Agnostic.com

10 5

Finished repairing a worn, threadbare shirt for a man

Repairing this old shirt took 7-1/2 hours. I replaced the collar, patched holes and mended tears.

On both sides of the front, the bottom of the shirt was in ribbons. It looked like a torn spider web. Using an embroidery hoop, I painstakingly pulled the threads together.

Then fused soft, fusible interfacing to the inside on the bottom, to hold the reweaving in place.

How much to charge?

7.5 hours @ $20/hour = $150.

7.5 hours @ $15/hour = $112.50

I think it looks good.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is one expensive shirt! I wear stuff forever, but it would be in the rag bin before I spent any money to repair them. If it’s something simple I do it myself (not half as good as you, for sure). I have darned socks a few times, sewn a belt loop on or a pocket. This was major surgery!

7.5 hours!? You can replace lots of engines or transmissions in less time than that. Didn't you agree on a price beforehand?

@TheGreatShadow

My hairstylist told him how much I charge. Ninety-five percent of the work was painstaking hand-sewing with tiny, invisible stitches.

@LiterateHiker Then why are you asking how much to charge? Did you give him an estimate?

@TheGreatShadow

I had no idea how much work the shirt entailed until I got it home. It was a continual problem-solving process.

People let a snag turn into a tear, then into a hole.

Zipping up a jacket, my daughter caught her knit sweater in the zipper pull. After struggling to yank it out, she used scissors. Oops.

Machine-knit sweaters are made with one long piece of yarn. Immediately the sweater began unraveling in a rapidly-increasing hole.

"Mom can fix it," Claire said. I love a challenge.

Using a lighted, magnifying mirror and and embroidery hoop, I found and taped down the two yarn ends to stop the unraveling.

I don't knit or crochet. By following the pattern, I wove the yarn ends in-and-out with a crochet hook (a useful tool). Finally, I secured the cut ends inside the sweater.

"It looks perfect!" Claire exclaimed, She was thrilled.

Men say they are not sentimental but develop more attachment to trivial things.

It was a very SPECIAL FRISBEE!

$150. You are a miracle worker.

Carin Level 8 Feb 2, 2019

@Carin

Thanks, dear. I feel proud of the job I did.

I dress make and really it becomes unbelievably expensive to make clothes and expect people to pay. I am currently making a prom dress and 4 bridesmaid dresses. I charge cost of materials, my electricity and minimum wage. I still get 'I'll get ya a bottle of wine Jayne'....grrr

I sewed my daughter's jr and sr prom dresses. The jr one was a 40's glam type with so many layers.
Sr one was a svelte, clingy black thing.

Get that a lot working on cars. I have an associates, and probably 100K in tools. I charge $45/hr. Lots of times I get "I'll buy you a 12 pack". No. Can't pay bills in beer...

@BufftonBeotch Erm you don't still have the pattern for the svelte one do you? (We need a group)

He will want to give you $20 and think he is doing you a favor.

Craft people need to get the price up front.

@BufftonBeotch

Kameon told him how much I charge to fix and alter clothes.

Even at minimum wage wage, wouldn't 7.5 hours pay cover a new shirt?

@jerry99

Of course. Yesterday I posted:

Why do men save badly worn-out clothes?

Wow!!! That is one impressive AF repair job. No lie!
I'd charge him the $150. That was A LOT of work.

Did you take "before" pics?

@ KKGator

I did not take a picture of the torn, worn-out collar. The first picture show how threadbare and thin the bottom of the front was before I re-wove it.

It had big holes.

@LiterateHiker I am sincerely impressed by how well you repaired the shirt.
I certainly hope you are very proud of yourself. You really should be.

@KKGator

Thank you, dear. I feel proud of the collar. It turned out great.

Damn woman,..and you don't love this man?

If she "loved" him, I doubt she'd be trying to figure out what to charge him.

@KKGator I know that....

@MerlinZap

My hairstylist gave me the shirt to fix. He is one of her customers.

"I was talking up how you fixed Travis's worn-out plaid shirt," Kameon said. Travis, 18, is her son.

Previously, I resurrected Travis's "lucky" nearly-destroyed hunting shirt.

Your repair work looks great. This shirt must have some sort of sentimental value. For the mid-point of your two numbers, I could buy a lifetime supply of flannel shirts with a lot left over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:280029
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.