Agnostic.com

26 3

How far is close enough to travel to be with someone?

This may be a silly question to ask, because it's been so long since I've considered the possibility and I'm afraid of sounding naive. I met someone where it may be turning into a relationship, and the fact that we live about an hour and a half away from each other is something that I fear could be a challenge. How far would you travel or have you travelled to be with someone you were involved with, how often would you travel and for how long could you continue? We have other limitations regarding time, money, location, and convenience. I really do like this man and would like to see where this goes, and it's been a a long time since I've felt this good about someone in my life.

bleurowz 8 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in the UK and went to Peru to be with someone- it didn't last sadly - would i do it again - oh yes
also had relationship with someone in South africa - writing letters to each other daily that only lasted a couple of weeks of me getting there - ended up staying for over a year - Helped set up a print shop at Vits uni in Jo'burg , learnt to build a rondavel in kwazulu, got a job at a rock festival
met some nice people - clouds and silver linings

I was willing to travel 10 hours to try to rekindle a long time friendship. Then I realized he hasn't changed at all. With that said, I think it would depend on the people involved. If you have a close connection distance will not matter as much.

An hour and a half is really nothing at all. My wife and I were about a 4 hour drive from each other when we were dating. That's why you have email, text, phones, etc.

An hour and a half isn't much! I know two couples who lived on different continents when they met: in one case the UK and the USA, in the other the UK and Argentina - that's a long way, but they hit it off and now they're married (the UK/USA couple for 30 years).

If you both feel the same optimism, do whatever it takes even if you can only be together for a few days every month or so - if you don't give it as go, you might be throwing away many years of happiness in the future. 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

Keep in touch thru devices, meet halfway sometimes, take turns driving other times....an hour & a half really is no distance at all!

I've gone 4 hours but would go farther if there was a connection. Especially now that I'm retired and could stay in a hotel a few days or more.

How much time do you have to invest in this relationship. If time and money prohibit contact Well not feasible but an hour and a half with good music and the knowledge at the end of the drive Voila`. We let them. . . Tell us . . Long distance relationships don't work Baloney It will encourage honesty and true dialogue with each other. If you don't hurry things . . Savor

EvaV Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

We are going slowly and so far I'm happy with where we are at.

Would be nice to be able to meet someone only an hour and a half away.

Get there in your mind, exercise your mind, have a cigarette and your are already home

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

Only an hour and a half sounds pretty sweet to me! If only...🙂

if you really love someone distance does not matter

I live in one of those middle of no where places. (Seriously, #1 on the list) Anyway, that's really not all that far to drive.

I saw a guy that lived a little over 2 hours away for awhile. I'd drive up on Friday after work and leave early Sunday morning. He always paid for half the gas. I'd go see him every 2 or 3 weeks.

Mmmm It depends on what is going on in my life.At this time I'm up for lots of frolicking and fun so it would depend on our enjoyment of each other and combustion

EvaV Level 7 June 20, 2018

I see a distance of one and a half hours perfectly ok to be honest.

So one of my close family members has being speaking to someone on a dating site from the Caribbean for 3 months and thinks she is in love. He has now come over to the UK 3 days ago and she seems to be funding him also. I am very worried about this as he also lived in the USA and then went back to the small Island and he is now living with her here indefinately. Thoughts on this will be appreciated as I can only see negative.

What's holding you back?

Both of us aren't sure where it's going right now. Still in the beginning stages.

Very easy answer for me, a man, When I was a wee bit younger, like early twenties, I would travel over an hour if I knew there was petting involved, Later on when that was already learned, I traveled less and less and now in my sixties, I am on a dating site and 15 minutes road time is it.

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

It's really good to hear that you've found someone with whom there may be potential, even if there are hurdles to overcome. I live on an Island so someone somewhere that doesn't involve a boat would be really handy 🙂

Thank you all. I feel like I'm in good company, and feeling so much better about this. And there's no problem with staying over if it got to that point. 🙂

I drive that same amount of time to be with my grandkids who are in the next state north of me. I go up a lot, so to me, it doesn't seem like a long drive. However, when I do go up, I stay over, so I am not sure I would go up as much if I had to turn around and drive back. If you both care a lot about each other that drive is nothing and I am sure you both could find a way to make it work. Good luck.

That is a question for yourself. Is the travel time worth it? I've traveled cross country for what I thought was love; 90 minutes is cross town in a big city.

What are you REALLY afraid of?

Ruzho Level 3 Feb 25, 2018

You have to start somewhere. What is time after all?

My limit is a 2 hour drive but I have made exceptions.

Never give up an opportunity. I was in the same boat as you but still travelled 4 hours. its obviously not ideal but what are you going to do?

I began an online relationship with two women, almost in the same week, nearly four years ago. One was just about as far away as your example and the other was about an hour out from that. On account of my six day a week schedule and navigation making me a wreck, They both came to me. It was a definite strain on their time and resources and all our emotions when and after it was time to go. As we had met on FB, it was easy to maintain contact which made the strain less.
We were each prepared for not feeling just the same about each other as we had online. That it was different, was definitely true. That it became even greater and deeper was our experience. Our first meetings were after several months online with many deep and intimate conversations. But there would have and could have been no substitute for actual meeting. Of this, We were and are quite certain.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.