Agnostic.com

249 21

What is the non-theist replacement for "I'll pray for you?"

So many times a person is looking for comfort and Christians say "I'll pray for you." I've said "I hope it works out," or "I wish you the best..." but I don't see a non-religious equivalent.

Once, I was in my office, when a co-worker walked in and shut the door. He told me that his 1 1/2 year old grandson was diagnosed with leukemia.

Nearly in tears, he talked about the struggles the parents had. That he didn't know if the child would live. How the child was suffering and in pain-- and only a baby. I couldn't pretend to know what he was going through, though I felt truly sad hearing his story.

No words really seemed to fit. I did tell him that I had a cousin diagnosed with it as a child-- who survived, is an adult, and is doing well.

He stared at me-- waiting for the "I'll pray for you." I know, because he eventually said "Thanks for listening. I know you'll pray for me."

It wasn't the time to make a retort on that front, so I just nodded and let him go.

But, I've always wondered what is a good replacement phrase for the non-theist?

I'm so not good with that mushy stuff.

silvereyes 8 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

249 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Couldn't hurt.

I will pray for you doesn’t have to literally mean pray for them it’s aphrase meaning ihpe it all turns out well or I will be thinking of you so an atheist can say it without denying their lack of belief in the power of prayer also prayer may do no good but it can’t do any harm either think of it as sending positive thoughts out to the universe

Ya, many here have it right... be humble, not snarky, and ask if there's anything you can do to help. If they say no, then just say "<i>You're in my thoughts"</i>. That's all they want to hear...

My thoughts are with you. I sincerely wish to help if there is anything I can do...

Tell them they're in your thoughts and offer to do something specific and practical to help them out. Thoughts and prayers are fine but they need to be marked with action.

Mated with action, that is.

I have found myself to say. Oh I hope things get better for you.

"I'm sorry. I'm here for you. What can I do to help?"

I have never been a , "thoughts, and prayers" type of guy. i am remembering when I was a closeted gay, AND atheist when my next door neighbor died. We showed up, and cried with the widow. My then wife showed up with a pan of lasagna, bread, salad. Then fried chicken, and country fix ins. I showed up for the next 8 years and mowed her lawn, shoveled snow off the driveway, and sidewalk.

I usually ask what I can do to help them. I am a more hands on kinda guy.

"That is awful news! What may I do for you? How may I help? Sit down right here and let me bring you a cup of tea/coffee/chocolate. Please keep me posted. What terrible news, I can only imagine how you feel. I feel very sad to hear this, and sad for you, your family, and most especially for the baby as well. Would you like a hug? I hope you will keep talking to me about this in the days to come. Here's my phone number, if you need to talk to someone. May I send a meal to your family? (Munchery) Come have some lunch with me." Etc. See how it works?

I usually say, "I am sorry for your.........please know I will be thinking of you and sending you my warmest hopes. If I can do .....(don't say "anything." If you can and are willing to - Be specific - like offer to drive relatives or whoever from airport, etc., take food to the family, babysit a child, do a bit of housework or laundry, take over any of his work responsibilities, any small thing, etc.). Chances are he won't ask, but this will mean much more than "I'll pray for you." And most likely he will be very touched.

"I'll be thinking for you..." "I'm sorry to hear that..." "I can at least lend you an ear to listen to you..."

My thoughts and sympathy are with you. Please let me know anyway that I can help.

I like to say, " Of course I will be keeping you (or your loved one) close in my thoughts... but is there something tangible I can do to help? Bring some food you don't have to cook? Feed your pets while you stay at the hospital with your family member? Check on your house?" So often people are afraid to fill in the blank when you say "is there anything I can do," so I offer ideas for things I actually CAN do to help. It is more welcome than you would think, as so many people are embarrassed to ask for help with particular things when they need help the most.

I'll hold you in the light. They get to choose what light - light of God, light of love, whatever.

I have had the same difficulty. I tell people you have to make a memory count for something. Do good in the name of those lost. Live by positive examples they set. My grandmother was a very pious woman who found and encouraged the good in everyone and I hope to do the same. Life has a meaning in my opinion. For me that meaning is derived from the challenges we fact in life.

Praying is going to do nothing, if you don't believe in a God. And even for religious people to pray seems like such an ignorant concept to me. Its simply waiting for someone else to fix your problems inside of taking an sort of act to help progress the situation yourself. So a simple great response would have been, "I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, is there anything more I could do to help?"

"I'm here for you" usually. I'm terrible with emotional situations mostly but since the most I really can offer is sympathy and companionship that's what I offer.

I'll be sending you good energy. You may add, "...in my thoughts of you." But, it is implied.

I’m sorry about what you are going through.

I always send "positive thoughts". I feel like I have to say something, because they need the comfort, but I can't do "thoughts and prayers". My general script is "let me know if there is anything I can do. I will send positive thoughts your way." If nothing else, it gets them thinking about what I mean by that, and if I'm into all the heebie jeebie weird stuff out there, which lets them focus on something other than their grief, even if it is a momentary thing.

May the odds be in favor of whatever you're wishing.

wuh12 Level 2 Nov 23, 2017

Positive thoughts to the Universe

My response is usually, "Why pray for me, pray for yourself since I am perfectly fine and happy at being an Atheist."

I always say prayers because you can say a prayer or blessing and still not believe in their god, they seem to appreciate the thought.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.