Agnostic.com

90 10

Why do you think majority of people still believe in God?

It's crazy to even think about the amount of religious believers who get flu shots every year, but still think evolution is just a theory. I mean, it's a theory, but this theory allows us to make predictions about the future. Gravity is just a theory but you don't see people not agreeing with it.

Jay345 4 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Generation after generation of stories, traditions and the fear of God that nobody had the balls to intercept . When it comes to my and my three daughters....two outa three ain't bad!

Because they were taught so

Do they believe in god or do they believe in belief. I really think most , if they truly examined themselves, really don't believe in a book full of things like talking donkeys, flying chariots, and resurrections. Even the ones who qualify as believers, don't give much thought. It is just comfort that helps them deal with the loss of loved ones.

probably because they are blinded from a very young age as I was growing up I was even baptized in a Catholic church. so growing up some still remain as they were taught n start teaching that to their children.

Don't know how to think scared to think outside what there taught

God is a theory just mass indoctrination most people believe but most probably half just don't care enough to find out what's a truth or a lie.Fear of death and the fact life is so short we have evolved a coping mechanism to deal with the end also vanity

I think it is out of fear.Fear of a revengeful deity that will punish them if they deviate from their beliefs .Also it takes a special kind of psyche to overcome the brainwashing that led them to these beliefs.

like the budgie in the cage with the door open can not see for the bars which bind.

Because fundamentally, people are f*cking stupid. They grow up around the church, most of them never travel far enough from their birthplace to witness another culture or religion, and most of us are absolutely terrified of death. As logical and rational as any of us think we are, we are also deeply emotional and social animals, to be ostracized from your community and family is a punishment second only to torture or death. (Torture and death being another possible punishment for your lack of faith.)

because they are indoctrinated as children

For the majority I honestly believe it is because it's the popular choice in the US, barring that I would go with because it makes them feel better to be included in a group, to have some sort of belief that they're not in control but something bigger than them is and is divine, or simply because they don't understand the universe and somehow the story in their book makes sense to them.

I don't quite understand it personally, but I could see how one could get mixed up with the wrong crowd, hang out eating crackers and grape juice, and just get comfy.

Because they were dogmatically trained to, and can't think for themselves tor use logic to rule out the existence of a god.

Gary Level 4 Nov 7, 2017

Indoctrination from an early age is a big one. Imagine if you weren't allowed to know anything about religion until you were 18. You'd be like "seriously? This is rubbish."

Indoctrination is the main reason people still believe in gods. You believe because your parents brain washed you into it. They believe because of their parents and so on. Very few people come from a religion free childhood and become religious later in life.

I think it's because of the comforting feelings about an afterlife. Most agnostics and atheists believe when we die our physicial death, it's over. No afterlife.

Because it's easy & you can turn your brain off.

...social pressure~especially the poor

Family and church indocrination.

Indoctrination and lack of education

Becouse they need a manual to get them through life. They can't work it out for themselves! 

Thet're lazy

Fear. Fear of a great darkness that awaits us all in the end. The older and closer to the end of a road one gets - the more he wants to believe it's not the end yet.
Lack of knowledge. That's where all the gods originate from anyway - lightning, wind earthquake etc. And as some people still belive in flat earth - they have more space for God's than me for instance...
But... There's a third reason too for smart people. When you understand how really complicated the world is how evolution goes on against law of entropy growth, how little chances life in general and you in particular had to appear, you start wonder. Why from all the possibilities this one with me happened? Maybe there is one universal super power? that looks after all this mess and tries to keep it together??
Something like that?

Parents brainwashing their children, not allowing them to have a chance at forming their own opinions

One big reason is fear. Perhaps you want to read my posting about the bravery of being an atheist.

Half do not think. Less than half don't know how to think. Some wish to remain fools. Hence why Atheist have created one of the worst religious cults around SJW-ism. Proof some people wish to be a fool no matter what. Then others are scared of what is after death, and they think praying to one god out of thousands is the apt choice.

Malus Level 4 Feb 14, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2811
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.