Agnostic.com

29 7

Do you think there are more men than woman Athiests or are women more covert about it?

Tiffanny 6 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most polls show men as slightly higher in number to women in the unaffiliated category. If they are covert, they are doing a good job. I can certainly see that not being "out" is a matter of safety for some women, especially in some cultures.

I'm upfront about being atheist..

This is the first group I've belonged to but it looks about even to me

That's a tough call.
I think men might be slightly more vocal about it if any.

I have attached two links. The first addresses atheism worldwide. The second addresses American atheism. Lastly, my observation in the brief time I've been on this site is that men and women are equally represented in posting and commenting.

[en.wikipedia.org]

[pewresearch.org]

Women are less vocal, I know many women non believers.

I think it is generally equal. Men may be more outspoken than women about it, but men in general are generally more outspoken about everything in out culture.

I think men are louder and more militant, perhaps. I'm willing to bet it is roughly equal. I'd be interested to see if there is a vast difference and then, why.

Many are literally driven to reject theologies because they have a stronger, more independent life force making the anti-life environment of all major religions unbearable. I think males and females suffer abuse from the systems but women more so because they are forced early to accept subordinated gender roles.

No sure figures but only a guess that both are about equal but that men feel less social jeopardy connected with open assertion of doubts or disbelief. An open head count would probably find males with a slight numerical edge, with a hypothetical, real head count, I think females would be more numerous. 1. because they are more numerous in the first place. 2. because they usually 'see' a lot more accurately but are a bit smarter in judging possible gains and losses connected with being open.

Some good data on the question, giving geography due consideration, would sure be interesting.

I'd have guessed the actual figures are about the same for women and men, but that in certain societies where women are discouraged from expressing strong opinions, fewer would be willing to express ideas that might be considered against the norm. Here in the UK, where atheism and agnosticism are the norm and declaring your lack of belief in a god or gods doesn't even raise an eyebrow, I would expect a survey to reveal women and men to be equally atheist and religious.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

I don’t really know, but but it seems more male dominated. I was honestly surprised to see so many women on here. Perhaps they’re just less conspicuous.

You’re probably right. @SACatWalker

I think it's harder for women to leave because they've invested so heavily in the idea of a divine reward for their constant sacrifices.

Some people are talking about how men are more vocal, considering how some women in the community are treated, it's not surprising.
Here is an example
[skepchick.org]
Let the flame war begin.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

I wish I could favorite this comment.

are you asking me to guess?

Good question. I would guess that there are more men atheists. To a greater extent, women are taught by their society to be conformists.

Surely there must be some real data here, but in the absence of any data at hand and speaking as a MCP, I would say that there are more men Atheists. Women tend to be believers and men pre-tend to be believers so they can manipulate the non-believers. For example - Elmer Gantry and Billy Graham.

Never thought about it in that way. Is there a greater propensity for men or women to require moral or emotional support through belief in god(s)? Never thought about it that way either.

What have been the results of your enquiries into such a distinction? What could be the reasons for your observations?

Women may be more covert because of their social surrounding. Just a hunch.

I think women are better at trying to fit in socially and not disappoint their families.

For instance, my mother was United Methodist, and liberal, but went along with our strict mission to get along for my dad's sake, who was doing engineer work for them. But she would tell us girls privately that we only had to follow the dress code when strict missionaries were around, and she also totally accepted her LGBTQ relatives.

She would laugh and tell the story about grandparents inviting the parson to dinner, who snooped in their closet and found a hidden TV. He rushed into the dining room, triumphantly asking, "WHY did I just see a TV tool of the Devil in your closet?!"

The grandfather glanced up and deadpanned, "Because you looked."

The higher percentage of males identified as atheist being much higher than females is well known.

According to the Atheist Census.com the figure for the US. Approx 66% male, 34% female.

[atheistcensus.com]

Since this site has a higher proportion of US members compared to other, this is a figure to compare with this site.

There is a lot of speculation about why that is. This includes that women are less likely to come out as atheist. I think there are a lot of reasons. I'm doing some research on this at the moment.

I think so... women are more aware of their positions in social support networks where as men often are oblivious about ostracizing themselves.

Probably men and women are about equally represented. I know that I lived much of my life covertly, partly because of my family of Southern Baptists, partly because Madiline Murry O'Hare disappeared, and other things. I'm out now, and my family believes I'm in league with the devil, LOL. One cannot live to please those who are do not believe what they see and who follow without question.

Id say it's about even

I think, as usual but not fairly, men have a higher profile but there's plenty of ladies on here, a lot of whom have a voice, and to misquote the King's Speech - 'A very good voice'

Way more women as they are the ones at the short end of the stick

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29510
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.