Agnostic.com

25 4

Do you in some way feel superior to those who are religious or have you remained humble?

PaganMomma 4 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not superior but certainly more enlightened and knowledgeable, at least concerning reality.

I tend to feel sorry for them. With so much to learn about our world they are trying to live with blinders on.

I don't think about it at all. As far as I am concerned, people can have faith in bus stop signs. If it helps them, so be it.

No. They often assert their superiority on me 😀. I just want to be equals and they're like "Jesus is the ONLY way.

Big agreement here

Nope. The only person I feel superior to is the person I was yesterday.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

Indeed.

I feel that we are all looking for something, so who am I to judge

"As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Starfleet personnel, Federation citizen and/or representative may interfere with the normal and healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes introducing superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Starfleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship/installation, unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation." United Federation of Planets Starfleet General Order 1 aka The Prime Directive

Don't feel superior. I do wonder, however, how people can buy into any religious hocus pocus. I suppose if people didn't, P.T. Barnum would have been a total failure.

No, I do not feel superior. What a person believes or doesn't is their choice. Everyone has the right to come to their own conclusions.

Betty Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

no one is superior or inferior to another - we have a different understanding of things - if they choose to believe in a fiction ......

This is a good question. In the short time I've been on this site, I've seen some great philosophies, and what appear to be some great people, but I've also seen some whopping cases of superiority complex. I find it interesting that some people on here talk about how much they hate the prejudice and certainty of believers, when they do the same thing--and then say it's different because they're right and the believers are wrong. I think tolerance for all beliefs and viewpoints would help this world a great deal.

marga Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

Let me be frank, I have to say yes, but with a cravat. I'm not worth more, because of this, I just feel I'm more open minded, more so, particularly, than those "believers" who "quote the book to prove the book".

I like the current Dali Lama (sic?) who is quoted as replying to the question, " Would you ever change your belief system? " with this "Yes. If someone would show me evidence to the contrary... etc."

Btw, Buddhism wasn't begun as a religion, per se, but as a guidance. Still, some people feel they NEED to be told what to do. And how to think.

@PaganMomma I'm so glad we met.

No. Theists have their weaknesses; I have mine.

don't feel superior

No I don’t have a problem with someone who believes in something. It may well be what they need to get by. Sure nobody likes the ones looking for an argument or trying to convert you. I just think of so many From when I was working in mental health that were just hanging on by a thread. In some cases it may have been all they had to hold to. We’re all a little crazy, I tend to like astrology and fortune cookies.

One of my favorite interactions from Captain Fantastic is also a teaching moment:
Ben : We don't make fun of people.
Vespyr : Except Christians.

I try to teach my kids (and remind myself) not to fall into the trap of looking down on religious people. I tell them that feeling superior is unnecessary because life isn’t a competition on that level...but I have to admit it’s a struggle.

Maybe in a way with some of my viewpoints towards religion, but it's not some outright smug superiority. I do feel that I have a better set and foundation of moral principals that that of religious people as I don't have one creed to simply fall back on to justify every action. Though I know that can be an unfair viewpoint because there are many people of faith that can still be rational about their morals and toss away the more questionable aspect of their religions moral outlook. Though that just leads me to wonder as to why follow your religion at all if you're gonna treat it like a cafeteria line?

I do pity religious people though, being roped in and misguided by an ideology that has a terrible habit of turning toxic if the conditions are right. Buying into things that can be demonstrably proven false or have yet to be proven. Adults shouldn't be playing make believe, and it's sad to see the indoctrination be passed on time and time again.

As harsh as I am towards religion, I am willing to discuss with religious people their beliefs in a well mannered way so be it they are willing to do the same. You may not be able to get them to drop their beliefs right there and then, but you might also be lucky in planting the seed that will have to reassess their viewpoints like any enlightened and rational person should do in ANY subject when presenting with new or conflicting information.

Doesn’t this seem a lot like the mindset of those feeling and expressing religion.

I've known some wonderful people who are religious. I have known more who were absolutely horrible human beings. If a religious person spouts off with some seriously stupid shit I do feel superior.

Many of the horrible ones were horrible before they got religious, so they probably would have been regardless, but some used religion to justify their heinous world view. @PaganMomma

Totally lucky not having been indoctrinated !

A little of both. I took a long time to leave religion and it took reading several spiritual and scientific books, and now I know that I’m more educated than the average Christian. I truly feel bad for them. By accepting one narrow view of reality they have deprived themselves of years of beautiful awe and wonder, meditation and curiosity, bizarre spirituality and the awe of the cosmos. Religion is like driving a beat up dodge neon from the 90s and thinking you’re in a Mercedes.

No. Just more aware of the physical and internal reality. The interplay of these two influences the emotional and intellectual processes, especially when it comes to the 'sky daddy.'
Religionists of all stripes are so narrowly focused on a non provable and un-proven supernatural entity that you'd almost think they're obsessively anal retentive on that subject, as well as in general in their respective lives.
It takes a intellectually lazy and emotionally shallow individual to wholly accept the supernatural 'explanations,' that religions offer.

I guess it would depend on how you define "superior".

MarqG Level 5 Feb 26, 2018

wrings hands like Uriah Heep - Most decidedly 'umble your honour

I’m humble until they start with the “Moses said ~ therefore you must...” crap.

I do believe they are less than because they do not use any adult reasoning. It may be wrong, but I believe they know better but aren't going to admit it perhaps even to themselves.

I do feel more in touch with the truth, but I don't rub it in.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28886
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.