Agnostic.com

249 21

What is the non-theist replacement for "I'll pray for you?"

So many times a person is looking for comfort and Christians say "I'll pray for you." I've said "I hope it works out," or "I wish you the best..." but I don't see a non-religious equivalent.

Once, I was in my office, when a co-worker walked in and shut the door. He told me that his 1 1/2 year old grandson was diagnosed with leukemia.

Nearly in tears, he talked about the struggles the parents had. That he didn't know if the child would live. How the child was suffering and in pain-- and only a baby. I couldn't pretend to know what he was going through, though I felt truly sad hearing his story.

No words really seemed to fit. I did tell him that I had a cousin diagnosed with it as a child-- who survived, is an adult, and is doing well.

He stared at me-- waiting for the "I'll pray for you." I know, because he eventually said "Thanks for listening. I know you'll pray for me."

It wasn't the time to make a retort on that front, so I just nodded and let him go.

But, I've always wondered what is a good replacement phrase for the non-theist?

I'm so not good with that mushy stuff.

silvereyes 8 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

249 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Best one I've seen is: "I'll think for you". A little snarky, yes, but it does get the point across.

I all was use the saying I am sending good thoughts and best wishes for the best outcome.

I usually say I am sending good thoughts your way. I do this because I believe on a Quantum level we are all connected. And when positive thoughts, from many people, during a certain time frame,are made, they very well may have some effect on outcome. It is science based not spiritual based.

"I wish you the very best." "Take responsibility for yourself." Okay, maybe not 😉.

I used to be Pagan so if they are long distance I just say "sending positive thoughts your way". Otherwise, I offer to help if needed. Never had anyone turn down positive thoughts.

"I'll keep you in my thoughts"
"I wish you the best"

Errrrr... maybe...... "May the force be with you!"

I think that the word "hope" is a good thing to say, as in; " I hope you will better soon and up and about in no time.". The word " luck" is also a great thing to say, as in; "Good luck with that!"

" I'll be wishing the best for you. "

The past few years I've been saying 'Sending you peace and strength', but am thinking now that its way to close to the uselessness of 'thoughts and prayers'. Anybody?

In similar situations, I have bought a large amount of good liquor for them to salve their pain. It works when all words tend to ring hollow.

JK666 Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

"I hope things get better.". Also "I'm sorry you are going through this".

You're right, no sincere words would fit. What is right, and what might bring solace, is to just listen and hold their hand.

I have an advantage of being an atheist for more than sixty years.
If they ask, "will you pray with me?" I say, "no, but I'll listen to yours."

When my 18-year-old daughter died I was very offended by stupid things people said to me such as "She is with God" or "You can have another baby." Just being there to listen is essential. Hugging can upset the grieving person so pay attention to their behavior. Doing something for the person is nice but merely being there and listening is the best thing as no one wants to be shrugged off or told something inane.

You can't go wrong with a sincere I'm sorry.

I can understand as I have been on both sides, close family death and friends becoming gravely ill and or die unexpectedly. There is no clear answer. I usually go with I am so sorry. Then I try to be available if they need to talk further.

I say "Sending good vibes your way".

I hear my fellow Christians say "I'll pray for you" all the time, and I have to wonder if they really do? Do they just say it to be "polite" and then forget about it and go to lunch?

Instead of telling someone that, I ask them if there is anything I can DO to help - what do they need NOW? Can they use an errand runner to the grocery store or pharmacist? Money? Or just an ear? Or someone to call at 3am? They don't need to know I'm praying for them, and most people really prefer/need hands-on help at the moment.

Replacement? No idea.
Response? Thank you.

I'm the same way. I've never found a good replacement, either.

marga Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

"I'll be thinking of you...let me know if there is anything I can do to help."

"I need the prayers and you need the practice"..................welcome to Waco

Well if I cared about the person I ask is there a way I could help. Unfortunately under the circumstances of this situation I probably would have handled it differently.

I just tell them the truth of what I want to express: I mention first that I am clumsy with my words sometimes. I tell them that I want to let them know that I feel horrible for what they are dealing with. I just show up to do stuff, like dishes,, housework, gardening, lawn, etc. It is easier for me to do actions, instead of talking.

Since I believe that "praying for" someone does absolutely nothing at all to help or better the situation in any way, I guess my equivalent would be to do nothing at all or help in any way to better the situation.
But if the phrase is being used by someone who truly believes that prayer is a way to provide comfort and assistance, I suppose my equivalent (depending on how much I like the person in need) is to offer my heart and home to them and let them know I understand struggle and will remain available whenever they need a good cry or cold beer.

In a case like this, I would just go along with the request for prayers. It is not important for me to ALWAYS blurt out my atheism. It is sometimes better to be kind than to be bluntly honest. In a time like this, I will say anything to help a person feel a bit better.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 18, 2017

I say I am sending positive thoughts and energy your way.

Some variation of "I wish you the best, let me know if I can help you" usually works for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.