Agnostic.com

36 5

How should Jediism be considered in terms of religion/spirituality?

For my claimed religion, my introduction to it started out as purely interest because of my love for the Star Wars movies. However, as I’ve looked into it, I’ve decided that it suits me better than the Christianity that I was raised on.
But it leaves me wondering, because we don’t have a named deity (unless you consider a personality-less energy called “the force” to be a name/deity), we don’t have majorly recognized holidays, we have a relatively small following; however, we do have creeds, rules and set morals. We also allow the mixing of other spiritual practices, and we encourage other Jedi to be open minded about spirituality.
So would we be atheists, agnostics, or theists?

ErnestoVG 3 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

IDGAF, just happy I could fuck with religious people in the military and put JEDI on my dog tags.

Cross Taoism with a heavy dose of Zen Buddhism and Pantheism, and you get Jediism.

I guess that makes me a Vulcanite, Spock's reasoning was always impeccable.

When I was a TA in cultural anthropology, in an Anthropology of Religion undergraduate class I had a student write an essay about how she grew up in an utterly irreligious houshold (and by irreligious, I don't be agnostic, and certainly not athiest, religious and spiritual matters were just not addressed in her family). The closest thing to a creed was the Star Wars ethos. For some people "Jedi" is, indeed, at least very close to a religion. But I also believe that for many Jedi there is an element of the facetious in their "belief". Others are probably really serious about it.

Of the great religions, I would say Jedism would be closest to Buddhism, in that Jeddism is a religious philosophy (or rather, partially formed "philosophy" based on a partial literary ethos.) In some way this is a blessing, Jedism is obviously based on epic fiction. All but the demented know it is not really real. On the other hand the literary ethos Jedi is based on was not meant to be a religious text. Jedi's source material is relatively simplistic as literature, and disturbingly violent and simplistically dualist.

I think the Vulcan religion is more logical. It is also inspired by a mix of Eastern spiritual practices and stoicism, and has its share of woo, but at the core of that religion is logic. I think most humans, myself included, could benefit from studying logic.

Your kidding right?

You mean actually practicing Jedi-ism without metachloriates? No actual spoon bending? What's left is just a code of behavior. So I humbly suggest that this is close to Confucianism.

A distraction but amusing.

The Dude abides.

As some have mentioned, there's a lot of parallels between Jediism and Buddhism, et al. George Lucas was actually drawn to Eastern religions before writing Star Wars and incorporated those beliefs in the story: [beliefnet.com]

It's just as fictional as all the others, so why not?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28813
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.