Agnostic.com

16 0

Does anyone have a problem with scammers. No matter what site there's always scammers. I've had to turn down requests on fb so many times because they fit the scammer MO, cuvil engineer working out of the country and widowed

Millie 6 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reading the responses, Very amusing. I have never had that problem on FB, never really used any of the other mediums. The place I saw almost nothing but scammers was on dating sites. Always "Americans" working or finishing a degree in Ghana, usually in the "states" for some short time. Always "faithful" "women" that "love god" and are "one man women" looking for Mr. Paycheck, er uh Mr. Right.
My filter is very easy. If they say they are fine with polyamory and say nothing else about it, They are definitely not for real, lol. I have only had one that was even at all convincing. A would be Russian girl. "She" actually had put some thought in "Her" work and documentation. Home and work photos etc. Quite the exception. I would bet "she" does far better than average.

Oh yes. The US Army Generals. The UN Peacekeeprs on secret missions to Chad (don't tell anyone they're in touch over Facebook.) The construction workers, currently on road building projects overseas.

TinEye (or another reverse image search tool) is your friend, since they almost always use stolen photos. Often, a search returns results on a site called fake-scam.info . Says it all, to me. Frequently, the profiles are only a few days old (you can see the join date on Facebook.) That rings alarm bells for me too.

I won't entertain a relationship with anyone who is currently abroad, regardless of whether they're considering moving here. That's probably easier for me, based in the UK, since a lot claim to live in the US. I'm pretty good at sniffing them out these days. There are little tell-tales that give the game away. The often mention God very early in the conversation (they think it builds trust, but it does the opposite with me.) What really tickles me is when they confuse first names and surnames, so you end up talking to "Smith Bob." (Yes, I really had a US Army soldier with that name.)

I only have FB and linkedin. FB only allows people in my friends to contact me, so I message myself a lot, and I am becoming very annoying. Had a couple of suspect contacts received via linkedin, but they turned out to be legit.

theyre funny to mess with

yep, I need my hobbies.

I think everyone does including the scammers themselves. it's learning how to spot them that's important.

where there's an opportunity there's an opportunist.

I have yet to have a problem. My FB is highly selective and most postings are from groups as FFRF, Humanists, Big History, Union of Concerned Scientists and similar. The few individuals I have are close friends and family and even when they send a link from another I delete it. It's too damn easy for people to send posts by selecting all. It's a habit of laziness. If I send a post I select who I think would want to see that post.

They are everywhere.... that is their job, you know?

I get those all the time! They are always handsome widows, have profile pics with dogs or children, patriotic themed cover photos, etc. We have no friends in common, but somehow they find me and want to be friends. Yeah, I started taking screen shots of these phonies so I can make a scammer slideshow.

There's a robo-caller that has my number and is threatening me with jailtime if I don't respond to its voicemail. I figure I'll hear from the legitimate cops if they're serious.

I have a problem with being scammed.

No. @Millie

I got rid of my ok cupid account because nearly every woman who responded turned out to be from Ghana. The few real women were nice enough

@Millie pay attention to how they phrase things. instead of saying "I am looking for a man to marry" It will come out something like "I am looking for man to marry, or looking for a man to marrying" Also keep mapquest up in the background. a lot of times they will give the dating site the name of a town that doesn't exist

I have been on the internet and on dating sites for 23 years and know from experience what can happen here. Know that scammers abound on the internet. Take whatever actions you feel is necessary to stay safe and NOT become a victim. If you use this as your guide you can never become a victim:
"I have one strict rule when I am on the internet, I will NEVER under ANY circumstances send money or gifts to ANYONE for ANY REASON on the internet .. I have NEVER done that and I will NEVER do that."
Now have some fun and enjoy yourself.

@Atheistman YOu are right, but only as much as you put out there and they are more interested in money than information. IMHO

Yes especially on Facebook. I get friend requests daily but check out their profile and it's new no friends or half way around the world and no common interests.

Scammers are now part of our social fabric. Online, on the phone, in the mail, responding to personal ads, or ads selling ANYthing .
I had rental property a few years back, and had someone respond to an ad for one of the apartments ! Very damn convincing too - at least in the beginning.

Up to each individual to learn how to not fall for them !

Every damn day

FB is full of scammers and posers, including but not limited to the election meddling Russians always busy trying to sway public opinion and sow division. I am only on it at all to keep in nominal touch with my daughter, who is big on it. I would not advise anyone to use it as a news feed.

@Millie For some reason I'm far more active on Twitter for news feeds and that gets its share of "real fake news" too (as opposed to Trump's trumped-up fake news) but I just like the format, it seems easier to swat flies. Even there, I'm barely active as a [re]tweeter. I just follow trusted accounts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26740
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.