Agnostic.com

27 3

Does anyone else believe in reincarnation?

I consider myself an atheist but believe in reincarnation because I have seen it with my own eyes and have researched countless documentations and proof of reincarnation. There are actual real unexplained accounts from many people over the years that prove reincarnation is a reality.

Ravenwolfcasey 7 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only "reincarnation" I accept is that our atoms and energy continue on, in different forms, when we die and decompose. And this energy that once gave me life, and form, goes on to allow other life to exist. As far as any survival of the consciousness--I see no reason to think this happens.

LIKE!

Amen.

Sometimes, I do. I certainly don't rule it out.

Though this brings to mind a cute line I heard awhile back :

"reintarnation - when you come back as a hillbilly " : )

When my daughter had just turned two we were in the living room together. She was quietly playing while I read a travel book on Hungary. As I was looking at a map a name jumped out at me and I repeated it a few times. Enjoying the sound and rhythm of it. Transdanubia. My daughter started repeating it too. She toddled over to me and said, "See Mommy". As I showed her on the map she said, "Been there." She kept insisting she had been there. I asked her if I had been there too. She shook her head and said, "No. Aunt NeNe my Mommy". Indicating my sister was her Mommy there. I asked her what she did there with her Aunt. She simply said, "Help with pigs."
As soon as I had the chance I looked Transdanubia up on the internet. The first article that came up mentioned it was a district of pig farms! To top it off the ONLY meat my daughter would eat at that time was pork. She had no interest in pigs and did not yet know that her favorite meat came from pigs.
This experience, as well as some of my own, has caused me to give the possibility of reincarnation some serious consideration.
Those of you who are 100% sure it is not real I really would love to hear theories, besides a child's imagination, of other explanations for this experience. Thank you.

Thank you so much for your experience..I was sure I couldn't be the only one...

Yeah kids have great imaginations. So does JK Rowling have to have been to Hogwarts to describe it then???
Sorry but individual stories of confused young kids means nuthin.

I prescribe some Derren Brown for you too. Perhaps he can show you how you were actually putting stuff into the kid's head without realising

That's pretty strange. Did you ask her aunt Nene about the experience? I believe that it's possible . I've heard other fascinating stories like this.

My wife and I were at a Bar-B-Que with friends at Hout Bay Western Cape, It was our Anthropological Society get together. As dusk fell our daughter who was just 18 months began to gabble. She became very agitated as the evening shadows lengthened. She was standing on a chair holding the back and pointing to the trees. A friend there went quite pale and said that what our daughter was speaking was a north American native language similar to Magwar or some tribe I had never heard of. This person had been a teacher in Canada for many years so he was familiar with the Indian languages. We dismissed this as his imagination but another friend intimated that it could be a reincarnated spirit.

shrugs Could be a thing. I don't particularly care either way and it seems silly to worry about it, since if it were a thing, you wouldn't remember this life, anyways. Kind of brings to mind the question of how much of our "usness" is related to our memories. If I got mind-wiped by aliens tomorrow, would I still be me? Same with reincarnation - if I die and reincarnate but remember nothing and grow up all over again in a different situation, would I still be the same person, even?

You've answered all your questions excellently.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - the replicant Roy Batty from "Blade Runner."

I think you have nicely identified the impetus for the fantasy that is reincarnation - people just cannot comprehend the logos of 'not being me' - even after death. It's natural I guess, since our entire experience of the universe is through the prism of our own individual consciousness and so we simply cannot imagine experiencing reality in any other way. Hence we invent God or reincarnation because we cannot deal with the idea of our own death.

Eliza Marie have you had children? If you do you must observe the child when he/she reaches about 6 months when the child suddenly realises he/she has a body and looks at his/her hands with wonder. At the age of 7 months a female or 9 months a male become an individual. If they could communicate at this age they would tell you of their past life.

Sure, a lot of people believe in that. I'm not one of them.

Ravewolfcasey, if you have experienced it with your own eyes, don't mind what others say here. There is plenty of scientific research on this subject but remember to some, "no proof is possible". Reincarnation is no longer my area of interest but have you read these three books? I read them years ago can recommend them:

Many Lives Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss
[amazon.com]

Life after Life by Dr. Raymond Moody
[amazon.com]

Life before Life by Dr. Jim Tucker
[amazon.com]

I own all those books..actually

Ravenwolfcasey, glad to know you have those books already.

AGMT, thanks for the link to the skepdic.com entry but I’m actually very skeptical about that page itself. Yes, reincarnation can be deemed a “false idea” and “uneducated perception” by you and others, by not by many people like me who have inquisitive minds that see this as a valid subject to read about and research into. The evidence of reincarnation is presented in all three books I’ve listed here but I guess you haven’t read any one of them, have you? No, I do not recommend those books to you. That is a closed door that I do not dare or wish to open. I won’t say reincarnation is a fact that I know with certainty, but one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that I believe the authors of the three books, the three medical doctors who have spent many years investigating and researching the topic, are much more knowledgeable and creditable than you. Therefore, I value the evidence and opinions they shared in those books.

AMGT (sorry for misspelling your username last time):

First, please do not assign the ‘like a theist” label to me. You know that can get me easily targeted at on this agnostic site. That’s not fair. Although I’m not religious, I did read the bible cover to cover a few times. The evidence of case studies and research presented in these books is not comparable to the “proof of god in the bible”. I’ve read many books on the topic and can give an open-minded person a long list, but here I’m going to save my time. The authors I mentioned are unsupported by you it seems, but they are supported by their research, some of their peers and many readers like me. Just read some of the book reviews on Goodreads and Amazon and you’ll know they are not “unsupported”. Most of the evidence provided in these books are anecdotal and there is not scientific proof of reincarnation/after life. There is a reason for that: if there really is an after life, it is not in the physical form and you can’t expect our science that deals with physical world to explain and prove something that is not physical. Even Moody himself acknowledged this:

People who speak of having scientific proof of an afterlife are misguided, he explains. ''The hallmark of a scientifically testable sentence is that it is potentially falsifiable. That means that you have to be able to think of some observation that would prove or show that the sentence is false.'' ''Carl Popper, the philosopher, scientist, thinker, and logician, brought this to our attention early in the twentieth century,'' Dr. Moody says, ''that, strangely, science works by falsifying propositions. When you think of a sentence like, There is a life after death, you have to ask what observation could falsify it? It's really conceptually impossible, as far as I can tell, to think of what that could be. It's too early to bring the question of an afterlife to a scientific test.''

That’s why I didn’t say I know for certain there is reincarnation but I believe the validity of the research that has been done.

With regards to the skepdic entry of Moody, when I read the first word used to describe him “parapsychologist” I started to think it was biased (haha, just like some news sites). The article didn’t mention how he conducted his research in his book I mentioned at all, rather it just focused on some of his later research written in a tone to discredit him. The article ended with a note that the consciousness studies program he led at UNLV was terminated after five years. It’ll probably make some readers think consciousness studies is just nonsense, but there are serious consciousness studies center at various universities. In fact, just a few years ago University of Washington Bothell launched minor in consciousness program, the first of its kind in a public institution in North America.

Thanks for the suggestion of keeping digging. I am and have been. That’s why I have already moved my interest and attention away from topics like reincarnation because there are many more fascinating new things to research and explore.

@AMGT:

I think you mean well and you want me to see the “truth” you see and I thank you for that. But so far you haven't said anything that has convinced me that “it’s all guesswork, conjecture and wishful thinking”.

I think you’ll agree with me the subject of reincarnation/afterlife falls into the non-physical realm, if it does exist. So how do you expect our science, which only deals with the physical world, to provide physical "scientific proof of something that's not experimentally testable? Being able to create/simulate an "afterlife” in a lab? Sending a radio message like we did with interstellar radio messages and getting a response back? Taking a photo/video of that world? I don’t know how you think science can measure something that’s completely out of its scope. Just like the question of "are there other universes out there", scientists haven’t been able to observe any universe outside Hubble volume and provide any observable evidence (and maybe they never will), but it doesn’t mean there are definitely no other universes. In fact the majority of the cosmologists think there are.

When there’s a few or a few dozen pieces of anecdotal evidence, you can call them stories, but when there are thousands and thousands of well documented case studies, it’s both quantitative and qualitative research data. Many young children had past-life memories which had been verified by the researchers to detail (their past family member names, places they lived, etc). There are also many well documented case studies of NDE. When you look at data like that which points you to a direction you don’t’ want to go, the easiest thing you can say is the researcher lied, the people lied, it’s just all coincidences, it’s all hallucination…No, I don't think it’s just lies and coincidences and hallucination, there is a better explanation which is inconvenient for some people to accept. Just like global warming, there’s mounting data (albeit not 100% conclusive) that supports it but some people still would think it’s just a hoax.

Thank you for this discussion but I don't think continuing on will lead us anywhere. You won’t be able to convince me that the argument of reincarnation failed, nor can you assure me it’s just guesswork…When I started the discussion with you, I didn’t have any intention to convince you at all as I knew it would be futile. The reason I responded is because there’s a misconception from some hardcore atheists here that if a person has a different opinion or belief system, that person must be uneducated or lack critical thinking skills. If I hadn’t read those books and case studies and research, I would probably say reincarnation is a nice fantasy. But with all the data presented to me, I know I can't dismiss it as fantasy, heresy, or wishful thinking any more. I won't call it a fact either as I haven't conducted the research myself, nor have I had any past life memories or NDE. But if I had had, I would probably call it true. Moody said "I don't mind saying that after talking with over a thousand people who have had these experiences, and having experienced many times some of the really baffling and unusual features of these experiences, it has given me great confidence that there is a life after death. As a matter of fact, I must confess to you in all honesty, I have absolutely no doubt, on the basis of what my patients have told me, that they did get a glimpse of the beyond." I don't have the confidence to say that for said reasons but I think he reached a most reasonable conclusion based on his research.

By the way I haven't heard of the two names you mentioned but I googled one of them and their stuff sounded suspicious, but I admit I didn't spent much time reading on them. I'm sorry you had bad experience with them and think that might be the reason you shy away any paranormal stuff. I will conclude my discussion with you here but hope we both continue with our reading and research in different areas and learn and grow.

Because 'experiencing things with your own eyes ' naturally trumps the entire sum of human experience and scientific knowledge!?
No wonder we are all so screwed quite frankly!!

You definitely need to watch more Derren Brown!!

No . Once you shuffle off this mortal coil... Your elements return to the universe from whence you came . So , in a way , you never die , not that you,d much about it , but , personally I find that quite awe inspiring and magnificent ?

And that's exactly what I believe. We are all energy on some fundamental level and I like the idea that after death everything that we are goes back into the great melting pot and could come out as atoms of a tree or a dog or a person but that what and who you are now is not replicated.
Just think how awful it would be anyway to be condemned to be the unruly personality that I am now for eternity and beyond!!
These are all just imaginative methods of negating personal responsibility for our own actions in the here and now.

Verifiable evidence, please. In my opinion it is total nonsense, your brain dies you die, no afterlife, no re-dos, just oblivion deal with it.
People make the mistake of thinking that our consciousness is some type of electrical field or exists on a true quantum level whereas it is little more than chemical energy. Being chemical energy once the cells die it is converted to other chemical energy primarily decomposition processes.

Bang on right

I believe that there is a distinct probability that reincarnation exists. There is plenty of talk about it in eastern philosophies.

SamL Level 7 Nov 5, 2017

Where there's smoke, there's, duuuuuuhhhh, helluva of a high feeling floating above the clouds!

Why talk of your beliefs when others would consider it as nonsense?
Why spend trillions to look for the possibility of life outside our planet?
Why spend so much gray matter in the multi-verse and parallel world theories . . . and also the skewed timeline thing?

It is a fact that when we're blasted into smithereens our atoms are recycled into something else. May still be our atoms but it's definitely not 'us" anymore.

I don't know what the odds are that after being scattered all over, our atoms would find themselves and vibrate in the same frequency and gravitate and magnetize to "re-volt" into and form our same selves with the same consciousness, memory and experiences as before. Such a scary, unpleasant and unpalatable prospect to find myself sitting again on top of the fence in my side of the hill with my head spinning round.

Very interesting answer, Sonny, very interesting. And btw, what is the "skewed timeline" thing?

So what? There is plenty of talk about chimeras in eastern philosophy as well! Do they exist ???

There is such a thing as past life progression. Many years ago during an intensive education program, after which time I became an agnostic, my mentors assisted me with a past life progression. I do not know which of my past lives but I vividly remember lying in a hospital ward . I was in terrible pain, I could see rows of cots either side of a very large vaulted room. I even remember the timber ceiling, strips curved with large white pieces of cloth that were waved to and fro to disturb the air. I later made an investigation as to where it could have been, that is when I discovered it was Northern India during the British East India company's occupation under Robert Clive of India in about 1770. Reviewing the many paintings and artifacts in the British museum I was able to recognise things that I had never seen in this life.

Drou Level 3 Nov 5, 2017

Other than in history books, on tv, in museums etc etc. The human subconscious is a sponge mate and you are reverse engineering

i believe in reincarnation because it makes the most sense. Nature is an avid recycler. Not a single atom in the universe is wasted. Everything is used to continue the cycles of birth, death, and rebirth. What makes us so special that we get to just not exist after death? Human arrogance says consciousness is too precious to be recycled, but to the universe, it's just another form of energy.

I agree with this wisdom.. but disagree with considering consciousness a form of energy... consciousnesses is beyond energy... it generates and transforms energy.

Fantastic reply..thank you so much..I knew I couldn't be the only one who felt this way..

All my life I've always wanted to believe in reincarnation but I still have to find proof or evidence or the experience that will "stand in court."

I'm knda confused with your statement here:

"Human arrogance says consciousness is too precious to be recycled, but to the universe, it's just another form of energy."

Is it "arrogance" or "ignorance"? . . . they sound dangerously pretty much the same.

No, not me. To me, it just another form of the false wish of eternal life.

I stay open minded about it, as I do with many things.

Not that is has anything to do with religion but more to do with cultures. Example would be American Indians. They call it shape shifting. Energy travels in mysterious ways. This much I do know.

I have not seen an evidence for it or experienced anything that would make me think reincarnation was real.

Reincarnation is as real as god is.

Yes

It is reality.. what happened after loosing the flesh body and enter the 4th dimension, you miss your habits and beloved ones, you still want more of the physical experience.. therefore the nature laws according to your mind power will drag you to fall again in the Grid, which is an energy system creating physical reality... by this you loose your higher self and become a new sufferer of the lower self.
I must mention that I've got these ideas through experience not only researches or believing of what other's say. Only experience with "crist"-al clear awareness can bring us to the truth.

Really? How is that evidence based? The Flying Spaghetti Monster told me it is a myth.

When you be serious in exploring reality you will follow the scientific method of knowing truth and rebuild reality in accordance to organized mind..... chaos leads to myths..... order leads to true life..... true life is pure consciousness..... no Spaghetti monster, Yahweh or any other temporary God.

Can you define what you mean by this whole "fourth dimension" thing? A lot of people seem to think dimensions are something they're not.

To know what the 4th dimension is, we must learn and practice geometry. Explaining the fourth dimension with few simple words won't work for the curious mind.

@WilliaM8, you sounded like you know this for a fact. Can you tell me how you gained the knowledge? Unlike others here, I'm truly interested

I believe it doesn't matter. I think one should live as if Karma and reincarnation were a possibility, even though I don't actually believe in it. It would make for a better world if people lived as if it were real.

Do good, just for the sake of doing good and making the world a better place. Act as if dong harm will actually come back to you in the end, whether in this or another lifetime. I don't believe it to be so, but I'd prefer to live in a world where prople actually practiced the golden rule of only doing unto other as they woudl have others doing unto them.

It doesn't do that, though. I'm around people who believe in karma often, and most of them just use it as an excuse to blame people for mishaps. Oh, your car died on the highway? MUST BE KARMA stop being negative! That sort of thing. I would look into the history of karma as a concept and how it's been used throughout history. Not a good story...

I do. I've watched shows where people remember a past life. The way they look in their second life also very often looks like they looken in their first life. Also birthmarks are a curiosity. Some belief they may be a mark of how the first person died.

You also seem to be in great need of Derren Brown mate !!

I've talked to people who claim to have met their "reincarnated" selves. I'd tell them, "No, that is not your reincarnated self. That is your other self from a parallel world or another timeline. Your other self must have a very good guidance system and navigational skills to find you."

They continue anyway, saying that their reincarnated selves are slightly ahead in time than their actual selves by a few days. Whoah! so, while picking out my last stick of cigarette from a crumpled pack, I asked in jest, in between puffs, while lighting my cigarette, "Did they tell you tomorrow's lotto results?" And when I looked up, everybody's gone!

Reincarnated selves? Interesting ...could be possible who knows...energy could split...and travel...ever wonder why people have doubles or doppelgangers ....I always have PEOPLE telling they could've sworn they saw me somewhere...or say they have a friend that is my twin...who knows how the universe works...

@Ravenwolfcasey
People have doppelgangers because when you get down to the origin of the species we have a tiny gene pool and are all related. We can from the same seed.
Also have you ever heard a scientific explanation for dejas vu???
There's your 'reincarnated souls' ahead of themselves. The human brain is sorting through literally millions of pieces of info per second and sometimes gets confused by a nano second.
Faulty wiring lol nothing supernatural

@Ravenwolfcasey: Who knows how the universe works? God knows everything! LOL

@OutlawJosie: That's nice! . . . somebody here have posted something about deja vu but was kinda ignored. I'll try to backtrack and look for that post, it was I think sometime in September. Problem here is we don't have a keyword search. I'll just try "to go back in time" he-he!

No.

And it is far from proved.

I have done a lot of research on this and there are many detailed and investigative accounts. As a psychologist (anyone who does hypnosis or regression work) I have done thousands of relaxed regression sessions and when you ask for the root cause people do go back to what they experience as other lifetimes. I had a teenager once that never went to anything in this lifetime and she didn't even know what reincarnation was. I myself have experience such things and could give you experience after experience. I once had my ex do something very thoughtless and traumatic to me and my whole body reacted to this person going out of his way to hurt me. I went into shock. My whole body hurt and it felt like I had been in an accident. What he did was only relayed to me. No one touched me. I was very ill at the time and when I went to the doctor who had been treating me he thought I had been in an accident and said I was in shock. I developed bruises on my face. It looked like someone had beaten the crap out of me. I went to a retreat center and was in the hot tub and for the gazzilionth time someone asked what happened to me when I said this woman said body memory and zap like a flip book I saw a scene of a man beating his wife. It was me and it wasn't him, but I knew it was us. I could give you 100's of examples. I find it interesting that Atheists often seem as sure as religious nuts that certain things they have not experienced can't be true. I get it. I need to experience things myself, but never discount others direct experience. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it isn't true. Psychic/metaphysical phenomena happens....yes people can see things in other dimensions. Usually trauma and blocked emotional pain keep our extrasensory perceptions blocked. Accounts of reincarnation go across all cultures, gender and religious beliefs. Same soul many bodies is a great book by yale psychiatrist Brian Weiss. He was the head of AMA/APA and did not even remotely believe in reincarnation until his famous paten Katherine.

yes but i see it more as an infinite existence within which, if a manifestation is allowed to fulfill its pattern without interruption, we manifest as male male female female

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2909
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.