Agnostic.com

27 23

Oopsie Daisy

Have you ever discovered you sang the lyrics to a song incorrectly, yet sure that you had them right?

I used to get a little nervous when my kids were little and “Smoke two joints” by Sublime would come on the radio..

Then I heard my son sing that song in his own way..

“I spoke to Joyce in the morning, I spoke to Joyce at night..”

Sigh of relief 🙂

There was a used car dealership commercial whose jingle I had wrong, and my sister never let me live it down..

The jingle lyrics were, “If you wanna buy a car, go see Cal

I sang “If you wanna buy a car, pussycow

Yeah.. pussycow seemed legit to my 5 year old mind.

AMGT 8 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Until very recently I thought a line in Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” was And no mustache gonna bend any clipper. The correct version being And no message could have been any clearer.

Was that Cal Worthington and his dog Spot? He confused the shit out of me. I had just arrived from Germany, but could not figure out his commericials. Thankd for the memory!

@AMGT You have to post a link!

@AMGT It's 'Pussycow" there is no way it's not!

@AMGT I had to go back to the OP to find the right words - listened again and went "pussycow". You are right! 😉 However it's good to have things to torment our siblings with especially if it's funny.

Right up there with my cousin bringing up a box of feminine pads from my Grandmother's basement because she asked him to get "napkins". Yes I do torment him.

This isn't a song but onceI saw a picture of a billboard once that read :YOU CAN'T BEAT WAGNER'S MEAT!

@RavenCT ROFL!

@AMGT that Is definetly Pussycow...Lolololol

@RavenCT Cal Worthington was a hoot in 1972 and Cheech&Chong made fun of him back then on their album

That had to be awesome!

"Build Me Up Buttercup" by Mike d'Abo and Tony Macaulay was released by The Foundations in 1968. Here's the chorus of that song:

"Why do you build me up (build me up) Buttercup, baby,
"Just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around,
"And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby,
"When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still,
"I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin',
"You know that I have from the start,
"So build me up (build me up) Buttercup, don't break my heart."

So why is it that for years I heard that third line as,

"And then worst of all (worst of all) Neanderthal baby
"When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still..."?

It was years before I realized there wasn't anyone known as "the Dunder Chief" ("dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap).

Also, this guy has some funny observations:

A couple of those were so exactly what he said I couldn't even guess what the "real lyrics" were.

I want more!

Steve Miller's 'The Joker' : "Cause I speak of the pompitous of love" WTF?

Miller explains his 'nonsense' lyric:

@Highway-Starr I'm so glad you put that in this thread! Thank you.

check this out: [definitions.net].

Huey Lewis and the News I Need a New Drug for years I thought he said Truck

Is it the same as the Toyes song? I think so, but lyrics can change. Misinterpreted lyrics have been happening like forever man. Metallica had to request lyrics for Green Hell remake from Glenn Danzig. The first line is “here in this place lies the genie of death” which sounds similar to ‘key to your death’. Graves ‘work’ with the Misfits was screwed up, claiming that “the maggots in the eye of love won’t copulate” when we all know damn well that maggots won’t copulate in iron lungs. Pshh ‘eye of love’. Did the dude even try? And what’s up with Robert Plant? Lol
On a lighter note, I used to think that Old Navy was called Old Lady. This was especially reinforced by the old lady with the lame glasses in the stupid old commercials.

I think I remember the Toyes version in the eighties when Dr. Demento played it on his radio show.

My SIL - singing for all she was worth in the backseat - "Ooh your giving me the finger tonight...." - my brother and I - "Ooh you're giving me the fever tonight.....".

I can still see her.

@AMGT She's so sweet it was just hysterical. My brother and I looked at each other first like "WTH?". Poor Anne! 😉

I'll just leave this here.

Another from the same song -- to me it sounds like "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night". Is that correct or what? 🙂

Never mind -- I looked it up on AZ lyrics and it said "revved up like a deuce" 🙂 Still sounds like "douche" to me though 🙂

@MST3K me too and always think wtf

I may have only ever gotten the chorus right with this one. (So bad).

And now I'm going to look up "Deuce" because I just know the meaning I'm thinking of isn't the correct one.

@MST3K me too.

I always thought it "Dressed up like douche"..bwaahaaa

I'm a professional musician and it happens to bands all the time. Even though we do mostly original material on occasion we get lyrics wrong on cover tunes. Do you ever like your version better?

@AMGT Solid Gold! I can almost see the video.

[en.wikipedia.org] I have both the books that were published with these - they're are particularly funny when you hit one where you go "Well isn't that the right lyric?" - and then see what you missed. (I believe Elton John holds the record for these).

My favorite is Peter Gabriel's "Games without Frontiers"

Hearing "Jeux sans frontieres" as "She's so popular". I took French for 8 years - my parents spoke French as a first language - and I still just think the singers got the pronunciation WRONG.

Any French speakers out there who can confirm they screwed up? 😉

Minute 16:16 proves my theory - it is utterly mispronounced on the Original Cut! Now the question is - which way to sing along to it? Sigh....

I think one of the late nite guys had that as a skit for awhile.. ?

I'm sure there are many lyrics that I have garbled. One I remember though that was someone else still entertains me.There was a bartender in a neighborhood bar I used to frequent who loved to sing along with the jukebox. Whenever she sang along to the Creedence Clearwater Revival's Bad Moon Rising, instead of singing "there's a bad moon on the rise," she would sing it as "there's a bathroom on the right." Whenever I had a little spare change, I would always take it to the jukebox and play that song. Her enthusiasm about finding a bathroom on the right always cheered me up.

Those are two new ones! My strangest was the Stone's Star, Star (Starfucker). I thought the chorus was "Door Funky" though in my defense it was the garbled radio version without the offending obscenity.

[psychologytoday.com]

You should definitely create a Mondegreens group!

You definitely need to check out this website [kissthisguy.com] The site is dedicated to people confessing their mis-heard song lyrics. Some of them are insanely funny...I've wasted hours there at a time!

Bwahaha! Yeah, pre Google I made a ton of faux pas. LOUDLY too! Thank goodness I can't remember them and nobody recorded them.

I thank the world for not inventing cell phone cameras before I got control of myself (sort of). 😉

I was just reminded of one time someone did record me that I forgot about: several of us left a bar after closing and went to the band's house, maybe '84 when most partiers had little white powdery circles around each nostril. Three of us were singing (completely drunkenly) to Marshall Tucker's 'Searching For A Rainbow' and a band member had a recorder running. It was just as horrendous as you might imagine. My asshole best friend sprung it on me at my following birthday. There was no where to hide, and I was looking! Thanks, pal......

One of the most well-known misheard lyrics is "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" (correct is "'Scuse me while I kiss the sky" from the Jimi Hendrix songs "Purple Haze". There were actually a couple of books with many examples of misheard lyrics.

The other book is "When a Man Loves a Walnut". Correct: "When a Man Love a Woman".

There was a really hot girl I was sleeping with that thought the lyrics to 'Black' by Pearl Jam were, "Her legs spread out before me As her body once did." That song would get her super turned on and she would fuck me sideways anytime she heard it. Needless to say, when I found out it was "Were laid" I never said a word.

My ex husband thought that the song Nothingman by Pearl Jam was Nothing Ham...He would belt out that tune about no pork. Wtf?! I feel like we’ve got a great band name here...Pussycow Nothing Ham????

Hi Boo????

I get lyrics wrong all the time, sometimes by design sometimes by goof and sometimes because I don't bloody hell know what the lyrics are. But mostly I tend to just mumble through the lyrics I'm not sure of. My daughter seems to be the same but her song choices has diverted from the music I play. It was always fun when she got something completely wrong because I never knew what she was going to say and now I just don't know. These kids and their damn music, they're all going to hell and taking us with. Thank god I got to miss out on Justin Beaver (yes, I said beaver so shut up) and Britney Spears and my daughter doesn't seem to go for the schlock songs, so far her choice in music isn't too bad but she is only 9.

LOL

Worthington, Cal Worthington.

I like it when the words are written with the song. I have a hard time hearing the words.

I need to meet Joyce.
Audioslave:. "Sell your house along the way."
(inside your house I long to be)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.