Agnostic.com

11 8

LINK Bipartisan bill would withhold pay for president, lawmakers during shutdowns | TheHill

Finally, something honorable from Congress. But do they have the resolve to pass the bill?

ATDayHiker 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems obvious that Congress should have the same pay scales, health insurance, retirement etc. as those they govern. Anything else is insane!

Never going to happen in our lifetimes, never. One doesn't shoot oneself in the foot.

As to Congress, it would require a Constitutional amendment to be legal.

Their Congressional and presidential pay is far from their main source of income.

Not a good idea. The rich legislators won't care, and the more representative of us, the non-rich, will suffer. A better approach is to ban shut downs.

My guess is that the House will pass it but the Senate won’t

A good first step, if it gets passed. However I think it would be insufficient motivation since most of our lawmakers are wealthy and wouldn't be missing any meals.

A better proposal would be to not only withhold the president's and congress' pay, but steep compounding fines for every day there is no budget. When they eventually go broke, they get incarcerated at their desk so they still can vote on a new budget. (You know, since that is literally their fucking job!)

And by the way, those fines do not get returned to them, once the impasse is over. Also by steep compounding, I mean that the richest 100 people on earth pooling their money, would be broke in a week.

A pipe dream, I know. But I think it provides the right incentive.

@OwlInASack And in a week, they would all be on equal footing. On top of that I remember reading some time back that a majority of the wealthiest congress members are Democrats... if that even matters. Edit: According to wikipedia, I guess it still slightly favors Republicans, but still doesn't matter.

The message is simple, do the job that you were elected for, or their will be penalties that you will feel. If you can't muster the majority vote needed, then guess what... in our system you lose.

But again, this is a pipe dream that will never fly.

@OwlInASack
"That is the definition of the tyranny of the majority. It's not something I aspire to."

But in our representative republic where there are 535 votes, and bills get passed when a predetermined percentage of the majority of votes are cast in favor, what else would you call that?

You may not like the fact that the sky is blue, but I guess I'm confused about why you think we live in a world where it isn't so?

@OwlInASack
The purpose is not to punish the losing side but to provide a reminder via incentive, to do their job period end of story. If they do their job, no penalty. In the same vein of me facing a penalty for not doing my job. I'm not concerned about who's poorer or who's losing. If anything, the wealthier ones have more to lose. Once the poorer losing side is broke they can stalemate it until the other side is broke too. Then they can get down to brass tacks and pass a budget since they are not going anywhere.

Strawman? I guess, but since we're debating a spitball idea of mine that has zero chance of ever becoming law... I'm not even sure of what we are talking about anymore.

Does anyone actually think that withholding gubment pay from millionaires would have any affect/effect what-so-ever on their decision making?
Perhaps a bipartisan bill preventing the gubment from EVER being shut down would end this fiasco for good.

Let's see how important this wall is to tRump. Is he willing to put his money where his big, critical and very loud mouth is?

Awesome - that bastard McConnell will try to squash it. Greedy SOB.

I support it

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:277410
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.