Agnostic.com

90 10

Why do you think majority of people still believe in God?

It's crazy to even think about the amount of religious believers who get flu shots every year, but still think evolution is just a theory. I mean, it's a theory, but this theory allows us to make predictions about the future. Gravity is just a theory but you don't see people not agreeing with it.

Jay345 4 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see religion as the lazy answer to life's questions, as a crutch, as an excuse.. Blind Faith is the sin of not thinking for yourself, not accepting responsibility for one's own actions, and assigning them instead to evil spirits or to the Devil. I see religion as coming to us from cavemen. I see religion as a giant linguistic hoax. I see guilt, shame, and fear as the main tools of religion. I SEE THAT MANY RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WOULD FEED A STRAY CAT, BUT NOT A HOMELESS MAN. They would protect the fetus but not the child. I do not look to ancient myth as my guide through life. I DO NOT NEED SCAPEGOATS.

Hi how you doing it Melissa let chat private add me up melissamichealmelissa@gmail.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, education in the United States is in decline. This is evident in the new administration and the woman who has been chosen to lead the nation's education system. The affect in this new era of Strump, is that more blind, uneducated followers will eagerly become more religious. The well educated will become the minority.

By the way, gravity is not a theory. It is a proven fact.

Gravitational theory is still by definition a theory. Scientific theories like gravity and evolution are supported by facts but they still maintain the umbrella (large concept) supported by data points (facts) model.

It mostly comes down to the personality type. There are emotional types, sensory types and thinking types. Religious people are usually emotional types.

As an intj, I am a thinking type. This is why dispite being brainwashed, I never truely accepted christianity.

Brainwashed and weak. And their subject to their environment around them.

Easier then free thinking

Because the cycle of lies told them so.

That's the point. Nothing is as it seems. I don't follow any particular religion but look for the "metaphors" as you refer to them - as a message. I think Shakespeare had it right when he wrote in Hamlet, " There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Fluidity in experience and belief... that is key to me. - Carolyn

Actually statistics show more millinials, scientific minds and the few people (in Tulsa, Oklahoma)that weren't brainwashed aren't going down religion row. That could be a good thing!

Ignorance, fear an propaganda.

Fear and morals I suppose? Have you watched the movie The Village? I like to think their interpretation is probably pretty accurate.

Fear and guilt in my experience. Fear of death and guilt about not following your parents and peers or community. I don't actually believe anyone actually believes.

Willful suspension of reason, is the only explanation for someone to make use of the results of the scientific method but to deny it's existence.

The belief in a supernatural ' Boss' , gives believers the answers to everything , and allays the fear of death .Of course , most faiths seem to think that they have a moral superiority too .

Evolution is now considered scientific fact.
Hasn't been a theory for decade and a half.
Bars.

It's, more than anything, a cycle. Parent teaches child. Child impressionable, no choice. Child becomes a parent...

But we're going to see a shift in the next couple of years, I know it. New variables are being introduced with technology making information readily available.

I guess it depends on the audience you're communicating with. I mainly say "the theory of evolution" because I know what a theory is and how strong it is in the scientific world. However, I understand what you mean, although evolution can be both a theory and a fact.

Lack of education

I think people confuse scientific theory and philosophical theory or don't even distinguish between the two.
For many it may be a cultural issue. They grew up with a god in their household, so they continue with that idea in their lives whether they actually believe or not. It's almost habit.

dokala Level 7 July 27, 2018

I don't think that most people who claim to be religious actually believe. Most people are really just hedging their bets. Their main argument for god existing is usually "What if you're wrong?"

Fear of death, brainwashing from birth, and lack of critical thinking education.

It's a recipe for disaster.

We have to have an answer to where we are going to when we die. It doesn't have to be true, just has to be a answer.

People seem to like gods. We've invented a whole bunch of 'em over time.

We are programmed to by evolution.

Two monkeys see a bush rustle, one assumes the Bush was moved by the breeze and ignores it.
The other monkey assumes the Bush was moved by some unseen intelligence, perhaps a tiger hiding there.

Guess which monkey we are descended from?

It's comforting to think that life doesn't end after we get done toiling on this ball of dirt and that it becomes perfect. It's a delusion that keeps people from making the real world better.

Childhood indoctrination is why so many still believe and that's also why religion thrives

The average person is weak and scared but won't admit. Belief in a higher power takes pressure off them. Their self doubt convinces them they are destined to fail. Preacher says "just give it to Jesus, he can handle it. I try to tell them it was inside them all along. They succeeded not Jesus. They refuse to admit that and take some credit because that would destroy the illusion imperative to their life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2811
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.