Agnostic.com

92 7

How do you respond when people say they will pray for you?

Vikay 4 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

92 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they're trying to be kind then I just say thank you.

If they're trying to be condescending or give a backhanded insult (usually about my lifestyle) then I tell them that unless they're without sin themselves they shouldn't be casting any stones so they can shove their prayers up their ass. 😀

I think it's in Saudi Arabia where they have this punishment "stoning to death" for marital infidelity and sexual offense

I usually thank them, but make sure they understand I do not believe in prayers, especially in someone else praying for me. As for praying in general, I tend to believe that, if kept private, it leads to self-inspection, self-encouragement, and a personal mantra that helps people (of all religions) regain their selfonfidence and do achieve their personal goals.

If they're being rude, I tell them no thank you. If not, I just let it go. If they believe that their prayers will help, and they care enough about me to do the thing they think will help the most, it's kind of nice. My thinking it's BS is almost beside the point...

Tell them to f#@k off,it is a wicked thing to say to someone.as if you are evil for not believing in a supernatural dictator that can't be justified or proven,ask them to leave you out of conversations with imaginary friends

let's live in peace and harmony with the whole world

hi how are you god bless you

what?

I'd say "thank you" in a polite manner and with a smile

Maybe is better to tell them , pray for your self.

It creeps me out. lol

I also feel like telling them -- they're usually Christians -- that it's contrary to the teachings of Jesus. It's about vanity, but they don't seem to care about that commandment.

You must enjoy talking to yourself. I've heard that psychologists can be good listeners...

1. If praying helped anyone, no one would need anyone else to pray...
  2. Don't waste your time...
  3. I'll let you know if, if your prayer helped..(then never let them know.)
  4. Please don't.

Of course, most of the time, I don't respond, and hope they go away....

I say to them how selfish they are -------- prayer has no property than to make the praying person feel good about themselves ......... It is the same as yoga ., tai chi, meditation , relaxation therapy etc ........... It has no other use !!!!

"Thanks."

They mean well in their own way. ?‍♀️ I have bigger fish to fry than a well meaning sentiment. Unless they mean in a "for your heathen soul" sort of way, then I might have more to say. Or not. I generally have better things to do than spar windmills.

Most people who say this don't mean it, it is just a place filler for "sorry your hurting" or some such. I am still a closet atheist for the most part so I just say thanks.

If it makes them feel better, have at it! As long as they are not requesting I chant along.

That’s cool

I just thank them and change the subject. All are entitled to believe as they wish.

I say thanks. I never turn down positive thoughts.

Usually just smile. If it's a close friend who knows my views, I may make a joke back.

I think that response was from Christopher Hitchens.

I just smile and move on. And when people ask me to pray for them, I just say I'm an Atheist but I'll keep them in my thoughts and wish them well.

I thank them. Prayer has a net benefit. It doesn't do squat for those being prayed about, but it makes the one doing the praying feel good. So, on aggregate, mankind benefits from somebody praying.

Others also feel better as they are being valued and helped.

Well, valued yes. That in itself may help the prayed for feel better. It's always nice to know someone cares. I don't believe that prayer will change an outcome if there is no other variable involved.

Couldn't hurt.

I always say,"Thank for caring enough to do the very least. BTW since you're going to be on your knees any way could you do something that will make me feel better."

Depending on the circumstance, I thank them or simply don't respond, if the situation allows. If it's disdain, superiority, "praying for my soul", I'll likely smile, maybe chuckle, and walk away. If they press the issue I'm not above debating with them. If it's simply a believer expressing support or concern, I'll thank them. I may not believe as they do, but I can appreciate well-meant sentiment

Go right ahead. I can use alk the help I can get.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.