Agnostic.com

92 7

How do you respond when people say they will pray for you?

Vikay 4 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

92 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say: "Do not pray for me. Instead, pray for the children like Gabriel Fernandez who was beaten, abused, and killed by his parents, had no one to help him, or stand by him in his last days..." They usually shut up after that. If not, I tell them to pray for themselves instead....HAHAHAHAHA. If they continue, I tell them to not pray but do something good in action instead, as Gd said: "these rotten people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me"... HAHAHHAHA

Level 1 Aug 16, 2021

I tell them I'll rub my magic lamp for them.

It depends on the situation. If I am at a Catholic Hospital and a person walks into the room and says they will pray for me I thank them for their time and effort. I tell them I would be happy to pray for them and those they love. Nothing wrong with this situation as it has more to do with respect and being kind. It is not a lie as I was raised Catholic and know what the concept means. I would compare what I am stating to meditation as to their condition, Spending time offering comfort to another person is not a lie or conflicting for me. As it has nothing to do with God just my energy and thought being conveyed to another.

I say thank you. It's the perfect response. If they are praying because they are wanting better for your life it is not wrong to wish good for others they have theirs. Instead if I will pray for you I say you will be in my thoughts.

If they are saying it with a witty bit of sarcasm it's still the perfect response. Like I will pray for you be cause your an atheist. A sarcastic thank you and blessings your heart is still something that gets them every time..

It rather depends. In the south, where I lived most of my life, "I'll pray for you" is quite often an insult. Which is best ignored.

If someone is showing genuine concern, and I don't know them well, I may say "thank you" or "okay, you do that." If it's someone I know well and they don't know, or have forgotten, that I'm a non-believer, I will say, "please don't, it messes with my karma." (just to be clear, I don't believe in "karma" either) You may be surprised at how many people agree to not pray for me when I say that!

I usually try to avoid conversations in which someone may say that to me.

i respond......positive vibes

I say if that makes them feel better go ahead.

I thank them and go on my way. It doesn't bother in the least. I'm not a militant atheist.

Most of the people that I know, know better than to say it but if they did, I would basically say, naw thats ok, don't waste your time. It's not going to change any outcome no matter what it is. Never understood how this praying thing would do any good and why people would think it would change anything..like they have power over someone's life by doing that. Which god is going to hear that particular prayer & will it be in a different language, then how is this invisible being going to grasp what is being said.. oh ya.. the all knowing all whatever.. then why bother praying if thats the case.

That's nice - knock yourself out

I usually say something non-commital like "Oh", or shrug. I'm not going to change their mind. If they are a friend, I will try not to be rude. If they are rude about it, I won't respond at all.

I usually don't say anything. Those words smack of condescension sometimes and I don't like that.

Depends on who say it. To people who knew I don't believed in all that numble-jumble, tell them don't waste their time. To people who don't know, a thank you.

I always say thank you. I know, at least for the most part, these people are being sincere. Why be a jerk, because these fine people happen to have beliefs that differ from mine? To do otherwise wouldn't be Christian. LOL

As a cancer patient people say this to me ALL THE TIME! ugh! In the past I’ve tried to be nice about it and just respond with “thank you” but after a while it started wearing on me so now I just say “okay” and walk away. Usually I’ll put an eye roll in there too for good measure.

usually just say thank you.. and move on.. as with the bible, and any other religious elements, I take the best of intention of it, and ignore the rest. Now if they are foolish enough to try to convert me.. or ask me what I beliefs are.. that's a different story.

I heard a atheist/humanist (i don't recall what he considered himself). speaker on radio once say that when people would say that to him, he'd reply something like "Okay, thank you. And I'll think for you."

"Thank you. I appreciate your intention" and move on from there

I'll usually say thanks and let it go. Not always but most of the time. As with everything it depends

I thank them for their well wishes, it would be rude to chastise someone for expressing care for me. Now if they offer to pray for my soul that is an entirely different situation, that does not mean me well at all it is in fact criticism of my action or myself and they can expect to be rebuked for their rudeness.

If in public, I would not make an issue of it. But in private, I would just say you are not religious but very grateful for their concern and empathy.

I just consider it an act of compassion and thank them. There may be some situations where I would protest, but I’m not sure what that would be at the moment.

I'll reason for you. The real miracles come by the thousands every year down the street at the Hospital.

Usually with a snicker and a shake of my head as I walk away. A few times I said "Don't go to any trouble." Most then said something along the line of "Oh it's no trouble." I'll follow with an emphatic "I know! Why don't you actually do something?" At that point I'd be willing to bet the prayer changed dramatically.

I don't say anything. It makes me a bit uncomfortable but I know that is a common reaction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.