Agnostic.com

53 14

Do you think the religious *really* believe?

Deep down, do you think most religious people really believe what they are peddling? Or, do you think there is a lingering fear or knowledge that they are wrong?

I think people who get "possessed" or the holy rollers that throw themselves onto the ground or those that hear voices... they must know they are acting. Right?

I also hypothesize that the ones most insecure in their beliefs are also the ones that scream it into the hills and wear it on their sleeves. Like, they are looking for confirmation.

These are just my own thoughts on the matter. Yours?

silvereyes 8 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People abuse religion like any other drug, and, like other addicts, will say anything to justify their heavy usage

I think people are people and knowing that there are many possibilities but it's not easy climbing into someone's head.

I do not think you are correct at all...there is great joy in "ecstasy" akin to a really good drug high...enjoyable and addicting. That is why it is Impossible to reason with the most religious among us....like trying to wean a meth head with statistical recitations.

I think some do, some are afraid not to, and some don't but will not admit it for different reasons.

I believe many have varying levels of "faith" (belief without evidence) Some believe, yes. Look at the (insert expletive here) people that blow themselves up so they can make it to the holy lands and receive their virgins. . etc. For those peddling ((faith) belief without evidence) trash as "Truth", Some. Not all. I've run into priests (about half of those I have taken the time to talk to for extended periods of time) that admit their religion is not based on truth.

I don't care what the religious believe.

My take is this: There is much propaganda on their camp on the promise of what to expect in the afterlife. That is religion's main weapon. Sin, Hell, Salvation. Let us take all three right now: Sin cannot exist because we were created by the universe and it does not have a mindset called sin. Hell, is that a planet? Not likely. And Salvation, salvation is born with you and it is created in your mother's womb. You are saved by the time you come out. This is because your destiny is to gain experiences here on Earth (good and bad) so you can share them with the Universal Intelligence when you pass. This is the reason why the flesh must die. This is because we are born with an electromagnetic neuronal soul-pair spirit whose only mission is to record all your experiences so as to deliver our minds to the dark of night and the bright stars. That is the idea of Nacrea, your creator, nature. For the most part, religious folks live a totally confused life. But have little choice because, for them, what's the alternative? Stop believing? Some do, but must remain in doubt even here with us. The only way to change that - and to eliminate our own doubts too - is to show that nature is the god we all seek. That is my mission.

It takes all kinds. There are always people out to take advantage of others, and I expect that there are plenty of them involved in religion. Many people just go with the flow, some are authentic, and some aren't. Just like everything else about humans, really.

That actually sounds pretty reasonable, I guess I never thought about it that hard before. I wonder if that goes along with the overall victim/martyr mentality of most Christians, and the whole "the ineffable is testing me" attitude.

"I think people who get "possessed" or the holy rollers that throw themselves onto the ground or those that hear voices... they must know they are acting. Right?" Not the one's I've known...including my past self.

@silvereyes Yes, I know very well what you're talking about. I couldn't count the number of meetings/services I was in which fairly fringe into that territory, if not outright embrace it.

The line between conscious vs. unwitting choice to fall (not throw per se—at least in the usual meetings I was in) becomes very hard to tease apart in these kinds of settings. You have others falling around you; your emotions are high; you believe it's something absolutely great to experience—indeed a pinnacle of your Christian experience!; you're told that it is something the Spirit does through you; and unlike with watching say Benny Hinn, when it happens to you it's not usually obvious that that was the moment you would go down, so you don't have good reason to feel it was caused by "man".

I can understand how you can't fathom it, I don't blame you. If it seems incomprehensibly bizarre, that's because it is—until you've actually experienced it (not unlike one's view of sex—before actual sex).

But a supernaturalistic worldview + brainwashing + group psychology + desperation = a recipe for just about anything to happen and you interpret it in any way you're told—double that, if you're still a child! So no, I didn't know it was me and only me speaking in tongues or giving prophecies or praying for the sick or getting "slain in the Spirit" (euphemism for falling/flying down). I was told, in no uncertain terms, that it couldn't be me; that it must be the Holy Spirit and only the Holy Spirit, through which I was able to do them. (That, or an unclean spirit, if I didn't have my heart right! [OMG!! Don't be sinning!] But still, NEVER me myself.)

@silvereyes I'm glad! Since that was part, I think, of what you wanted to get out of your original question. 🙂

When I was young, I could not imagine adults buying into the fantasy garbage they were feeding us. I thought the entire church things was just a mind game to mess with youth and control them. I thougth church was just live fantasy theatre and the adults secretly knew were aware of this. It wasn't until my 20's before I realized so many adults never grew up and actually believed the garbage they were peddling. This cold realization diminished my optimism for our country's future.

@NoMagicCookie Recognizing this to be true of both my past self, many intelligent people who I love, and not an insignificant portion of humanity, has similarly darkened my perspective.

Exhibit A: Think right now how our own government is honoring a man for little more than making people a bit happier through believing narratives little more real than fairy tales!

Yes. As a former believer, I was passionate about it. I always had questions about faith and knowledge and was very confused that so many people seemed to think they were the same thing. Their statement, "I KNOW God lives and loves me!" would be how their faith was strengthened, just creating an endless cycle of using faith and knowledge interchangeably.

Goat Level 5 Feb 26, 2018

If they really believed that "God is in control and everything that happens is His will" they wouldn't buy insurance, or take their children to the doctor when they're sick.
They wouldn't want to thwart "God's will."

I don't need to go to weekly atheist meetings to reinforce my world view. But the religious need the constant reaffirmation of their shaky beliefs by attending church every Sunday. They tend to shun the company of those who do not believe as they do out of fear, I think, of being exposed to ideas that might buoy their secret misgivings. Threats of crucifixion or being burned at the stake make them cling ever tighter to their irrational thoughts as admitting to their doubts would be a more difficult situation with which to deal. For some irrationality is easier to live with than acknowledging there are no concrete answers.

Some believe it, some do not. The cynic in me says that the non-believers use it as a means to power and money.

marga Level 7 Feb 26, 2018

I could be wrong, but I think a majority of religionists 'believe' because it's what they were told and simply do so out of fear.

I think most do believe. With that being said, what modern neuroscience is showing is that the brain is more of a Congress and different parts win at different times.

I read about a study where they audio recorded people during a game. The game was rigged from some to lose and some to win. When the researchers played back the recording, people had trouble recognizing their own voice when they were in the losing conduction, but not in the winning conduction. That is pretty interesting in and of itself, but then they tested them with a skin galvanic test, which responds in a special way when you hear your own voice. The skin galavanic test showed that somewhere they were aware it was their own voice. How much is conscious is the question.

I don't remember where I read the study... Maybe "The Morale Animal". It was many years ago.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

There are some who may have normal doubt and are in denial about that doubt. They are afraid if anyone really discovered their doubt, or the doubting individual may hate their doubt because they may see it as a weakness in their faith or it may indicate to them that they are evil (you know, like those evil non-believers 😉 ).

any "faith" will have its questions, i do believe there are true believers tho.

I don't think people who get wealthy using religion believe at all...I would bet they are all atheistic confolk. As for the insecurity of faith, it has to be insecure at some level or you get zealotry, whatever the faith that you have.

The human mind is a funny thing. People can convince them selves of almost anything. Even with glaring evidence to the contrary. This gets compounded when you have institutions that reinforce that belief system. Those institutions can easily become corrupt in order to support the power and influence of those in charge.

I have family that truly believes everything that they have been preaching for years. They pray for me even as their children abandon there beliefs.

I have wondered that too. It is difficult to believe that people really believe in a book about talking donkeys, talking snakes,and flying chariots. I think the culture of religion is the big influence. Most don't even know what they believe. I think it is all cultural heritage and pressure.

I think that many get/stay involved with religeon, especially Christianity is because they want/need to believe in something/one more powerful than they are.
Someone to dump on when they pray or from whom to ask for the varsity team's victory, or when they do something wrong, to beg forgiveness from... Then they group up with those of the same mind and try to bring others in to their group. Those not in the group are damned. The damned go to hell. Those not in hell yet are the enemy who may recruit from them or create other non-believers and must be stopped. Change laws to make sinning illegal, incarcerate them...
Do they really buy this? I think they have themselves convenced that they do and if not, they can be forgiven over and over.
It's like a club where they all believe in the same lie, support one another and have an "expert" to tell you how to interpret their book and pamphlets and dogma and collect their money and build churches ever bigger and imposing to draw in more sheep, to explain how hate is a form of love...

Many believe, absolutely. The guys who flew the planes into the towers were believers, believe me!!!

I think it's convenient after a while. They may have believed as children because of fear or as newly converted because they needed purpose in their life. Once that initial fear or high wants, then they hold on to it because they are supposed to and that somehow makes them a good person.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.