Agnostic.com

59 10

Weird?

So I went on a date with this guy and he told me that since by the age of 35 I had never been married and never had any kids that “people” would think there is something “wrong” with me. He was from the Deep South so I took that into account. Has anyone else ever been told that or does anyone agree with this thinking?

Susalou 4 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bull shit thinking. All individuals differ. You may be "weird" but not because of that. Personally I like weird people and feel complimented to be called one. It means simply, non conformist.

Yes. While I was in the Navy, I was treated like a deviant for never having been married at 40.

Your pattern is not the typical one, and tha probably frightens conformists. I don't judge people's choices unless unless the reasons are really weird.

Out of curiosity, suppose he had been from NYC (so no southern excuse), and instead had just asked why you hadn't married yet. And suppose it was your first date / first time meeting. Would you have taken any offense to the question?

That’s not the case though. He went a way more ignorant route than your hypothetical.

@LarryY I know. That's why mine is hypothetical.

I'm not defending the guy. I'm just curious of what the OP or others think of the topic in general, and whether and when it's acceptable to ask.

@thinkr I think your hypothetical is way more respectful and acceptable. That’s my opinion.

I find that many people’s judgements have more to do with how they feel about themselves and their own choices than they have to do with the person they’re talking about.

You’re doing your life just fine.

Doh! NO!

Getting married young havng babies early. etc. etc. when people makes those kind of statements I see it as their way of showing you their controlling nature as they are devaluing you in their search for bargain basement whatever...eat well and leave the check for this type of neanderthal then go home alone.

Phin Level 6 Mar 18, 2018

Simple minded way of thinking. I'm from the Midwest, now living in DC metro area. There are certainly cultural norms that dictate many beliefs like that. As someone who is single again at the age of 36, my Midwest mom was worried about me finding someone. I had to remind her there are plenty of women out here at that age that have never been married let alone not grandparents already. 😉

There is nothing "wrong" with you... live by your own rules, not by others.

I'm thin, late 30s, single..

Times change, my mothers mother was only 36 years older than me. My kids are 31 and 33, single.
Only about a third of their peers are in relationships and / or had kids.

That's pretty rude.

CatV Level 3 Feb 21, 2018

It's no good asking me, I've been married 4 times. Yes I am weird.

I think it's weird, I have ever been told that, but I met my wife when I was twenty two...lol

Well, that's peculiar. Don't you think you should get busy fulfilling those expectations before it's too late?

Uh... That's odd in this day and age. But, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Ultimately It's only yours that should matter to you. Period.

It's an old way of saying you're a lesbian

I have heard it before. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.

...Do you WANT kids? There's no rule that says you have to have them. I think it's stupid for people to behave like you should. I wish the vast majority of humans would consider the fact that we have 8 billion already and we might be okay in giving that whole, 'breed like rats' thing a rest. Push back against that kind of bullshit pressure! Do you.

I don't agree with the "spinster" attitude as I believe it is just fine to wait and find the right person. That may take quite a while, and it may happen right away. The scary part? You can't KNOW that this is the right person until you live together and... stay the course through thick and thin.

I married at 30. I was able to live some life before tied to the institution. And now I'm once again free of the institution. ????

It's the kind of thing that shows up in women's magazines as a "Warning Sign" Here's a headline from a Huffpost article: "Red Flags: Is It A Bad Sign if Someone’s Never Been Married By Middle Age?"

he's full of bulls milk. it's not until you're 40 that people think that.

I pride myself on being weird so I’d take it as a compliment! ????

It ain't you, it's him and his outmoded mindset. This is the way I think, and I'm 60 and escaped from that mentality long ago. My dear, you are P E R F E C T. Tell that moron to go fuck himself. The only thing "wrong" with you is that you were true to yourself and didn't jump on the "got to get married" bandwagon. You know who you are and what you want. You are a complete person just the way your are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.