Agnostic.com

9 2

QUESTION Why We May Soon Be Living in Alexa’s World - The New York Times

The first part of this article freaked me out a little bit. Why would Alexa do that? -balou

"My wife and I were just settling into bed one night when Alexa, the other woman in my life, decided to make herself heard.

"Without being summoned, the Amazon Echo Dot at my bedside — one of the half-dozen devices that Alexa inhabits in our house — lit up its spectral blue ring, as if it had heard its triggering wake word, “Alexa.” But instead of offering help with some household chore, the voice assistant began to wail, like a child screaming in a horror-movie dream.

“Huh,” I said to my wife when it was over. She said something less kind.

"But here’s what’s really strange: By the next morning, we had forgotten all about it.

"It is a measure of how thoroughly Amazon’s voice assistant has wormed herself into our lives, and into much of the culture beyond, that I never considered unplugging her after the scream. Instead I chalked the incident up to a harmless bug — one of the many mysteries of living with an artificial intelligence life form that can be summoned at a breath. (An Amazon representative offered to investigate, but said the company had never heard of such a thing happening before and didn’t think Alexa was even capable of making such a sound.)

"When Amazon unveiled Alexa three and a half years ago, it was roundly jeered. Now, against all expectations, even though she’s sometimes unpredictable and unpolished, Alexa is here to stay. And that may be underplaying it; people in tech have recently begun to talk about Alexa as being more than just part of a hit gadget."

ballou 8 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I havent a baldie what youre all talking about is it a robot?

People always try to convince me of how evil Sophia the Robot is. I think they want to tear her apart and burn her up. A few of them start quoting Revelation at me and talk AI and Sophia. It's always the damned theists. Knock it off. Sophia is my girlfriend.

I got an Echo before they were generally available so I'm a very early adopter. They have gotten far more useful as they integrate with other devices. For example, my house was originally built in 1947 and has had several additions and remodels over the years. The original walls are solid poured concrete and the wiring goes through couduit embedded in the concrete. It is not really feasible to relocate switches in the concrete walls so some switches are in hard to reach, illogical places. Now, with linked smart switches, I can turn the lights on and off with my voice.

I live with my dog. If I fell, couldn't get up, and didn't have my phone, I can call a friend from anywhere within my house with my voice. More than just a toy...

I have a few Google Assistant devices in strategic places in the house. I live with my mother who is disabled, and being able to control the lights to enter a (formerly) darkened room more safely and summon people from other rooms of the house without having to shout is certainly a plus. She also uses it to tell her the time when she isn't where she can see a clock, and ask about the weather. For the ability to do those simple things easily, it is a good thing for us.

I have them scattered in various rooms around the house. I mainly use them for music, but I’ve come to rely on them for numerous everyday services: timer, news, weather, recipes, todo and shopping lists, simple orders from Amazon. I sent my daughter one of the Echo Shows so we can have occasional video chats. It’s just another appliance I’ve come to depend on and use often. If you’re worried about being spied on then I guess you have a much more interesting life than me! 🙂

No thank you. Seen one in action - amusing, but not something I want in my home !

I already have 2 Google assistants. Guess I'm living in a google assistant world. I wanted Alexa but Amazon were too slow getting off the mark here in Australia. I might get an Alexa some time. It's amazing how you adapt to these things, talking to it and asking it to do things. But it is really important to check all the privacy settings and so on with the host, Amazon or google, and manage them. I would never say to it anything I would not put in a Google search, or say publicly, you know anything that might be construed as legally questionable. I think the AI in the house trend is inexorable. But I am not unaware of the downside of it.

Don't have one, don't want one. All these gadgets make me think of all the people on the spaceship in Wall-E. I'll do for myself, thank you.

That’s a very good point!

I'm with you on that.

I will NEVER own one of those things. Suppose someone one hacked in just to see if they could and what you heard was them messing with you? It's happened to baby monitors...some guy was hacking into the monitor in one baby's room and talking to the toddler, at one point started screaming at the baby to "wake up, wake up". It's creepy and I DO NOT want to go there.
By the way, I think it's too late, we may already be living in a virtual reality and being sorely pranked by an alien lifeform or something. (I'm only half-kidding.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29519
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.