Agnostic.com

20 5

First encounter

How was your first encounter and experience defending your non belief to a theist?

Tori 4 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As I live far from family and in a country that does not give a s"" about religion, I am not confronted that much, but from time to time one of those door to door preachers come to me and it is fun, they are really not prepared for an intelectual discussion and just use appeal to emotion arguments. I like to see the arguments imploding and he resorting to "well each one should believe in what he wants" and run away with some doubts in mind =)

It was the only fight I ever won with my wife. I had been an atheist all of our 16 year marriage but I had kept that to myself, I studied the Bible constantly finding it flaws. People came to me with Bible questions and I gave them the answers they wanted...Not my opinion.
One day when my son was in the 7th grade he said "ooh my God" in class. The teacher said "you are a Christian don't say that. He responded "I'm an atheist" and was sent to the principles office. Once I drilled him to find out if he really was I confessed to him and my wife that I was. ( I did have many words with the school and they apologized)

She was a Christian and started in with all the typical stuff, I thought that I could just do anything, I had no morals, etc. I told her. " I am the same man that you have been married to for 16 years, the only thing that has changed from five minutes ago is now you know I don't actually believe in a God." Conversation over.

She had to tell everyone we knew that I was an atheist, including family so I was out of the closet against my will for fear. Now 4 years later I am very active on the internet, and have my own atheist Youtube channel. The reason is It pissed me off that the teacher thoughtlessly attempted to embarrass, humiliate, and use her authority to MAKE my son believe in her religion. The school did not even issue a verbal reprimand.

I had to do what I could to keep bigotry from happening to other people. Here is a short video about why I do what I do.

Well love my first encounter was with family that could explain certain things of life. Then they insert that if they can't explain it that God did it or knows the answer. And me being young knew that that was bullshit and adults was lying 2 me .

Hey everyone!!! It was really comforting reading your comments and experiences! Thanks for replying to my first post!

Tori Level 4 Jan 30, 2019

Well, saying that I didn't believe in god, or the bible really took the wind out my parents sails.

I bet it did. I never brought my atheism up to my parents as my mother was very religous. Momma suspected anyway as she kept bringing up to me about getting back to the lord. I didn’t really come out as being atheist until after my parents were dead and even then only to people who I didn’t think were all that religous as I like to avoid confrontations with the religous.

Well, at the time I was coming out both as an atheist and beign gay at the same time. My itent was to come out as gay, but i realized I could avoid a lot of drama and discussions i didn't want to have if I also came out a atheist at the same time. My impetus for coming out was I had met someone and he was pretty "obviously gay". As it turned out, just like most first loves it didn't last, but once out, I didnt' go back.

I can’t exactly recalled my first encounter with a religous person but I’m quite certain I was roundly condemned for my lack of belief in god.

I generally try to avoid arguing with the religous about their religion as it seems to be quite pointless and often they get angry if you mention the fact that there is no evidence for gods or higher powers.

I really try to not encourage debate type dicussions where defending is part of the action. Trying to prove a negative is mostly impossible. As often as not just letting someone try to prove a positive ( god is real), fall apart when questioned on definitions.....( define "real" )....btw...welcome to the world of godlessness....the very funnest place to put your head.

I get plenty of exercise here in Florida because I run like the fucking wind when the topic comes up. Lol

About the same as the next 25 until I wised up to you cannot argue with blind faith.

I haven't had to do so yet, but I think I'm ready to do so. If it ever comes up. Dogma free is the place to be.

12 years old. I was supposed to start confirmation classes to become an adult member of the church. I told my parents I thought it was all nonsense.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 30, 2019

And what did they say when you told them that?

@Trajan61 My mother said "Fine! Be an Atheist Freak! I don't care!"

"Mom, I don't believe in God," I said at age 13. I told her I wanted to stop going to church. .

"That's fine, honey," my mother kindly replied. "You don't have to attend church anymore." Dad agreed.

"I became an atheist in nursing school," Mom said when I was 35. "I realized a woman cannot be turned into salt."

My parents didn't have a leg to stand on. Dad never went to church.

Mom dropped us off at the Methodist Church for Sunday school, shoving us into the arms of the Lord. Then Mom went back home.

I wish my family as open minded as yours.

@freedom41 agreed

I normally don't have to defend my views. I smile and listen to others' views and I act like I care.

I know who I am and what I want in life and how to treat others. I carry my strength and spirituality deep down inside and live by it.

No one needs to know where I get my strength from. It's a private and sacred matter.

Decades ago. I have no idea now. Apparently it wasn't memorable.

It's been WAYYY too long since my ''first." I won't debate a believer and won't allow them to debate me. It's pointless.

YUP..I just change the subject and try to consider the source.

A Xian co-worker many years ago made it his personal mission to "save" me. He was a good guy and I liked him so I'd just counter his arguments with reason. He did not succeed in "saving" me.

I do not defend my beliefs. I will not discuss or argue with theists in any way. if someone asks what I believe I will tell them and give the reason for my conclusions and it will go no further.

There was JW's at my door I just told him I didn't believe it and nothing they could say would change my mind

i have never had to defend my nonbelief to a theist. why should i? i am an atheist, and a theist can natter on all s/he wants but i don't owe him/her/anyone any explanations.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:277326
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.