Agnostic.com

47 9

Why do men save badly worn-out clothes?

What is it with men and their worn-out, beloved shirts?

Once again, I'm repairing a man's badly worn-out plaid shirt. This afternoon, I covered the torn, threadbare collar. Will top-stitch it tomorrow morning.

How did I do? Used fabric leftover from fixing a young man's lucky hunting shirt.

The bottom of this shirt is in ribbons. It looks like a spider web. Will fix that and multiple holes.

At least I'm getting paid. He could buy two or three new shirts for what this is going to cost him.

I don't get it. I never save worn-out clothes. This shirt is so old, it looks like it's from the first time he got laid.

Guys! Why do men save badly worn-out clothes?

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They are comfortable and come with memories.

I don’t know. It’s not my thing. I will pass things along to others who might need them while the clothes are still serviceable.

If it's of good quality, like my Pendleton shirts, I'll have them repaired. Otherwise, forgetaboutit.

I have concert T's and shirts friends have given since I was a teenager. I've saved for sentimental value. They aren't worn out, but they are well worn.

I don't do that.

I should really buy new T-shirts more often. About half of my white T-shirts are now a very drab gray. I do usually buy new briefs once every year or two. I need to learn to use bleach one of these days, I think.

I don’t have any worn out clothes at the moment, my current girlfriend threw them all out.......

A friend sent me one aspect/reason to wear old clothes which most of us have no idea.
[facebook.com]

@JackPedigo

I doubt it's altruistic.

@LiterateHiker If one takes care of their clothes they should last a long time. I still have a short sleeve shirt someone gave to me while in Germany (mid-80's). A trick I do is my collars wear out first so I remove them and turn them around and sew them back on. I was surprised to see my reply from 3 years ago. Clothes have an enormous environmental footprint. Our award given (from Inslee) take it or leave it has a lot of clothes some of which still have their tags. I have not bought a pair of pants in years. I find some really nice pants at the TIOLE and simply raise the cuffs.

Guilty as charged. Tee shirts and short-sleeved buttoned shirts, flannel shirts like the one you show (nice repair job!!!) hats, jeans...I just can’t seem to part with them. I have no logical reason for it. Nostalgia, material I love, the simple I get seeing it in my drawer or closet.

It looks just fine ?

@Spongebob

Are you talking about the new collar I made?

The photo doesn't show the shirt bottom is in ribbons with gaping holes. IIt looks like a spider web.

I don't do this, so there is at least one of us not afflicted.

My wife says the same. I spend a lot of time outdoors doing work around the yard and with old clothes I do not care if they get dirty, torn etc. If I wore new clothes then I would feel like I have to be careful and I would not enjoy it as much. I love to hug a horse but they put all kind of stuff on you.

I like good new clothes that fit well and hate when they are worn out but I still have many that aren't in great shape. We didn't have a lot when I was growing up and it's very difficult to spend money on me.

Well, for me there are certain clothes that make me feel attractive and confident. It’s hard to say goodbye to them. I think men & women are the same in that way.

Because they're comfortable.

laziness + lack of caring what others think

Marz Level 7 Feb 2, 2019

I will wear stuff until it falls apart because I like them and much of the new clothes don’t feel or fit as nice. I have an old tattered flannel shirt, was my dad’s and passed on to me. The collar is close to falling off, so I only wear it around the house (most of the time) or to walk the dog. But it is warm, has two nice pockets, and fits comfortable. If the collar goes, I might just try to customize it into a neru collar with no wings! ? I generally take pretty good care of my clothing. Much of what is in my closet is ten to twenty years old and look fine; colors not faded, no holes, and still fit.

Some combination of superstition, sentimentality, stubbornness, laziness, and thrift would be my top guesses depending on the guy. Thrift obviously is ruled out in this case. I like to repair things when possible but not if its not gonna save any time or money.

Could be badly worn, or worn out perhaps more appropriately.

I've noticed this, too, with some guys I know. It seems like there's a sentimental attachment to those well-worn shirts, even if they're barely holding together. Maybe it's the comfort or the memories associated with them. My friend still keeps his Ugly Christmas Sweater from his teenage years and loves it. I guess we all have our quirks when it comes to clothing!

I am a guy, so I'd say for practical reasons

If it was me it would not be the shirt but......think about it a bit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:279391
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.