Agnostic.com

92 7

How do you respond when people say they will pray for you?

Vikay 4 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

92 comments (76 - 92)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My response varies depending on the person and or situation. I have to admit it comes across as condescending. Most of the times, I say "You know I am not superstitious, right?" This will bait them into an argument in which I will remind them that there are over 500 million people on this earth who go hungry everyday and their god doesn't give a ...

I usually say thank you. An leave it at that. Most do it it feel better. Sam with god bless you. I usually say you to.

Yes you can pray for a BILLION DOLLARS!

I just say, "Sure, OK!" I believe these are people that don't know what else to say. They have been indoctrinated so much, that they don't know how to say, "I wish you well!!!"

I really hate when I hear this. It doesn't help at all.

Thanks for the thought, but if you REALLY want to help, try this...

bls63 Level 2 Oct 19, 2017

If I am ill or going through hard times then I definitely appreciate the thought. But if I say I support LGBT rights and I get the "pray" response I tend to be a little more savage with my response. Depends on what the gesture implies.

I tell them they can pray all they want but praying to their imaginary sky daddy isn't going to do anything and I didn't need no help from a non-existent being. That is if they are being rude or smartasses about it or something. Like "Oh, you are such a troubled person for thinking this. I will pray for you". But if an argument didn't occur for them to say that, and they are saying it to be nice because something bad happens, I'll either say it's not needed but thanks, or just say thanks.

"Sky daddy"? lol. Haven't heard that one before.

My most genuine response is a HUGE eyeroll. However, sometimes the person is not someone I would offend. In those cases I meekly thank them and change the topic.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

I usually respond with a smile and a thankyou

Politely say thank you.

I also express appreciation for their concern.

Me: How much will that cost?
Them: Nothing
Me: So how's your whole Friday looking?

I usually say thanks but have told somebody to pray for themselves and not me.

Depending on the context. Sometimes a a random unknowing person says itand I agree. However when others who know I'm not religious do it I take it out spite and usually my backlash is fairly violative.

Sometimes people just say it out of habit, without even giving it a thought. Just like we say 'thank you' and no further thought is given. But, I am still annoyed inside wishing they would just get real with me when reality is actually needed.

Depends on the person....some people say it and they are overall harmless, so maybe thank them?

But some ppl do it trying to get a reaction out of me....then, we shall see 😀

Yeah I just say thank you. and keep it moving.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.