Agnostic.com

25 0

Left-handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?

• 14 votes
  • 30 votes
  • 5 votes
AustinSkepticus 7 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was born left handed, raised right handed. Both my parents and school teachers punished using my left hand. Perhaps this resulted in some changes in my brain as I do think in different ways.

I have discovered that most things I learned how to do as an adult are left handed. As a child, my left hand was taped to prevent me using it

That need to convert children from left-handed to right is rooted in the christian religion, the left being the side of the devil.
My sister grade 1 teacher used to strap or cane her for writing with her left and tell her that she must reject the devil and use the hand that god gave her to write with.
I was born right handed so, I miss that abuse but, I witnessed it being applied to a classmate by my grade one teacher that kid never did learn to read and write dropped out of school as soon as he could. I often wonder if his life would have been different if they just let him be what he was.

@SherryMartin 😟 I know, I know, that's what they did. But, it makes me sad nonetheless.

@HeathenFarmer When you consider that there is no God or devil what does this tell you about humanity's ability to reject anyone who is even slightly different.

@El-loco Religion often just gives people the permission to be the asshole that lies within. We should all be like dogs they seem to not care what another dog looks like they still just treat it like another dog.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

JimG Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

Right handed. My left hand can be quite useless, I think its just there for decoration 😉

Sacha Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

LOL
As long as it's providing some sort of service. Decorations can be nice.

I think sometimes mine is just a counterweight.

I do almost everything right-handed, but when I first started using computers, I decided to use my left hand for the mouse. I reasoned that I could then keep my right hand free for the number pad on the right side of the keyboard. Now I am comfortable using either hand for the mouse.

sort of opposite to what I do, but I guess that makes sense

You forgot to add cross dominance. when you use one hand for some things, and the other hand for different things, but not being able to do everything with both.

That's me! But for eating and writing, it's definitely left. Strength (batting, bowling) is for right.

I am a righty with a broken wrist so I am learning to do lots of things left handed. Hoping this will have some benefit later in life otherwise it’s just a p.i.t.a.

Luckily I am a righty and did not have to undergo religious driven reprogramming.

While Paul McCartney plays left handed bass guitar, everything else he does is done right handed.

Primarily right-handed. Slightly ambidextrous.

beat me to it.

ambidextrous doesn't mean the equal use of hands. it means nearly equal so I guess everyone is ambidextrous.

I'm ambidextrous, crap with either hand. joking aside I am ambidextrous. did you know most polar bears are left-handed?

Except for mousing. Gotta use my right hand on the mouse. Go figure.

apart from typing myself

Yes, that's about the only thing I use my right hand for too. Well, maybe not the only thing.

I am ambidextrous with the mouse. I did have a bit of trouble initially but now I use the left hand more than the right

Right-handed, but I wish I was a sinistral because it's such a lovely word.

At school, I had a teacher who could write a sentence in English (or Polish, because he was Polish) while simultaneously writing a different sentence in Latin with the other hand.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

I can write whole words (or sentences) in backwards cursive -- so that when you hold it to a mirror, it looks like regular and legible cursive. I also write like I went to Catholic school. I didn't, but my mom did. I'd sit and copy her writing hours -- over and over and over -- until it looked just like hers.

Write , type and eat left handed, .....but use right hand for mouse , any other uk English school kids had to purchase left handed Italic pens,? such a pain

I am same - write and eat left-handed.

How does one type left handed? Do you mean pecking and typing by sight?

I use all fingers at the same time and I've noticed that 100% of the time, it is my right thumb that hits the space bar.

Definitely right hand mouse. Left feels sooo awkward and out of control.

@BlueWave only use left hand to type

I wax left handed . A stroke left it too weak to be really of much use . I even have to drive an automatic now !

Write left handed, shoot ambidextrous, bat ambidextrous, catch ambidextrous.

I struggle to do much with either hand.

Mainly left, but there are a couple things I can only do with my right.

Jsxwi Level 4 Feb 24, 2018

Being left handed I would have struggled if I was made to write with my right hand, however, I can use my right hand to use scissors, racquet games I can use both hands. Im not sure if my lack of sense of direction when driving is due to being a leftie lol!

Definitely left-handed, which seems to be outside of the norm...

Not by much. Now that lefties are generally not being forced to be right handed, it is more and more common. (No, @El-loco, no stats needed. 😉 )

[bbc.co.uk]

Or you could get a statistician in.

Or maybe just join in and answer. 😉 Left or right, @El-Loco?

@bluewave left handed ffs

Left handed............yesssssssssssssss

I believe all geniuses are left handed !

@MarcIveson ¡But of course! LOL

Way to go Leonardo

Sinister

This comes up at every large family dinner.

Three left-handed siblings and I'm right handed. However have some use of my left due to - three left-handed older siblings. Oh and having to immobilize my right shoulder more than once.

And if you don't have a mix like that in your family - the reason you ask is so you don't end up wrecking your elbow eating. The offspring are mixed too. lol

Both my parents were right-handed and neither remembered being converted to right handedness.

My father was a leftie, I was one as a child, and all 3 of my biological grandsons are lefties.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.