Agnostic.com

16 3

Need help about women

With my present job I go to many restaurants to pick up food and deliver to customers. I meet a lot of women and have a chance to talk to them while waiting. I have developed a small talk relationship with those that I have interest in however, I reluctant to "cross the line" by asking for something further (phone number, date, etc.) since I don't know what they might say. I don't want to show them that I am interested in them which would make our "working" relationship somewhat awkward for both of us if they turn me down. My question is what suggestions does anyone have on how to handle this without embarrassing either one of us in the process since I will be returning to the restaurant on an ongoing basis. I would love to hear what women in the community have to say too.

jsbach 5 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mention an activity you enjoy, such as concerts, museums, some upcoming local event, and ask the lady if she enjoys it, as well. Perhaps her enthusiasm, or lack thereof, will give you a gauge as to whether to proceed with an invitation to try the activity together.

Deb57 Level 8 Feb 20, 2019

Thank you. I like that idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

Unless you take a chance and inquire, the answer will always be no, and you'll remain wondering.

If embarrassment is the worst thing that can happen - risk some !

Probably the best way to go. I guess I'm hoping for a yes answer but if it's a no then at least I tried and realize there will always be others out there. Thanks.

I work in the service industry (hotel). I flirt, a lot, with everyone. It means nothing except that I want 5 star reviews online and people like being flirted with. I positively abhor being hit on at work (whether by a guest or vendor). Mutual flirting? Fun. Crossing into real life? Creepy. Especially if your only interaction is waiting to pick up an order from them.

Get a facebook page for your service and hand out business cards. If any of these women are interested in you they can message you through FB.

Maybe give them a very small gift, like one flower or a pack of gum or whatever? See how they react. Seems weird to say "they" though--do you want to date all of them at once? Or do you have a favorite?

Carin Level 8 Feb 17, 2019

I only say "they" because I have met several that I like. I'm not interested in dating all of them at once. I would be happy if I got to date just one but if more than one accepted I see no reason not to see more than one at a time. I do like one more than the rest right now but that's only because I don't know enough about each one to know who is really more compatible to each other. Thanks for the gift suggestion.

@jsbach I literally throw everything like that in the trash. Do not give them gifts. It's creepy.

To clarify further I am not trying to fraternize with the person I am delivering to (the customer). The women I like are the workers/ in the restaurant. One for each different place. I have spoken to each for at least a dozen times and have gotten to know them somewhat as they did of me. My job is not on the line only embarrassment on both sides.

You can do some small talk and mention some event you plan on going to without actually inviting them, and if they are into you, they will show up and meet you there, from there it will be much easier to ask for a #

I do have something in interested in going to - ice bumper cars at a local ice rink. That's an excellent idea. Thank you for your suggestion.

My advice is to let them make the first move. I would be fearful of losing my job if things went bad.

That's a nice thought however I don't think that will ever happen in my situation.

@jsbach oh, well good luck! If you continue to make small talk and she seems to be interested go for it!

Everyone here seems to be assuming you're talking about chatting up people you're delivering to, and I did at first, too. But maybe you're talking about chatting up workers in the restaurants themselves.

I would never advise anyone to cross lines with delivery customers but since you're an outside contractor you have a bit more latitude with the people you pick up the food from. @VictoriaNotes probably has the best advice there. Be respectful, courteous, and non-creepy, keep it light, and if the person seems receptive, just say it'd be fun to get together and talk more sometime, and hand them your number, which puts them 100% in the driver's seat. But be VERY restrained.

I have been to one restaurant for a few months and a good rapport with one lady. Unfortunately I was not sent back there for a few weeks but when I was this woman saw me from the kitchen, stopped what she was doing, ran out and came to me wrapping her arms around me giving me a big hug. I was blown away by that and spoke for only a few minutes telling her I'll be back to talk soon. I didn't get an opportunity by my job to go back so after one week I went back in between jobs and saw her, handed her my number and told her to call/text me. She said she would. Its been one week now and I still haven't heard from her yet. Now what? Very confusing.

@jsbach Now what, is you give her space. She has a life, and there may be a lot of reasons she doesn't immediately call. She also may have gotten cold feet. It would be a mistake to take it personally if so.

If you see her again and she's still friendly and open, it's fine to remind her -- once, nicely, in parting -- that she has your number and you'd love if she would call. Make eye contact when you tell her that, and smile warmly. Then leave it to fate.

Women are confusing to us, it goes with the territory. It's part of their, ah, charm. In my experience, getting a big hug doesn't mean much by itself. It might have been a bro-hug. Also being flirtatiously charming doesn't mean much by itself. Some people are very casually demonstrative, by my standards anyway. Some people are just super nice to everyone and it doesn't mean they're signaling romantic interest. But here's hoping that one day, romantic interest is signaled, and you get the signal. If it feels awkward, it's because it is. You're not alone in that.

@mordant Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you for your insight. I will go to the restaurant this week even if my job doesn't send me there just to talk to her and see what she tells me. I won't push but just gently ask if she lost my number or has been busy. Whatever her reason I won't feel bad since I know at least I tried and if she really isn't interested I do have other choices.

This post makes me cringe. They, Them?... How many are you interested in? And you are at work? I say act like a professional at work it's not a place to pick up women, you are supposed to be performing a job, and just because you are interested in "them" does not necessarily translate to they are interested in you. Men have a skewed sense of gaging interest. We women are not one big entity, we are each individual and unique, and like to be made to feel that way...

I always assume there is no interest until they pretty much slap me silly with it. I learned in my twenties, there is no assuming and no guessing with women. I can do that with men most of the time, but never women. I want to know exactly what, where, and when you want whatever it is you want. If you can tell me why, well, that's just the gravy. 🙂

It's because women are smarter than men.

I am an independent contractor so I get to go to many different restaurants each day sometimes more often than other days (I never know when I will return). I have interest in a several women but don't really know how much interest they have in me since we only have small talk when we meet. They are all very happy to see me and tell me they like me over some of the other drivers that show up. I am lucky to be appreciated by them. That's always a good feeling.

Well, that's nice.

After a nice small talk: "Hey, I like you, how about lunch together. No, thanks. Well, I was looking forward to a little more time for conversation. But it's ok, at least we have our nice talks here.

(or something like that) Just be creative and give the other a way out. You will not be embarrassed if you are prepared for refusal.

Gert Level 7 Feb 17, 2019

Tough one. You don't want to risk your job offending a customer...with all best intentions..let them make first move. I think the personal card is a good idea.

Single woman ordering food to her door doesn't want to be hit on. If she did she would've went out for food.

Good point

I never try to "hit" on any women when I deliver their food. I am very respectful to them because if I was in their shoes I know I wouldn't like it. There was one instance way back in the beginning when I first started in August '18 that I should have said something but didn't because I felt she had interest in me when we first met. I've regretted it ever since and now it's too late. I guess I have never learned the fine art of knowing how to pick up women on the spot.

@jsbach Your job does not lend itself to this. I wouldn't even attempt if I were you. They are single and you know where they live. It'll come across as creepy.

@CommonHuman I have not attempted to nor do I intend to try to flirt with any customer that I deliver the food to. I wouldn't feel right doing that. The one time in retrospect many months ago had I been a more forward type I might have tried with that one person but that was the only time.

He who hesitates is lost ... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If there is someone I'm interested in who happens to be one of my work customers, I'll write my personal phone number on my business card and invite them to call or text me any time. I figure if they are interested, they will.

Why not get business cards printed with your name and phone number and pass them out. If she's interested she will call to talk.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:292061
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.