Agnostic.com

18 2

What do you do about an ex who's being a bad parent?

The one thing that makes me loose my mind is everything my daughter has missed out on because of her mother. I don't want to bad mouth her but I want my daughter to understand that I want more for her.
I have too many examples of trying to not get into a fight pleading with her mother to take her to activities or planned events or to just let her go play with friends. I go insane over the constant response "It's my day, I'll do with her what I want".
I can't stand knowing my daughter is missing out and that I am powerless to stop it without paying tens of thousands to lawyers in the hopes maybe the court system can change things, but the court system has more often failed at this task and I am not convinced the fight would not cause more damage than it might solve.
Anyone else have a similar situation? How have you dealt with it?

ThomasLevi 6 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Family Court lawyers can represent your child, for free......

"Ya can't make mom do anything & your frustration gives her power over you. Let it go & be there for your daughter instead of mom.

"Lose". It is "LOSE my mind".

I have dealt with this quite a bit over the years. First and foremost, always set the best example you can for your child. In due time they will figure out who is positive and who is negative. It hurts to see your child harmed, but You will always know that you provided a SOLID positive influence.

Second, document everything. You may need dates and times of incidents, someday in court.

Third, if you feel that the situation warrants it, get it in court in front of a judge, even if you have to do it yourself with no representation.

That third step is big and scary, but there are organizations out there that can assist you and lots of materials you can study to get you familiar with the family law statutes in your state. You CAN do it if you are organized and meticulous. I have done it numerous times, and each time the judge can look back on the history of previous visits to court. Each time the judge has said, "I see your concerns and I am glad you brought them before the court." I haven't always gotten what I wanted, but I HAVE ensured that our child is safe, every time, and made small changes to ensure that he stays that way, every time. I have prevented her from taking him out of state, as well as other unsafe situations on numerous occasions. this past December, I was able to finally narrow contact down to supervised visitation only, and watch my son turn into a far more positive member of the household and society at large because her toxic influence has now been effectively throttled.

I hope that your situation isn't as dire or as dramatic as mine, and I hope you can set the example for your daughter that will lead her to be a brilliant adult. Stability is key. it is what the court will look at, and what Child Protective Services or whatever it is called in your area, will look at. Keep on fighting the good fight.

I assume we are talking about poor parenting and not abuse or neglect as they should be dealt with legally.

Be the best parent you can be. Do not over compensate. Your child already has an example of how it should not be done. Give them the best example you can of how it should be done.

Yes, thank you, that is what I have been doing, though sometimes my frustration gets dumped on my daughter because I want her fo fight for what she is missing. But like most of us, she does not know what she is missing so is unmotivated to make her own fuss.

It can be very frustrating. We all want our kids to have the best, or at the very least good, in all aspects of their life. We each have limited control. My kids are all adults, although very new to it, and we have excellent relationships. Maintaining that is important as it will allow you to have ongoing impact in their lives.
Always be magnanimous and forgiving and do not let your frustrations translate to your daughter. Don't make her choose between parents in any way. She will thank you for that one day.

I know it sucks to feel like your kid is missing out on stuff and there’s nothing you can do about it. All you can do is the best you can for her.

My ex was a deadbeat dad even while he lived with us. He didn’t parent, engage, or keep his promises. By the time our son was 13 he had figured this out for himself. When your daughter gets older, she will be allowed to weigh in on her living situation.

Also realize that your ex might be pushing back just to be able to say no to you. You probably need to ask if she’s willing to get your daughter to classes/lessons/practices before signing your daughter up for things. Depending on how old she is, your daughter might need to ask her mom to do some things, rather than you getting in the middle.

Lastly, in my experience and from what I’ve heard from others, kids really just need one loving, supportive adult to be ok. Good luck

She has a loving and supportive mother but one who is only focused on what she does and does not want to do and wants her daughter all to herself, even if she's sleeping or praying for hours or going to church several times a week.
And I said this above, sometimes my frustration gets dumped on my daughter because I want her fo fight for what she is missing. But like most of us, she does not know what she is missing so is unmotivated to make her own fuss.

My guess is, this is very painful for you. I was a divorced parent from an alcoholic husband. And, it wasn't good...no matter which a way that you look at his parenting. Hopefully, you have yourself together. much better than I had when my children were preteens. That goes a long way. First, children are more resilient than you know and if you can bring some clarity to her upbringing...it will cancel out a lot of the crazy stuff, from your ex's end. Never, underestimate the 'smarts' of a child. Ofcourse, we want to give our children all the things that we think, will help them in their grown up, life. Concentrate, on what you can give your daughter. Be sure, that you listen to all she has to say...as you can empower her to handle her situation. She will need that everywhere, she goes as you will not always be there! Her mother will be her mother for as long as they live, so search out the best and promote that. Help your daughter to have the best memories of her childhood that you possibly can. (When my children bring up their hurt and sad momeries, I see how they live on.they are 50-60yr old people) Try not to worry about what you cannot give your daughter! Any person, that has a good foundation of love, understanding and (mostly) security, will be able to make a good life for themselves...as adults. Help whereever you can, with your ex, and realize that whatever is wrong at her end...is not your fault and it could even level out, over time. For sure pointing out, all that she is doing wrong...will help no one! Just do what is best as a father. And, that will be enough. Best of luck...

What you want your daughter to remember about her childhood is times with both parents, not that both parents argues about her. As long as the ex isn't abusing your daughter (and by abuse I do not mean not parenting her the way you believe she should be. I mean physically/sexually/emotionally abusing her), I would just let it be.

Am I the only one who read this post as "How do I use my daughter to control my ex even though she doesn't want me in her life anymore?" ?

Actually, the reality is the my ex uses our daughter as a weapon against me, always has. When we were married things as simple as wanting to take her to the zoo when her mother didn't want to go were denied. That might sound weird but as I would get our daughter ready to go, her mother would literally get the way of it and state flat out that our daughter was not going. Our daughter has always been her source of control over me,

Microwave her insulin.

Buy six ounces of meth. Plant it in or around her person and call the authorities. Just joking (MAYBE), otherwise...

LOL - Can't say the thought has not crossed my mind, but maybe something a little less extreme.

I spent years in court and finished up with sole care and custody of both my kids, as well as the son of an ex. I lost everything both times, but kept the kids, we are close, my kids treat my foster son as a brother though he is 10 years younger, they all look our for each other.

I fought to stay out of court and caved just enough to get equal time, not wanting to take my daughter from her mother but hoping her mother would eventually step up and be a responsible parent putting our Childs needs first. I got half way there. Spending thousands in court and months or years fighter just did not make sense having been through that as a kid.

@ThomasLevi Agree with your perspective, my fight was for shared care, my ex would not play nice, lied, forged documents, and in the end the court was sick of it, made me sole carer of the kids and she needed my permission to see them. Kids were happy, I never denied her permission but it made her stop taking them from me as she could have been jailed for it.

@Rugglesby When my wife left she tried for full custody but quickly learned that being a full time parent was more work than she was up for. Even though I never wanted kids I was completely up for being a full time parents so even though I was initially given very brief visitation, he mother quickly went against the courts directions to let me have more time. This got her into trouble which was good for me because it made it much easier to get her to drop the lawyers and the charges that made up and that could have made my life very difficult. Sometimes a shit lawyer is a good thing.

Echoing what others have said, I wouldn't focus on could be if she would do things differently, but only what you can do.
I don't know you so please don't take this as something personal, but often times in divorces, people are bitter at each other beyond reason. I would check yourselves to make sure you are not making a bigger deal of the situation. I'm dealing with a similar situation right now with my ex and I have to check myself all the time. I attempt, to the limits of my introspection, to have copartenting be there top goals and let everything else go. I know it's hard at times for myself, which it why I bring it up.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

Well stated

The situation was the same while we were married, part of the reason everything fell apart. I could not focus on work knowing that my daughter almost never got to go outside and never was able to have friends over or go to friends unless I was home, I have taken an extended time off of work to undo some of what I see as damage done, making up for lost time and making sure my daughter has a rich and full social life with many friends that she can see outside of school, something she never got with her mother.
I actually wrote another post on forgiveness, it was my ability to forgive that we were able to have a quick and relatively painless divorce. Now it's just the frustration of seeing her mother continue the same isolating behavior, albeit only half the time now. And knowing when I go back to work it will be up to my daughter to fight for her ability to have friends outside of school.

Tell them and if they don't listen act on it.

I just try to keep balance, to make sure the mother knows that she is causing our daughter to miss out without making it a fight. If her mother had her more of the time it would be a bigger deal because at least she doesn't miss out when she is with me.

you know you better

I write everything down maybe I'll get to use it in the future maybe I won't but when he's with me I try to be the best parent I can that's All I can do

When our daughter was young she was powerless and ignorant of what she could have. Now that she is older and knows how much opportunity she has it is better, but she still is unwilling or unable to stand up to her mother to tell her what she wants. Being the better parent doesn't help when my daughter is missing out because of her mother.

@ThomasLevi it's a fine line we have to walk. But all we can do is out best and hope Italy works out in the end

@SimonMorgan1 Italy always works out. Let me guess, Siri? LOL

@ThomasLevi lmao I actually corrected that from another mistake , not Siri but EE's new phone the hawk , got a sale pitch about it and as I'm not really bothered about phones they all seem the same to me , wish I hadn't now it's not good at all

I agree with Crimson. Letting go is the best way I have found to deal with the time I don't spend with my son. How his mother and step-father parent/enforce/guide/teach/allow is their business, as long as it isn't harming my son. We have very different ideas on life. They are right siding Christians. I'm a left siding nihilist, ex-Buddhist. We only see eye to eye on a few things regarding our child. I mainly focus on the time I spend with him and making sure he feels heard, loved, and happy.

I disagree partly, I need to be an advocate for my daughter. Leaving something to someone who you see is doing a bad job it's no good to sit idly by and say "well that's their business". If it's ONLY their kid then yes. But when It's my child it is definitely my business. There are many aspects that I do say "that's her business" like her attempt at religious indoctrination and the fact that even at 9 she still has our daughter sleep with her, which she did since she was born throughout our marriage much to my objection. I focus on encouraging good parenting by encouraging her mother to take part in outside activities and letting her play with friends rather than isolating her.

@ThomasLevi Hey now, I was replying to your initial post. Which had nothing to do with religion or where your daughter sleeps. Those points you brought up in your reply, I do NOT agree with. No religion, in my opinion should be forced on a child, and they should always have their own bed. I side with you completely there. Please understand, with incomplete info, I can only lend applicable opinion and experience.

Also, I have not read all of your responses to the other posts, I will do so and try to gather more info on your situation to give more complete advice.

@Corwin Sorry if I came off more aggressive than intended, I was just giving you more information. I did say only partly on my disagreement 😉

Your question raises more questions. What is your current custody arrangement? Sounds like it IS shared custody. That being said, you really do not have much of a say in how mom spends her time with your child. UNLESS, that is, she is somehow causing harm. With the information available here, my advice to you is to make the absolute best of the time you have with your daughter. I have gone through two divorces and both unions produced one child each. In both cases, I can't say the moms did anything I specifically disapproved of.

It might be easier to comment with more information. I hope this helps.

I wrote this above. There are many aspects that I do say "that's her business" like her attempt at religious indoctrination and the fact that even at 9 she still has our daughter sleep with her, which she did since she was born throughout our marriage much to my objection. I focus on encouraging good parenting by encouraging her mother to take part in outside activities and letting her play with friends rather than isolating her. She has full freedom with me but is still not old enough or self empowered enough to stand up to her mother and I think not yet cognizant of what she is actually missing out on.

She's not interested in anything but what she wants. Not much you can do about that.

And that would be frustrating enough but I don't need her to be interested, It is the fact that she keeps our daughter from being able to do anything that she wants that makes me crazy. It's one thing to not be interested in taking a child somewhere she want's to go, it's another to prevent her from going all together when there are other ways for her to take part.

@ThomasLevi I get it. It's extraordinarily frustrating. I have a nephew going through the same thing. Even after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on lawyers, custody is still shared, and he's had to take what he could get., and he still has to put up with his daughter's mother's shenanigans. It's not right, it's not fair, but it is what is. Here's the thing, when they are old enough, they WILL start asking questions. I didn't learn about A LOT of what went on between my parents until I was an adult. I had to rely on my aunt to tell me some of the bullshit that went on during my parents' marriage, and subsequent divorce. Your daughter is going to come to you at some point with her questions. All you can do is wait for that, and in the interim, do your best to make her time with you as productive and nurturing as possible. The only thing you have the ability to control are your own actions.

@KKGator I was just pointing out above that I posted here just to vent, it's soothing to know it's not just me. And all in all I was very fortunate, my ex got a really crappy lawyer and my ex quickly saw that she had made some major mistakes in trusting that lawyer so that I was able to talk her into dropping the lawyers all together. But she still uses our daughter to exert power over me while, in my opinion, failing to be a good parent. I know these things are out of control but it's my daughter who misses out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.