Agnostic.com

13 8

LINK How did I not hear the words?

I have just recently been discovering lyrics to songs I've listened to for years. I wasn't... listening... to the words, just the music, the beat. I usually knew the chorus and would sing along but not really thinking about it.

Have you done that? Or am I just strange (ok, ok, I know I'm "special" lol). Maybe it is something about how I hear it. Why do I hear the instruments, the beat over the words? I don't know. I'm just hoping I'm not the only one! Here is my most recent discovery. Walking on the sun by Smash mouth.

BeeHappy 9 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

LMAO!!! I'm dying here. πŸ™‚

@BeeHappy Didn’t want to give it away but I had a coworker that use to sing the Coca Cola part and one day I asked him if he knew what the song was about?
He replied with β€œ some girl named Lola that likes Coca Cola β€œ ?????
I had the cassette cover with the lyrics and gave it to him to read. For reason he quit singing it and I don’t know why? ??

@48thRonin Hahaha! ?

Type in 4 chord songs on you tube and a mass of videos about hit "catchy" songs all using the same chords will pop up. So many, so much alike. Words can really mean something. Too many songs are sold by the catch.

I actually ran across that before. Yeah, you wanna hit song use these chords... doesn't matter too much what you say. Thank you!

Yes...I agree with you. There are lots of songs that just have a catchy tune and the lyrics could be just about anything....they don’t seem to register! I am a singer, but admit to not knowing the lyrics to many well known songs...apart from the more familiar choruses. I know the words to songs by favourite artists and of course, to songs that I have learned to sing in order to perform them.

I guess it's more common than I thought. Thanks for sharing.

To this very day I have people argue with me on Janis Joplin singing "Me And Bobby McGee." Janis belts the song out and gets to her high points of the chorus saying at least twice "Bobby Motherfuckin' McGee." People hear me and listen to the song too, then go "no, she didn't say that." The problem is that nobody can tell me what she did say when they deny it. They don't know what she said but it just could not have been "MF ing McGee." There were two professional musicians in a family I married into and they agreed with me. In fact, it was Pat O'Neal who pointed this out and she sang everything Joplin ever did and much of it better than Joplin. If Pat walked into a local club and they had a band someone would have her up on stage singing "Bobby McGee" before the night was over. The crowds just went wild!

Not sure myself. Musicians often have fun live. Morrison sang fuck you Mother the one night his mom went to a concert. And I saw a certain rock star flash us with no undies. We were high, but my friends saw it too. I read later she did that.

Great story, thanks!

I never heard those lyrics - though I've heard the song. Musicians often have so much to say!

Yes they do... and some is quite poignant.

Very common at karaoke, and a huge part of the charm!

I bet! ?

It took me a few years to work out all the lyrics of this song mostly because I loved the melody and the chord progression so much I focused on that and Klaus Meine's accent made it hard to figure out some of what he was saying but once I worked it all out, I could relate completely since it's about a guy who fucked up his relationship and just wants another chance to put it right.

I'm posting the original video rather than the lyric breakdown. See if you can understand everything or was it just me?

It's an awesome song either way.

I see what you mean. I picked up words or phrases but a bit difficult to make the whole thing out.

Sounds like you were destined to be a Cocteau Twins fan.

Now this song, I had no clue what the lyrics were. I just like the beat. Now I see the words and this song is very confusing. Haha

MoniB Level 6 Jan 13, 2019

Same, except I do understand it somewhat. It's like one of those poems that you need a translation to fully comprehend. Lol

@BeeHappy haha so true. After I commented. I went online and looked up the lyrics to pick it apart.

I wouldn't say I don't listen to the words but with any song it's the melody that hooks me, if that doesn't then the words are irrelevant. Once the melody has me then the words come next πŸ™‚

I agree. The melody hooks you first.

Try listening to Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life". Sounds great and a fun beat.

Then look up the lyrics. You have to do it in this order or your mind will not be the same after.

Afterwards: [google.com]

Whoa! That's dark. I picked up some drug use when I listened to it but didn't get the whole story. Thank you.

@BeeHappy Basically, yep. It's drug use and unhealthy relationships. When I was younger, I loved the song. Still do, just more aware.

@aspiringunicorn Yep. age does give you a new perspective.

I just keep saying "watermelon". the words are secondary to me. try focusing on the lyrics to this one ...

That was hard! Lol

@BeeHappy he says he picked the words for their shape. it drove me insane at first when I heard some of those words and I was like "what?" you never hear about Cypriots in song.

@kauva Lol, right?

I have done the same thing all my life. I am a closet dancer so I always gravitated to the rhythm rather that the words. Now I have decided that I am a singer (closet of course) so lyrics have a whole new meaning and the older favorites have a renewed life and appreciation.?

Yes! My experience also. Thanks!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:265160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.