Agnostic.com

17 1

To dispute or not to dispute?

Hi everyone,

My dad is 83 and has seen a lot in his life. A big impact in his life was the Vietnam War. After the war, he found comfort, strength, will, and reason through Christianity. Sometimes I try to have a conversation with him, but he's made up his mind.

I can see he desperately needs his religion. I am afraid I don't have a lot of time left with him. Would it be wrong for me to just play along? I use to argue with him all the time about the bible, because I wanted him to see the flaws in religion, but now I just want him to be happy.

TerryLee 4 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At the age of 83, it is very unlikely he will change his mind. My sister attempted to “convert” my folks to “accept Jesus” for years. As they were dependent on her (my brother and I lived away) for assistance, they just went along without changing their view. They both were educated, science professionals in their working life, and were agnostic in their belief system.

Don't think of it as 'playing along,' but as support. He is not going to change his views on the subject. Like you said, you want him to happy.

Let it Be... He earned his Right to his Paradise on Earth... whatever it is for him... Should be and you should be supportive of the 83 year old and from my part... tell him I thank him for his Service and Sacrifice. You don't need to understand him. It is out of your league... out of your paygrade. It is about him not about you or your belief/disbelief. Leave the man alone if you can't support him. I am sorry to be this Blunt.

As long as you know what your actual truth is, why not ? Its humanitarian - I don't argue about religion with anyone I'll listen if I want to give that person my time because I like them so I don't make religion a no go area but it might be nice to try to get them to talk about other things as well as maybe there are things you would like to know from him before he leaves you.

If he isn't trying to impose his beliefs on you or others, I would let the matter lie.

I think the only time we really need to challenge someone's beliefs is if they are causing pain... to others, or themselves. Or, if we're invited, through discussion, to do so. Even then, beliefs come with some pretty impenetrable defenses. Getting through those defenses, even for those who understand beliefs, is hard.

I think it would be okay to focus on being closer. Talk about what inspires you, what you have in common, and debate other issues if they come up so long as it doesn't get divisive. He might even enjoy hearing how you cope with the issues that he finds important, but because they happened through a genuine conversation, the beliefs didn't need to throw up a defense. If he dies believing in God, but ends up just being dead... I don't think it's going to matter to him (or you).

I can see why you wouldn't want to do something like fake being converted or whatever, but - beyond directing a person away from religious conversation (which can be an impossible task if they are facing end of life issues) it's honest enough to find some aspects that you can go along with - like maybe you could agree that people should be forgiven under a variety of circumstances. Let him know what principles you agree with as he brings them up, even if you do not believe the personification/allegory/whatever presentation technique Christianity uses as an overlay. Just try to gloss over the parts you don't agree with. There's nothing wrong with saying something like "I'm glad that all of this brings you comfort."

Religion does have a lot of flaws, but it can have some psychological benefits too, like providing fun or comfort - and at 83, it can be more important to feel comfortable than eschew the flaws - especially if he is not in a position to send a bunch of people to their deaths in a crusade or something.

For all the bad shit religion pushes on the unsuspecting, the one think I do have to concede is how much comfort it can bring. Christians who use religion as a comfort blanket don't bother me as long as they don't use it to cover for their hate for others.

Quit arguing. His life has led him to where he is. You cannot compete with his experiences. Accept him as he is. Find your place in his life and live it the best that you can. You Will have no regrets when he is gone, Just great memories.

I think it is pretty awesome of you that you are willing to go along with him because you want him to be happy. I had a real crappy relationship with my parents, and religion was a big problem. They are gone now, and I have no regrets but I wish it could have been different and my dad would not have been so hard nosed about it.

It's his only way of dealing with the horror so I would bight your lip unless he tries force feeding it to you.

My mum is 80 in a few months and has not aged well.
She has been involved in her church as long as she can remember and was made an elder in her very early 30s.

I have tried to live and let live, not take away the only only thing that she has clung to for support while married to a violent drunk. I won't go into all the things she accepted and permitted because it must be gods will.
But she will not let me be, will not accept how I want to live my life, and always turns to god for her argument because there are no facts to support her position. And even when the bible does not support her case, it becomes her interpretation of the bible.

I try to avoid any discussion of religion, but she always bring it up, I usually tell her to just let me burn in hell, but leave me alone.

Re your father, just play along, it does you now harm, and why make him sad or try and question his life long beliefs. You love him, and want him to be happy, even if that means he isn't right and believes in a fallacy.

A lot of people need religion. It gives them comfort, guidance and meaning. It's not inherently negative to believe. I would just let him embrace the sense of peace it gives him, and focus instead on what you have in common.

When we are trying to prove a point or dispute a point is it because we want to be proven right or because we want the others to be proven wrong? How much of it is hubris?

Every person has a right to believe whatever as long as their beliefs don't infringe my happy life i respect their right to believe like I expect people to respect my right to not believe it. Especially someone that old what's to be gained by convincing him his happiness has been based on a lie. If he's happy that's all that should matter. Some arguments are not worth winning.

At 83 he's earned the right to believe as he wishes, let him be. If his religion makes him happy, why would you not want that? You say you want that, sooo?

^^This

Damned Right!!!!!

As you said, he has made up his mind. Let him be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27768
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.