Agnostic.com

17 7

Do you save seeds from your veggie garden to plant next year?

Do you swap within your local community? With others outside your community?

Heirloom seed saving, seed libraries, and seed swaps have become popular in the past few years. Heirlooms are varieties prior to the introduction of GMO plants. It takes little effort to harvest and prepare seeds for storage. Most seeds maintained in a cool, dry environment will be viable for up to 5 years. The important thing is to mix your seeds with seeds from 50 - 100 different plants to maintain a healthy gene pool.

Only two No No's: don't reuse hybrid varieties and don't combine with commercial GMO varieties.

astrochuck 6 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have onions that I replant every year. My grandpa used these sets in the 30's and 40's, he was a vegetable farmer near Minneapolis. He was the first to have onions at market in the spring, they called him Tony OK for Onion King!
He was an immigrant from Austria Hungary, what is now Slovenia. I brought my cousins there some sets and they now grow them too.
Also I have some sweet meat squash from my mom's side of the family in Washington state, we've been growing them since the 70's. None better keepers or sweeter than these!

ha, good timing, I arrived at work this morning and one of the girls greeted me with 6 chillie plants she has grown, there are a heap of seed and seedling swaps going on. I have a heap of seeds next to my back door at present waiting for me to have an hour free to plant them. We try and keep things going, have a few hundred garlic bulbs and a few thousand bulbils to plant in April. and agree, be super careful to avoid commercial seeds, mostly hybrids and you will lose viability. I have a red veined chicory about to flower, last year I had 3, millions of seeds, not one produced anything, now for some reason, there is only one plant left.

I buy seeds from Baker Creek and sometimes Annie’s. I do save and replant a good bit and occasionally swap with 3 or 4 gardening friends around the southeast.
Mostly several varieties of beans, tomatoes, squash, potatoes, melons, onions, and a few flowers. I’ve not had much success with corn, but I keep trying.

skado Level 9 Feb 21, 2018

I do save my marigold seeds but I have to admit I just purchase seedlings to plant, I do find they sell heirlooms and I should keep some seeds back for my favorite varieties. Maybe I will on xertain items this year.

I have recently move to a new area, 500 kilometers from where I lived for 15 years. I haven't grown veggies for about 20 years now. I am renting a cabin, with beautiful country views, just 12 kilometers from the city. I have a dog and a small yard (not too small) to run around in, so I'm not going to dig it up. most of the yard has a 12 foot retaining wall around it, made out of 6ft x 4ft concrete blocks. I have a beautiful view of the mountains.
Anyhow I had better get to answering your question. I am at the moment looking for cheap secondhand wooden planks, or free if I can get some. I am going to make about 30 planter boxes, 6ft x 4ft, to put on the blocks around the perimeter. Only 20 kilometers from me is a heritage seed savers shop, that stocks heritage seed from all over the world. I have an extensive book that they sell, that teaches companion planting and how to save your seeds. They also give a list of seed savers that belong to a seed saving club. So my friend I will be visiting that shop, just as soon as I have built my planter boxes. 🙂

I save seeds from my supermarket veggies and plan to plant those..3 years later I still have the seeds..so..no.

@astrochuck ???? I shop at Wholefoods!!! Say it ain't soo...

Last week , I asked my assistant to load up the planters with soil . There are at least 6 bags of potting soil remaining in the garage . I went to put the lilies and bluebonnets in a small planter , and wound up stealing soil from one of the big planters . Took more for the other small planter for three flavors of mint - sweet , chocolate, and peppermint . The mints keep the mosquitos away from the porch . The back herb garden managed to survive the winter with lavender , oregon , 2 mints, spring onions , and rosemary . I added parsley . I wanted to put the grape vine in the large rectangular planter only to find the soil in that was an island , floating in a pond . ARRRGH !

I learned this summer that some companies with special-bred plants have patented the plants - it would violate the patent to plant their seeds! they probably don’t care unless you try to reproduce and sell the plants or fruit. This is true even though you wouldn’t get the same hybrid from the seeds as the plant you took them from!

I believe that is only an issue with hybrids or field corn.

@astrochuck It isnt just crosspolination thats an issue with cross winds but chemical drifting into organic crops, I am aware of the issues with saving seeds from hybrids, not only do you get a wide variety of offspring but germination rates are way down. BTW in iris, to propogate true to form we do so by planting the rhizome inreases, cross polination is done to create new varieties and of course there is a wide variety when you do this and you may get several new intros from one cross that look nothing like each other.

@astrochuck I don't know about that, I am just trying to make a living but so far im just surving and not thriving financially

I have and squashes are my favorite. Do garlic cloves count as seed?

A local land trust co-housing project has a seed bank that is available for everyone.

I plan to order several varieties of hardneck clover this year. Softneck is not hardy in zone 5 where I live. Garlic can be grown from seed but the best way is to order garlic bulbs and then pull them apart and plant the cloves in the fall approximately 3 to 4 inches deep

As far as I know garlic cloves count as seed. I have yet to successfully grow garlic, but have had some luck with asparagus.

@Leutrelle Garlic has been easy for me. I plant the cloves in the Fall and they grow during the winter. By late Spring/early summer when the scapes are present (they can be cut and stir fried) stop watering. When the greens start to brown pull up the bulbs and let them dry before storing. I bundle several together and hang them in the garage to use all the rest of the year.

I do not have a vegetable garden, but I love zinnias. Last winter I saved lots of seeds. It was the first time I saved seeds, and I think I overdid it. Practically needed a machete to get through my flowerbeds. I think I will tone it down a bit this year.

@astrochuck @plainjane Preview of coming attractions. In a couple of weeks, I am planning to start a monarch butterfly group. I've raised monarchs from eggs and small caterpillars for the last 3 years and would like to share with others, and hopefully learn from others who have experience.

@Plainjane @astrochuck. I will send you an invite when I start to group. I wish I could say it takes special skill, but it does not. It is also very inexpensive and labor-friendly. The rewards are awesome. The picture above shows a newly emerged butterfly in the foreground, a green chrysalis in the middle, and a chrysalis with a close–to-emergent butterfly on the right. It is really neat to see them come out the chrysalis.

@astrochuck that butterfly Conservatory could turn out to be a handy resource

@astrochuck sounds good. I will touch base with you and we can come up with the group name and go from there. I've got some really good beginner resources for Monarch butterfly raising, but nothing for any other kind of pollinator.

would you care to trade for some of my marigold seed next fall? I collect seeds from my beds and have given a lot away.

@misstuffy That sounds good. I have plenty and can send you some this spring also

@PappyOnWings wonderful, I will save back some marigold and send you some as well. I will PM you my address.

@PappyOnWings I would like to raise butterfly also, if my environment will allow for that. Please keep me informed🙂

@Leutrelle That is an interesting question about your environment. I assume you are referring to the 5000-foot altitude? I live on the plains of the Midwest and have never thought of that question. However, I do know that monarchs are native to the entire US and most if not all of Canada. In most cases, it is just a matter of trying to get the population established. Also, the process of raising butterflies is very similar to other types. You can always adapt the process to butterflies that are native to your area.

My yard is too shady for a garden - but I do stick pineapple tops in the mulch pile, and have had some awesome pineapples on occasion !

I've tried this just for fun. Avacado pits will also sprout in a compost pile.
[wikihow.com]

I save heirloom seeds. I am changing windows in my house this spring, and plan to build a green house with the old windows. I am looking forward to gardening again🙂 We live at 5000 feet, and a green house is necessary. I will be digging out some of my old seeds, and will plant them next year.

@astrochuck I look forward to sharing information, and learning from you. I have been an organic gardener since the mid 70's. It's in my blood, and feel lost with out a garden. We live in an area where winter is harsh, and it is a 20 + mile trek just to buy fresh produce, and of course I prefer home grown produce. I have never had a green house, and I am sure I have much to learn. I wonder if it will be all right to message you when I get to that point? It sounds like you have nice set up for indoor gardening. I am curious of what kinds of vegetables you grow indoors?

@astrochuck Sounds wonderful. You must be a quick learner🙂

I used to get a lot of "volunteer" plants from my (eastern KY farm) compost pile..tomato plants, pumpkins, watermelon, and sunflowers under the bird feeders, etc. But I usually bought organic seeds from my food coop.

Probably the great white north

What are these "vegetables" of which you speak?

Two I can think of our creamed corn and pork and beans

@astrochuck no, but I do have some beans I can sell you. You just plant them, climb up the vine, and there you will find the golden pork.

@PappyOnWings That would be nice if you could plant corn and beans and have them grow already processed into creamed corn and pork &beans

Yes, I always save seeds from my heirloom black tomatoes -- the most delicious tomatoes I have ever eaten. They have the size and texture of beefsteak tomatoes, but are more juicy and more delicious. If anyone wants some of the seed, send me a message on this site.

This year's tomato crop -- 18 plants -- is already going strong. Plants are 2 - 3 feet tall and full of blossoms. Living in central Florida enables me to get an early start.

I would love some seeds. These sound wonderful. Are they best fresh or can they hold up to canning/saucing?

@Crimson67 Aren't black tomatoes great? They are savory🙂

@misstuffy Every vegetable is best fresh, but tomatoes can well. We used to make salsa every year. There are tricks that I am happy to share the few I have.

@Leutrelle Ive been canning most of my life but I find some varieties hold up better than others, some are better suited to sauces and so on. I would love to hear any tips you have because I can always learn something new!

From a friend

But in what location?

@RavenCT In my back yard in Tampa, Florida.

@astrochuck Believe me I know! lol
I'm was thinking "Farmer's Almanac?" but they have it by region.

I can remember my Dad having a huge veggie garden - and you have got to follow the seasons and know what you are working with for soil.

@astrochuck The bank in my Hometown still gives it out!

@wordywalt You can grow year round in Florida. Plant your broccoli, and cabbage, and peas in the winter in a cool spot.

@astrochuck My grandad was a farmer in Pa., and used the Farmers Almanac. If I remember he planted the frost sensitive crops after the first full moon in May.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.