Agnostic.com

11 1

Robo Calls & Junk Mail

Have you all noticed the Increase in Robo Calls and Junk Mail in the past 2 years?

Junk Mail: i am constantly getting sale papers, and ad mail from all types of businesses. Its gotten to the point where i only go to the box once a month when i know all the bills are there!

Robo Calls: I constantly get Robo Calls on my cell.
Here's a few i constantly get= " Don't hang up" , The Famous " Car Warranty", or " Do you experience back pain"? Lately i get a call and i hear soft pleasing music and this lady starts speaking Mandarin!
I have also noticed the numbers often are similar to my area code and prefix to entice me to take the call.
I have tried most of the apps on the app store and nothing really works.

Do any of you all have these issues? Please Share!

twshield 8 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have MrNumber and it has seriously cut down the spam and robo calls.

It is not "junk mail". It is commerce that funds the most efficient & reliable postal service on the planet. This is one of Benjamin Franklin's many contributions to our nation. Please do not disparage the funding of our mail carriers who suffer from the weather, poor management, & disrespectful postal patrons. That business & commercial enterprise should be dismissed as "junk" reveals a lack of understanding on just how capitalism functions.

@twshield True 'dat. Slow workers =managers not permitted to put more clerks on the window unless the squealing of the public gets so loud the Postmaster can hear it.

I get these all the time too on my cell phone, even calls at my job. I noticed that they do use similar area codes, but they also start with a + and a number which is usually outside the United States. It's called a country code. Anything other than +1 is not a call coming from the USA.

I used to be plagued by people who wanted to help me claim for a car accident injury. Sometimes I would get a call of this nature every couple of days. Then one day when I was waiting for an urgent call from one of my family, one of these clowns rang. I snapped. I don't know what came over me, but I cursed this guy and his family in the name of god, for illegally using my phone number for this purpose . I didn't get another call for months and months. Then about a year later it started again so I did the same thing again and haven't had another call of this nature since. Nowadays I feel a bit guilty for disrespecting the sensibilities of these people. After all they are only trying to make a living. But I've never heard of any other method being successful in blocking cold calling

i myself have been granted some medical equipment stuff i reguested without my knowing it. I'm reminded every few days. ?

I use NomoRobo in my landlines and Android...I rarely get robo calls anymore...

@twshield Comcast offers it for free...

Me too! I get all kinds of scam calls on my cell phone.

@thinktwice @twshield I just looked it up and NomoRobo has a free two week trial and then you pay $1.99 after that. If this app cuts down on these calls then I think it's worth a couple of dollars a month.

@balou I seem to remember that I paid $20 for something..maybe the app for my phone...the one for the landline must be free from comcast...you have to let the phone ring two rings or something...the instructions on their site helped...it is worth it...I hate those!

If I don't have the number in my contact list, I don't answer the call. That said, there are times when I'm waiting for a callback and so I have to answer just in case it's the call I'm waiting for. When I do this, the nuisance calls I get the most are the instant hang-ups. I answer the phone and tit instantly hangs up. I've always assumed it's some kind of auto dialer confirming that the number is active so they can follow up later with their sales pitch.

That's just a guess. I'm not sure what it actually is but I get it a lot.

I am overrun with robo calls!!! They wake me up daily!!! I recently added nomorobo, supported by my (land line) phone company, and it has helped a ton.

Zster Level 8 Jan 31, 2019

Mail -- I only check it about once a week. Junk mail is annoying. I toss it in the recycle bin. I haven't specifically noticed an increase, however.

Calls -- I rarely answer unrecognized numbers. If I do answer, I request to be removed from the database. Otherwise, I'll Google the number and if it is a solicitation, I will often block the number using that feature on my phone.

I also registered for this Opt Out for Five Years. It's not foolproof, but I don't find I am inundated with offers and calls: [consumer.ftc.gov]

As for mail. I do not think anything can be done about it other than just tossing it.
If I do not recognize the caller name or number, I simply do not answer my phone or just reject the call. If it is something necessary, they will leave a message and I can return the call.
Still very annoying however.

Yes. If you've got a p.o. box, you'll get deluged with junk mail. I've had four, over the past 20 years. And the junk mail was a big headache. One solution might be to buy a paper-making kit from Hobby Lobby, and convert it all into stationary, or maybe even toilet paper. But you'd only be re-cycling it. Another solution might be to mark each piece "Return to Sender", and re-mail it.(Although, I don't know if the Post Office accepts re-mailed junk mail).

Any solicitation mail with a postage paid return envelope goes back to them with a nasty note.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:278142
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.