Agnostic.com

32 0

Have you read the Bible?

I never fully read the Bible, but when I attempted to I kept on finding so much bad and so little good within the pages that it only hastened my transition to no longer being christian. I still know more about it and read more than all of my christian family counterparts combined.

• 39 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 20 votes
AustinSkepticus 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Several times, And can quote it with the best evangelical! Actually, better, because I do not have amnesia about all the icky, questionable, and downright criminally disgusting parts, of which there are Many.

I saw the movie.

godef Level 7 Feb 21, 2018

I have read the buybull cover to cover 3 times. One time was a chronological order version which was actually kind of interesting. The prophesies were synced with the books they referred to and the psalms were synced with the times they were written. I actually taught buybull study classes, and attended several. I will never get those years back.

No, I let The Scathing Atheists do that for me and they provided the Cliff Notes version in their podcast.

The thing is an atrocity to read, which as a lysdexic makes it even more challenging.
I do use the Skeptics Annotated Bible (skepticsannotatedbible.com) as a reference.

I have read it twice. I've also read the koran. They are the main reason I'm an agnostic.

Unlike my more liberal parents and siblings, I read the Bible cover-to-cover more than anyone I knew, starting when I was eight. I read my KJV Bible constantly until the new paraphrase Bibles started coming out, then read them, then bought a 4-version Bible so I could compare. When I learned to speed read I'd casually zip through a few books each day.

In all fairness I also read every other book I came across, and even borrowed books from other missions, if I had a friend there.

I had no trouble with the supernatural Bible elements, since I could do most of that miracle stuff myself since I was a baby, being born with psychic powers, like my mom and sister, This is common for "two-spirit" (mixed gender) people in the Cherokee tribe, who are often trained as shamans.

I also uploaded Strong's Concordance, so I could read the original Bible manuscript Hebrew and Greek, and that's when I saw that 98% of what I'd been taught in church wasn't even in the Bible, due to translation spin.

I then began morphing my "religious" beliefs into quantum physics, since it best matches the best Bible elements and my experience.

I've read it twice cover-to-cover, and in school took an entire course (at UC Berkeley) studying it as a work of literature. It's illuminating to study in comparison to the Torah and The Quran. Basically the same books with new characters.

Twice,but admit to skipping over half of Psalms..even as a child thought it was scary and that christians were erie and creepy..The ministers were leeches and frauds..I was about 6 when I knew that.

Several times, in several translations, but the final time convinced me that it's all hogwash. As the 'Great Agnostic,' Robert Green Ingersoll recommends in his lecture, 'The Gods' (1872):

"All that is necessary, as it seems to me, to convince any reasonable person that the Bible is simply and purely of human invention—of barbarian invention—is to read it. Read it as you would any other book; think of it as you would of any other; get the bandage of reverence from your eyes; drive from your heart the phantom of fear; push from the throne of your brain the cowled form of superstition—then read the Holy Bible, and you will be amazed that you ever, for one moment, supposed a being of infinite wisdom, goodness and purity, to be the author of such ignorance and of such atrocity."

No, l just saw the movies. I put them right there with Elvis movies. Top flight entertainment.

What was that movie with Sexy jesus-?! With the pretty blue eyes? ❤?❤

@J-MaisOui That was Jeffery Hunter l think. There is another one Johnny Cash narrates that is really cheesy bad and Jesus is a blonde. I'm talking Gregg Allman blonde. The budget for this thing had to be a couple of hundred bucks. It's so bad it's really funny.

Yeah I grew up in a Southern Baptist when we were there when the church opened my parents were very strict very mean very non compassionate to those close to them
but as far as the world was concerned they were Model citizens. I remember as a kid being in my dad's office in in the preachers would be in there telling dirty jokes and having a little drink smoke and getting ready for the summer Extravaganza Like A Midsummer Crusade that are having to raise money in all of this
I didn't look at it that way then but now I see it for the house of Cards that it was meant to be from the very beginning. Anything to keep the person distracted keep them from Gaining personal Insight would be greatly appreciated and they put all those books together and they call it a Bible..
LOL!

I don't know a lot.
what I do know is that if I read something and I don't bring anything positive to you about it I just constantly bring you into a mood or and into energy of guilt and shame then I shouldn't be reading anyting to anyone
LOL
It's all just Sun worship anyhow. 🙂

I not only read it, I highlighted the dirty parts.

Yes, I have read the buybull. It's one of the reasons that I became an atheist.

Read it cover to cover a few times. Good stories. Some good lessons.

For class- I minored in world religion, that's what made me realize

Went to a Catholic school and was in the Boys Brigade for many years, both used the bible so got a fairly lengthy schooling in it. But that schooling also highlighted, for me, just how flawed it all was. So now that knowledge helps my arguments and understanding of a Christians view point.

Nope. No point.

I was educated in a church of England school and got told lots of fairy stories from it and couldn't see the point.

I had concluded that it's all man made tales that really had no relevance or bearing on my life.
Light before the sun?
Talking snake? Adam, Eve and 2 sons? Populate the world
Global Flood? Noah + wife and sons? Re-populate the world?
Need I go on?

Decent collection of fictional short stories.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 21, 2018

I've read 4 versions of the bible, every other Abrahamic text, every major world religions texts and most surviving other religious texts as well.

Which version?

The first five books. I've flicked through some of the other bits.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

I read it front to back twice.

I have. Cover to cover. Multiple times. It's the single most violent story I've ever read. It's what made me an athiest.

I never read more than I had to, which wasn't all that much (the well-known bits). I found it much too boring and frankly silly to ever read any other bits. I gather there's a lot of really bad stuff that I never read and am not going to.

Nah, it burns too much when I hold it! 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.