buddhism have influenced me as well, but I am 100% atheist and would never say I'm a Buddhist.

@David1955 , As Dan Inosanto said, a personal favorite philosophy of mine, "Take what is good, and discard the rest." Of course he was talking about martial arts, but it works well for everything.

@Reignmond ah, Bruce Lee's friend and fellow martial artist.

I enjoy the philosophy, but honestly found Hindu philosophy piqued my interest a little more.

Can't get behind reincarnation or any of the more religious aspects.

Ya i agree. Its not required tho to be a buddhist

Yeah, Buddhism is kinda weird like that. Philosophical Buddhism vs. Religious Buddhism.

I don't refer to myself as a Buddhist, just as an Atheist who's studied a bit of their philosophy.

What is ' buddbism' ?

cava Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

I think it sounds like a very progressive religion.

There are radical Buddhists. Suggest "Everything in moderation." Another guiding philosophy of mine.

As long as they are not killing or hurting people, I don't care. 2nd amendment, go your own way.

I like mindfulness and being ok with internal and external silence. I find Buddhist concepts are helpful with that. Plus the Dalai Lama has the best damn smile and laugh.

You are so right about his smile. Hearing his laughter and seeing his smile makes me do the same. It is contagious!

The Dalai Lama said there would be no point at which his spirituality and his respect for science would come at such odds with each other. "Buddhism is not so much a religion, but a 'science of the mind' or an 'inner science' ... there is much benefit to learning from [scientists'] findings," he explained. - from a discussion with Carl Sagan in about 1991

As I began to question my Christian faith, I came across the audiobook, The Universe in a Single Atom, by the Dalai Lama, read by Richard Gere. It was an eyeopener, and accelerated my departure from faith. Among many laudable principles, the Buddha taught of the Noble Eightfold Path, within each may be found more specific guidance:
1 Right Understanding
2 Right Thought
3 Right Speech
4 Right Action
5 Right Livelihood
6 Right Effort
7 Right Mindfulness
8 Right Concentration
Pity that more of us don't contemplate these virtues!

I confess that some of this is good, and the sort of thing I think is missing from Abrahamic religions. Right Livelihood, for example. I have read that a lot of this sort of thing came from earlier religions and philosophies and then incorporated into Buddhism, like Christianity absorbed a lot of previous religious ideas. I won't press my scholarly authority on that, but I suspect it's likely. All religions have good ideas, of course. It's the application of the religion that must be judged. @DavidDeLa89

I've been leaning toward the Buddha for many years because of the Noble Eightfold Path you cite here. To that end, the preceding teaching of the 4 Noble Truths is instructive. I found a very nice article this morning to share. [elephantjournal.com]

I do not have the wisdom to make that decision.

I think most Americans, liberals at least, adhere to many of the Buddhist concepts and many practice yoga and meditation.

Yep, I think there has been a leaking of eastern philosophy and ideas generally into western thinking, even business. I worked with a student recently on an article about US business bigwigs applying 'mindfulness' into their company staff. Fancy that!

To me Buddhism is a fine belief system. You are correct, the Faith is free style of the heart and mind. Be yourself in humble way. Adore nature. Help other without expecting pay of no kind but your blessings. God is nature. That's the bottom line. Buddhism is great!

I love Budd. I smoke it all the time. One of the good isms.

I like some parts of Buddhism.

As I've stated elsewhere on this site, I do consider myself to be a Buddhist. I take 5 precepts and the 8 fold path as my starting point (sorry, I'm assuming if you're reading this thread then you know what they are) too long a story for here but i started out following the Theravada tradition but over about 20 years or so have come more to the Insight tradition with a HUGE dollop of secularism thrown in 🙂
I think Buddhism has adapted and adopted elements from which ever culture it's landed in and here, in the west it's taken on a more scientific and secular form. Though you can still find plenty of folk chanting what may well be shopping lists for all they know in a variety of exotic languages 😉 (we too have our fakers and snake charmers) 🙂
My main forms of meditation involve developing loving kindness and insight. I've never found anyone from any other religion object to that. The precepts are essentially to refrain from killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, false and harsh speech, and I ntoxicants. It's pretty hard to argue with that (though it's always the ntoxicants people want to keep 🙂 )
However there are plenty of forms of Buddhism and some have some, to me, seriously wacky stuff.
I like to think of myself as a Buddhist Fundamentalist, kind of a 'born again' Buddhist 🙂 I hope y'all can see the enormous tongue in cheek 🙂

I find the philosophy to be much to my liking however I think a lot of the chanting and spiritual things not to my liking at all I am an atheist I don't believe in any Spirits whatsoever but again that's not a requirement to be a Buddhist I just followed the teachings I get involved in the Buddhist community it's just a philosophy and way of life

Not a religion per sey, The Shaolin Monastery (Chinese: 少林寺; pinyin: Shàolín sì😉, also known as the Shaolin Temple, is a Chan ("Zen" ) Buddhist temple in Dengfeng County, Henan Province, China. Dating back 1,500 years when founded by Fang Lu-Hao, Shaolin Temple is the main temple of the Shaolin school of Buddhism to this day.peace be with you,

I don't consIder It to be a relIgIon because It does not belIeve In an all powerful 'god'. It Is more a phIlosophy about lIvIng a balanced exIstance. Have a bIt of a problem wIth the reIncarnatIon bIt though.

Buddhism has some 3,400+ sects I was taught (though I THOUGHT they taught me 34,000 sects!)...
In any event, this is a number not at all meant to be exact, just an expression that there are virtually LIMITLESS sects of Buddhism.

By “sects” here, I mean established religions, not someone who just interpreted things for themselves, like THE WESTBORO CHURCH etal.

I’ll admit that it can get impossibly hairy, defining a “sect”.

But comparatively, “sects” in Jewww/Xianity/Is-sham are comparatively FEW in number - orthodox, reformed, catholism, Methodist, Sunni, etc.

But these sects, in Buddhism, center around WHO the (correct, current and relevant) Buddha is and the correct interpretation of the written (as remembered) teachings of Sakyamuni, and what the “correct” teachings, practices and goals are.

Whatever, these “sects” represent established belief systems that have endure the ages, not some nut/“holy man” who decides to open his own “church” - though I bet that does happen as well!

My basic point is that there are virtually LIMITLESS “sects” of Buddhism that HAVE been around for ages and have a valid reason (based on a real interpretation of the actual teachings of Sakyamuni) for calling themselves Buddhist.

The Buddha taught until the age of 80, and was written down some many years after his death, so there are MANY teachings and interpretations that can justifiably be ascribed to him.
So people are VERY mistaken in saying their Buddhism is of the “original” teachings of Sakyamuni!

He really had no “original teachings”, other than the earliest things he said. The later and LAST things he taught were very much evolved from these “original teachings” people crow about being “right” because they were his “original teachings”, and their followers maintain that these later/last teachings represented his true intentions and more “valid” revelations!

Ungod Level 6 Feb 25, 2018

Complete detachment. I find its goal of immunity to suffering inhuman and inhumane. Anything we may do is ultimately dismissed as illusory and gets in the way of our dissolving into nothingness. Only a laudable goal if you are into that. I prefer existence. You do you boo.

I absolutely agree! Despite the fact I am atheist is the only religion?? philosophy of life that I am friendly with!

Until the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar, I had been neutral, if not positive in my views of Buddhism. To learn that Buddhist monks are central in taking a hardline, nationalist position against their Muslim minority, forces me to rethink my forbearance of this particular brand of religion. And please, let's not fall back on the 'no true Scotsman' defense.

Well honestly, these are tribal wars in which Buddhists are enjoined to fight the opposing land grabbers. What they “teach” is just not found in the teachings of Sakyamuni...

@Ungod "Land grabbers?" I suppose one person's migrant is another's land grabber, but the Rohingya began to arrive in what we now call Myanmar more than 500 years ago. That they are subject to persecution in the extreme by the Rakhine majority is beyond dispute; however, the hardline Buddhist monks are not being recruited--they're taking a leading role in the ethnic cleansing.

My point is. You can’t find any teachings of Sakyamuni that would justify the wars and attitudes and VIOLENCE these Buddhist leaders sponsored.

Is-sham is a good example of violence, wars and other bloodshed, specifically written into the Koran.
The related scriptures are well known.

Xianity is guilty of the same teachings in their canonized buy-bull.
Xianity, an older religion, has simply grown beyond its teachings of warfare and violence...

At least in the worldwide “civilized” realm they have, though certainly there are nuts who teach a strict interpretation of the violent teachings that ARE in the buy-bull!

I also realize that JewwDeo/Xians see “god’s plan” unfolding in the Middle East wars and violence...

By comparison, you just can’t find violence proscribing statements in the teachings of Sakyamuni!

Certainly any religious leaders can make any convenient proclamations they like. But you just can’t find teachings that support such violence, in Buddhism...

That’s just not Buddhism (Sakyamunis teachings!)...

What I was saying is that these were regular and tribal wars of typical real estate acquisition and other warlike aims. Not any proclamation of Buddhism!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26512
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.